Section 2 - Creative Writing (1 Viewer)

matt16

HSC
I found the stimuli terrible. I understand that they want to create things which are quite specific to weed out people who memorise unadaptable pre-prepared responses, but could they at least be somewhat accessible?!

happinessisbest

HSC
I wrote a story based on a migrant and her experiences on Christmas day in the various nations of Poland and Australia, and how her experiences there differed. My family background is Polish and Australian, so I knew a lot about both cultures and the traditions associated with both. Pretty much, in the end, the persona felt disconnected in Australia and longed to have the traditions she did in Poland, and she ended up simply conforming to the "Aussie" way of life and sacrificing her own happiness, blah blah blah. I don't know if that's too cliched though ... I'm expecting maybe 11/15 for that one. I used the first quote as my stimulus; the one about the sun or something... I don't even remember anymore, hahaha.

HSC
Ugh the thing that pisses me off every time with the creative is that teachers stress that our stories must be 'innovative' and 'avoid typical cliches and themes', yet every single fucking time the stimulus we get is so bland and generic it kills off your creativity.

HSC
I used the picture, but as none fit my practise ones, I made it up on the spot. Wrote about ghosts, but not as we know them. Good old twist on a cliche!

fionarykim

HSC
LOL i thought u HAD to use the quotes
i never knew that you didnt have to directly quote it HAHA damm

it was still good though, i quoted it once in the beginning, and half of the quote but changed it in the second half to show the progress of belonging
hopefully did oky, i finished it in 30 mins, but it was only about 800 words, slightly short
ohwells, hope i got about 13-14 like trials ><

Storm Red

HSC
I was confused about how they wanted it as a central element, like did they want us to keep mentioning it?

I used the first quote, and I used the whole quote to begin my story...and that was about it. Cuz mine was about a lady leaving her house she lived in for 60 years so it fitted well if I used the quote to start with...liked the descriptive language about her describing the room being cool and shaded. But was that sort of enough as a central element? Any thoughts?:hammer:

Last edited:

jess_1495

HSC
Used the second stimulus, the picture. Didn't fit my story perfectly but was easy enough to adapt the ending of the story to incorporate "rejecting relationships". My story was about a house personified, so I was telling the story from the perspective of a home. My teacher said it was lame, although I thought it was creative. I'd love anyones thoughts, reply to this and I will private message it to you

mcapuano

HSC
Thanks! Ugh, I feel so silly now though, I forgot to change it to first person! ahh such a stupid mistake :( Hopefully my marks wont suffer too much... Does anyone know how much it matters if creative writing isn't very central to the stimulus? I went in with a prepared piece, and I'm not sure that the stimulus worked all that well, but then again, it's all about being "creative" right? I'm just hoping that's how it will come across to the markers...
ya i did my prepared creative too, didnt incorporate stimulus very well, just started it off with the quote about 'the silent scene outside might as well have been from another world' then wrote my short story about a woman in a police station being interviewed, the whole story pretty much told as her thoughts while she looks off reflectively, and she's in the room while she's looking off reflectively, and the quote is about the room, so in my anxious rush to write the whole thhing down i figured that was central enough lol prolly look at 10/15 for that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)