Section 1, Part B - Short Answer (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Share and discuss your answers here

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
How did people answer the blood cell count question. Did you have to be really specific like putting in a formula of blood cell diameter = length of field of view (m)/(number of red blood cells x the degree of magnification)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
My fave section of the paper-'mirin the 8 marker on the three scientists.

Not sure if my blood cell sketches or bread mould explanation were the best, but good short answer :)

HSC
How did people answer the blood cell count question. Did you have to be really specific like putting in a formula of blood cell diameter = length of field of view (m)/(number of red blood cells x the degree of magnification)
I think u do..that's what I did :/

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
For the 8 marker did people just recount Pasteur's experiment and mention that it showed that microbes caused disease, list koch's postulates and mention that this enabled the cause of a particular disease to be found and connected to the disease and for Burnet did you just touch on the immune response and how memory cells are formed which makes vaccines possible...

gayforniall

HSC
Uni Grad
The bread mould question confused me... I hated it so much that I left it out, fml. I forgot about it completely...

The MacFarlane Burnet question was... yeah, fml.

desmol

HSC
Was the Macfarlane Burnet question even examinable? In the syllabus, he's not mentioned in an actual dot point, only in a title.

HSC
The 5-marker in Communication about how insects and fish use structures to detect vibrations...I had a MASSIVE brain freeze here. Studied it for quite a long time last night, and then just forgot how to answer it :(
The 8-marker...why did they test us on Macfarlane when there wasn't actually a dot in the syllabus saying we had to know exactly what he did!?!

BlakeOlivo

HSC
Uni Grad
Was the Macfarlane Burnet question even examinable? In the syllabus, he's not mentioned in an actual dot point, only in a title.
Yes, they have examined him before, but only in the multiple choice. This is the first time he's been in a short response, which is a bit odd. Thank God I knew what he did- colonal selection theory whooop :D Im pretty sure if you wrote anything about b and t cells then you should get 1 or 2 marks for him.

cornchips1

HSC
For the question with the pedigree chart, what did you put for why it wasn't sex linked but recessive?

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
I also said that the mother, father and husband could be carriers. This would mean that the sons would each have a 50% chance of inheriting the disease.

medicore

HSC
Good paper, harder than previous years imo. Multiple choice had some tricky questions...but communication screwed me over haha, lost like 6 marks there.

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
How did people draw the graph question. I had like 4 1cm grids left over on the horizontal axis.

HSC
For the question with the pedigree chart, what did you put for why it wasn't sex linked but recessive?
The mother {female} and sons {males} have the trait. The mother only has sons, so we can't say it's sex-linked. If she had a daughter, maybe she would also have the trait. thus, it can't be conclusively said that it's sex-linked
The woman's mum and dad don't have the disease, but she has it. therefore, parents are both Tt <<meaning dominant= no trait and recessive=trait

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)