Secret to achieving 95+ in pdh??? (1 Viewer)

o0-Prodigy-0o

HSC
I'm a pdhpe student who has curently just enterned year twelve and will be sitting for the hsc next year. I know how to sneak into a band 6 but i'm not quiet sure of how to get into that high band 6 range. I was told to achieve that mark you must go beyond your given text (textbook) and get ahold of other papers and resources (ie- hsc papers, other textbooks, school exams). DOes anyone know if this is the right way to go cause this is yr 12 and this year is what makes or breaks you and i don't want to stuff up.

So please any advice would be welcomed.

Please and thankyou.

1st assignment (worth 15%)- 14/15%
2nd assignment (worth 15%)- 14/15%
3rd assignment (half-yearly)- 95%

<<<Prodigy>>>

(so help me god) My Aim- 97 in Pdhpe

Last edited:

ibewatto

HSC
read the syllabus, know it like the freckles on your penis and be able to elaborate on every point in detail. they can only test what is in the syllabus. learn to link areas that are similar but not often thought about...for PDHPE i dont know what you could do i dont do it but learn the syllabus inside out. or get a hold of the answers before hand

Adam.Meads

HSC
Hey, I just achieved an external mark of 99 in PDHPE, and my assessment mark was 94 ... Which made for a HSC mark of 97, which I was stoked with!

The exam itself wasn't particularly difficult.

The main thing with PE is just KNOWING YOUR SYLLABUS. Know the dot points backwards. There are books you can either get off your teacher, or buy, which outline ALL the dotpoints in a manner that is very easy to study.

Once you know the dotpoints of the syllabus, all you need to do is to learn them; this is the easy part. Alot of them are common sense, some may need some external knowledge.

Once you know all your syllabus dotpoints and some fairly advanced knowledge of them, practice applying them to past papers - this is the important bit.

It gets easier as you go along, and you learn the syllabus, as its a very content ladened course.

Best of luck in '08!

o0-Prodigy-0o

HSC
Ty, from what i've gathered so far the MAIN thing is the syllabus. LEarn it inside out and then practice questions. Also getting extra texts that focus on the Syallubus is a good idea.

Ty, and i'm still open to any more suggestions. :D

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Secret? :lol: it's just HARD WORK;)
^^To Adam.Meads
Adam.Meads said:
The exam itself wasn't particularly difficult.
- the 2007 exam was fairer compared to other years [but congrats on your marks:D].
In the past they've given emphasis to very specific parts of the syllabus, which tend to throw people off if you don't know syllabus. [ie there was a question about "barriers to participating in sport" [it's NOT that but it's something like that] and people talked about fences surrounding ovals preventing people from getting onto the field to play etc instead of safety equipment. KNOW YOUR SYLLABUS.

Learn to write fast and link things!! My 1/2 yearly/trial question for 15 marks involved the Ottawa Charter (DRCBS), Jakarta Declaration (PICIS) on 2 of Australia's National Health Priority Areas + examples.

And like Karen said "finding relevant and up to date stats." To write a good response you will often need heaps of examples like health promotion initiatives (core 1) and types of training (core 2). It's like English at times, to answer the question fully you have to give evidence which will come through your examples.

KNOW YOUR HSC VOCAB WORDS!! Like every other HSC course, you have to know what the question is asking before you can write a good response. eg "Evaluate [ - needs a judgement at the end] the effectiveness of the JD in HP initiatives in terms of cancer:" write about one of the JD headings + example of this initiative in promoting health strategies + its effectiveness as shown by epidemiology/recent statistics/trends on morbidity/mortality/prevalence...

USE THE LANGUAGE OF THE SYLLABUS [ie use the words/vocab of the syllabus]. "social determinants, epidemiology, prevalence, morbidity, mortality, social justice principles: "..."...". etc. It shows you have intimate knowledge of it.

Be concise and answer the question. That's how you'll get the marks [duh.]:D

...and if that didn't make any sense/is slightly incorrect, particularly my examples[which weren't really thought out but *meh*:eek:], it's cuz I haven't done PE in a looooooooong time so :p :cool:

Good luck guys.
:):)

o0-Prodigy-0o

HSC
ty beanie i really understood what you were saying. Basically what i understood was don't go to off topic and be concise with your answers. Use examples and up to date stats, by the way in my first assesment task i put in a graph which was from the australian health foundation and was about the major causes of death, would this get shift me into the high band 6 range, well if i explained it properly??? The VOCAB words are also very important aren't they cause they are basically the question, so i should know those in detail, right?

I'm aiming for a very high PDH mark, possibly even one of the highest in the state, although the one thing that troubles me is the multiple choice!!!! Is regular revision (i.e. - doing past hsc multiple choice questions) the answer??

ty for all info so far

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Not a problem, happy to help. ;):D

Hmmm, the graph could work but personally I think it's just wasted effort and precious time cuz the markers would just glance at it, then just keep reading your response, then make up their mind on your mark. Also you might end up spending too much time trying to explain said graph and not quite answering the question. [ask what your teacher thinks, they would probs know more than me;)]

Also don't waste your time trying to remember a whole heap of stats [or trying to find the absolute latest ones], the syllabus doesn't require you to do so - they're asking for the trends mostly. As long as your stats don't contradict what your saying and seem plausible you should be fine - like if you don't know that the average life expectancy of a female living in Australia is 83.5 years as long as you write something close to the figure eg "just over 83 years/approximately 84 years/...etc" ..."TSI and Aboriginal suffer *inequities in health/*...something-something...* as statistics/epidemiology shows their average life expectancy is 15-20 years below that of *.... ....*"

Regular revision is the key to success in all subjects!! Past HSC papers give you the best practice. Trial papers eg Catholic/Independent papers can often give quite odd M/C questions, I remember many an in-class debate about the correct answer. Also READ the QUESTION and ANSWERS CAREFULLY!! Trick questions/easy answer - moment lapse in judgement/accidentally circle the wrong letter but knew the write answer[enuf said!].

People also often change correct answers to incorrect answers when they go over the MC questions, often your first hunch is correct, only change it if YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY SURE!

Just so you know, the guy who topped the state in '06 didn't get 100% in his MC and HSC markers have debated over the correct answer to MC questions, so now they don't get to see the answers to MC sections.

One more bit of advice, if you can get a hold of STUDENT EXEMPLAR ANSWERS, this will give an absolutely amazing insight into how top students answered questions and how they structured it and how markers mark questions. [there's a box with a comment about what was good/excellent about response, why it got in the range that it.] I think they also give band 3/4 answers, so you can compare B3/4 responses with B5/6 responses, and you'll gain an understanding of why they got into their respective bands.

:lol:Woah, long response! Hope it helps.:read: :cool:

o0-Prodigy-0o

HSC
omg beanie ur such a life saver, i now know the basic principles to achieving in this course, well from what i've gathered i think it is;

-Knowing the Syallubus inside out.

- past hsc and trial (eg- catholic papers) exams.

- Student exemplar answers and compare band 5/6 answers to 3/4 answers and basically see what i need to do to become one of the top in the state.

-study the current trends and not mainly focus on statistics, focus more on the trends and the reasons behind these trends and how they interrelate with one another, eg- low socioeconomic status for australians may have a great influence on australia's life expectancy.

-Gathering information from successful students like beanie and you guys

testiclepilot

HSC
The secret?

STUDY.
STUDY STUDY STUDY.

And do your bloody assignments, and do homework, and even if there is no homework, do questions from the textbook or past papers and get your teacher to look over them.

And study.

o0-Prodigy-0o

HSC
It's all in the syllabus isn't it, my teacher told me that to succeed in this subject (a 95+) you must know every dot point in the syllabus so well that you can recall it when a person asks. Also writing notes for each dot-point is also the key and past hsc papers.

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC
my teacher tells us that to get tops marks u need to basically use your textbook and syllabus to note take... your textbook should have headings so wha u do for an exam or revision of a core or option is u take ur notes/summaries and resummarise them, and orally answer each dot point... im doing it and 100% so far at NSBHS

Tim035

HSC
I got 96 external, 96 internal for pdhpe and a UAI of 96.5

Knowing that syllabus as everyone has mentioned is vital. You need to able to list and expand on all the points under ANY heading with thorough and relevant examples, as it is these heading in the syllabus from which a essay style question will stem.
I also made it my goal to write 1 extended responce EVERY afternoon and 4 - 5 responces each day durring trial / stu vac periods. There are hundreds of questions alone on this website, plus pick your teachers brain to come up with questions for you.

PDHPE, there is nothing hard about it, just a hell of a lot to learn. However having just completed first year med sci, the amount you have to learn in pdhpe isn't that bad.

o0-Prodigy-0o

HSC
Tim035 said:
I got 96 external, 96 internal for pdhpe and a UAI of 96.5

Knowing that syllabus as everyone has mentioned is vital. You need to able to list and expand on all the points under ANY heading with thorough and relevant examples, as it is these heading in the syllabus from which a essay style question will stem.
I also made it my goal to write 1 extended responce EVERY afternoon and 4 - 5 responces each day durring trial / stu vac periods. There are hundreds of questions alone on this website, plus pick your teachers brain to come up with questions for you.

PDHPE, there is nothing hard about it, just a hell of a lot to learn. However having just completed first year med sci, the amount you have to learn in pdhpe isn't that bad.
ty for the info tim, i really appreciate it and i won't study evryday lol but i'll try to go well hehe.

TY TONNES!!!!! REALLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!! :)

Last edited:

mandoush

HSC
i got 95.. how can u possibly spend every afternoon doing pd when thers 4 other subjects to study for? memorise ur sylabus and understand what the question is asking u. eg evaluate kno wot it means. and just practice past papers and you wont go rong. remeber multiple choice is easy marks that can go to waste aswell.
so
memorise sylabus
do past papers
read your text book
make notes. not str8 from the book in your own words so u understand, graphs and mindmaps can help
go well in your assessments gaurentee 95+

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
look at the syllabus and highlight the points that you think are most important and search on the internet, making notes on each point. Look at books in the library.

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC
oh well, i've put like 15 mins max a day on pd and i'm on like 98.7% after 55% of the course. go figure.

seva6491

HSC
Hey, i came 1st in the state in PDHPE in the 2007 HSC.

My advice is to think laterally and have some really really good preperation material.

Know your syllabus but go beyond the syllabus to achieve really high marks. Think of some great examples from your sporting experience and integrate them into your responses. Knowing what to study and which areas of the syllabus to strategically focus on is very important.

best of luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)