Section 1 - Law & Society (1 Viewer)

HSC
lol, according to my legal studies teacher, in the marking centre last year, there were teachers arguing for every single one of the 4 options for the rule of law question.
but i guess the only way you can really make a legal studies test hard by making the multiple choice more ambiguous. lets just be thankful they didnt pull a 'religion' on us.
I can definitely see that happening lol. Hmm, well apart from asking about natural law yeah no "religion" questions was definitely a smart decision amongst an array of ambiguous questions:D

I personally think Ross Gittins response to the Eco exam in the SMH is appropriate here "multiple-choice questions can place the brightest students at a disadvantage. They think too much about other possibilities and unstated assumptions. The solution for them is to ask a different question: not "what's the right answer?" but "what does the examiner think is the right answer?""

Good luck all:)

-_-

HSC
Can someone post up the questions?

MzBiiBii

HSC
Can someone post up the questions?
Sam5 already has on page 3.

1. Which of the following is a type of private law?

(A) Administrative
(B) Constitutional
(C) Criminal
(D) Tort

2. What is an essential feature of a just law?

(A) It is know
(B) It is passed by parliament
(C) It has been considered by the high court
(D) It represents the application of natural justice

3. Which of the following is an example of state soverignty?

(A) Customary Law
(B) A citizen voting in an election
(C) A nation making laws for its citizens
(D) The right of NSW to ignore the Australian Constitution

4. A gym prohibits independent personal trainers from training their clients on its premises. What type of law allows the gym to do this?

(A) Tort
(B) Contract
(C) Property
(D) Constitutional

5. Which of the following rights is an example of a collective right?

(A) Economic
(B) Environmental
(C) Peace
(D) Self Determination

6. Kim has been arrested for shoplifting. In a court, he exercises hig right to remain silent. What type of right is he exercising?

(A) Civil
(B) Legal
(C) Human
(D) Constitutional

7. Which of the following is true of common law?

(A) It is based on precedent
(B) It may be changed by jurise
(C) It is based on the Constitution
(D) It cannot be changed by parliament

8. Which of the following has predictability as its outcome?

(A) Justice
(B) Rule of Law
(C) Self Determination
(D) International Treaties

9. Which is a feature of legal representation?

(A) It is not guarranteed for everyone.
(B) It is not available unless paid for
(C) It is guaranteed under NSW state law
(D) It is guaranteed under the Australian Constitution

10. Betty earns $5000 a week and Joan earns $100 a week. Both have been fined $100 for fare evasion. What is this an example of?

(A) Apparent Bias
(B) Natural Justice
(C) Discrimination
(D) Equality before the Law

11. The NSW government has passed a law to compensate victims of crime. What is this an example of?

(A) Common Law
(B) Natural Justice
(C) The rule of law
(D) Constitutional Law

12. Which feature best illustrates the operation of a civil law system?

(A) Natural Justice is not applied
(B) Most cases are heard before a jury
(C) The doctrine of precedent is relied upon
(D) Paper submissions are relied on more than oral argument

13. Some Australian citizens have been denied entry to America because of their criminal records. Which law has been applied?

(A) Private
(B) Domestic
(C) International
(D) International Treaty

14. Brian, a New Zealand citizen, has been refused entry into a Sydney hotel because of the colour of his skin. Brian decided to take action against the hotel. Which of the following is best able to enfore Brian's rights?

(A) The local court
(B) The Immigration Review Tribunal
(C) The New Zealand High Commission
(D) The Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission

15. Which of the following is a feature of customary law?

(A) Native Title
(B) Terra Nullius
(C) Dsipute resolution
(D) The doctrine of precedent

That was a lot of work!

marie-x0

HSC
Hey Guys,

I can see there is a lot of argument in regards to the answers of the legal studies multiple choice, and we had the same problem last year. I did legal studies last year and thought I'd absolutely stuffed it up and ended up with a legal studies result of 95, so I suggest that everyone not stress. I attempted this years multiple choice, and at this point think I'm more or less correct on most of them. i'll justify them also.

1. Which of the following is a type of private law?

(D) Tort

--> Civil law is considered private, in contrast to administrative, constitutional and criminal which is dealt with in the public domain and concerns everyone rather than private individuals.

2. What is an essential feature of a just law?

(D) It represents the application of natural justice

--> This option was the most feasible of the four.

3. Which of the following is an example of state soverignty?

(C) A nation making laws for its citizens

--> that is precisely what State Sovereignty mainly involves, so that was fairly obvious.

4. A gym prohibits independent personal trainers from training their clients on its premises. What type of law allows the gym to do this?

(C) Property

--> I don't think it is contract law, because the gym technically doesn't have that right because of a contract per se... but rather because it owns the property and may decide what to do with that property as they wish.

5. Which of the following rights is an example of a collective right?

(D) Self Determination

--> another fairly obvious one, I believe.

6. Kim has been arrested for shoplifting. In a court, he exercises hig right to remain silent. What type of right is he exercising?

(B) Legal

--> The right to remain silent is not enshrined in the constitution and nor is it a civil right. It is clearly a legal right.

7. Which of the following is true of common law?

(A) It is based on precedent

--> It was the most feasible of the four and it is also the most correct.

8. Which of the following has predictability as its outcome?

(A) Justice

--> OK so this one is clearly an argued question. However the rule of law does not conspicuously have predictability as its outcome. According to my Legal Studies Syllabus:
"if an issue is dealt with by the law, how well it is dealt with in terms of ease of access, simplicity, consistency, predictability and delivery of just outcomes".
I think that links most closely with Justice.

9. Which is a feature of legal representation?

(A) It is not guarranteed for everyone.

--> Most feasible of the four and it is also true.

10. Betty earns $5000 a week and Joan earns $100 a week. Both have been fined $100 for fare evasion. What is this an example of?

(D) Equality before the Law

--> This is because in front of the law they are treated the same (equally).

11. The NSW government has passed a law to compensate victims of crime. What is this an example of?

(B) Natural Justice

--> This is another which I believed was controversial. I think this option was the best of the four. It is definitely not an example of common law, because it is not made by Judges. It is also clearly not an example of constitutional law, and it is most probably not a result of the rule of law as it has nothing to do with ensuring the law is known by everyone or that it is not applied arbitrarily. Natural Justice is all about enforcing equality, so that seems to be the most correct answer. But this one was certainly mind boggling.

12. Which feature best illustrates the operation of a civil law system?

(D) Paper submissions are relied on more than oral argument

--> Most feasible and obviously correct of the four.

13. Some Australian citizens have been denied entry to America because of their criminal records. Which law has been applied?

(B) Domestic

--> It has nothing to do with international law, International treaties and it is most likely not private law. It is an example of domestic law because America has imposed its domestic law to stop a foreigner into their country. Its as simple as that.

14. Brian, a New Zealand citizen, has been refused entry into a Sydney hotel because of the colour of his skin. Brian decided to take action against the hotel. Which of the following is best able to enfore Brian's rights?

--> This was the most correct answer on the basis that the HREOC primarily deals and redresses discrimination cases. A discrimination case never goes straight to the courts, thus the local court was certainly not an option. The Immigration Review and Tribunal primarily deals with visa and refugee cases so that was totally irrelavent. And finally the New Zealand High Commission is totally and utterly irrelevant to Australian domestic law and matters. They have no effect on our law and have no relation.

15. Which of the following is a feature of customary law?

(D) Dispute Resolution

--> I did for a while think it was native title, however in thinking about the custimary law system I guess D would be the best option.

Hope I was of assistance. Good luck with the last few exams and good luck with getting your results. I know it is a stressful period... I was there in your shoes only one year ago, but it will all be over and worth it in the end.

best wishes

Enchantress91

HSC
Cheers Marie.

Oh BTW, for the question that asked us to compare natural justice and natural law, I was just wondering if you didn't have the exact terminology "procedural fairness" for natural justice, would you lose marks?

'Coz for natural justice, I remember puting something along the lines of "the right for every individual to receive a fair trial before an impartial judge". Would that still be considered to be correct?? Thanks very much.

tenikav

HSC
kay,so got my hands on the exam paper.if i had sat this exam, this would have been my answers;
1. d
2. a
3. c
4. c
5. A (NOTE; i was advised this question was a mistake.the question was corrected from, "Which of the following rights is an example of a collective right?" to, "Which of the following rights is NOT an example of a collective right?" Thus, economic.
6. b
7. a
8. b
9. a
10.d
11. b
12. d
13. b
14. d
15. c

MzBiiBii

HSC
kay,so got my hands on the exam paper.if i had sat this exam, this would have been my answers;
1. d
2. a
3. c
4. c
5. A (NOTE; i was advised this question was a mistake.the question was corrected from, "Which of the following rights is an example of a collective right?" to, "Which of the following rights is NOT an example of a collective right?" Thus, economic.
6. b
7. a
8. b
9. a
10.d
11. b
12. d
13. b
14. d
15. c

How could there be a mistake? The two options you wrote aren't exactly similar... and it wouldn't be fair if they decided to add "NOT" as that changes the whole question..

??

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC

--> This was the most correct answer on the basis that the HREOC primarily deals and redresses discrimination cases. A discrimination case never goes straight to the courts, thus the local court was certainly not an option. The Immigration Review and Tribunal primarily deals with visa and refugee cases so that was totally irrelavent. And finally the New Zealand High Commission is totally and utterly irrelevant to Australian domestic law and matters. They have no effect on our law and have no relation.

I have received the definitive answer to this, which is (A), the Local Court.

Dear Andrew,

I refer to your email regarding the 2009 Higher School Certificate examination in Legal Studies, specifically that Question 14 had no valid response.

The Chief Examiner of the course has provided me with the following advice regarding the issue.

Question 14 addresses the issue of enforceability of rights. Of the four bodies offered as alternatives, only a court can make an order to enforce rights, therefore (A) is the best answer. The Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (now the Australian Human Rights Commission) has the power only to conciliate a complaint and, if agreement cannot be reached, to initiate, but not enforce, an action in a court or tribunal.

The Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission was renamed the Australian Human Rights Commission in September 2008, yet the commission’s legal name remained unchanged until 5 August 2009, well after the time the examination was set and printed. The examination committee was aware of the name change but felt that many students may not have been familiar with the new name and that using it may have caused confusion.

Thank you for your response to the examination, which I will pass on to the committee setting the 2010 examination. Any feedback on the HSC examinations each year is considered carefully in the preparation of the following year’s examination.

Yours sincerely,
Kate Cameron

Senior Assessment Officer HSIE
Assessment and Reporting Branch
Office of the Board of Studies NSW

Ph: 9367 8218 Fx: 9367 8474
Mail: GPO Box 5300, Sydney NSW 2001
Email: kate.cameron@bos.nsw.edu.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)