Seconds thoughts (1 Viewer)

gwilymprice

HSC
I'm starting 1st year this year, and I have been super keen for my degree (engineering) and it has been what i've wanted to do for years, but now I am having second thoughts about it. If I am having second thoughts does this mean it might not be the right degree for me? Is this a common feeling among first years? A bit worried it won't be 'sciencey' enough for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I have random scuffles on my degree like: "How am I going to get through COMP1917?" or "I'm so bad at soldering", etc.

But these are very minimal things and then I realise that I was only under these impressions due to nerves of not doing so well in first year.

I'm sure after first year it will be fine. If it isn't then you should be able to transfer internally into something science related easily since most science and engineering students have at least half their courses common with each other.

gwilymprice

HSC
Yeah thanks sup and AD, I think it is just 'big decision nerves' will be good once i start actually class I think :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm starting 1st year this year, and I have been super keen for my degree (engineering) and it has been what i've wanted to do for years, but now I am having second thoughts about it. If I am having second thoughts does this mean it might not be the right degree for me? Is this a common feeling among first years? A bit worried it won't be 'sciencey' enough for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
I think it's pretty natural to question yourself at such a doors sliding type of moment. I certainly did.

The thing is, if it's what you have wanted to do so long, you will likely like it. And if not, most people don't know what really ticks until they get into uni, in which they can change their subject selection within their degree/focus or either switch degrees completely. It's only from experience and trying you learn more about yourself.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
I have random scuffles on my degree like: "How am I going to get through COMP1917?" or "I'm so bad at soldering", etc.

But these are very minimal things and then I realise that I was only under these impressions due to nerves of not doing so well in first year.

I'm sure after first year it will be fine. If it isn't then you should be able to transfer internally into something science related easily since most science and engineering students have at least half their courses common with each other.
I've had random conversations like this to myself ever since I started... my favourate ones are, "I should have done engineering" and my all time favourate "why are people smarter than me" :haha:... stay patient, it can be testing at times, but, you can also grow to like what you are doing... if not you can always transfer into something you see yourself actually doing...

enoilgam

HSC

Definitely true - it all looks daunting at the begining of the year/semester with uni, but in hindsight, it usually isnt so bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)