Section 2 (1 Viewer)

HSC
xx__savannah said:
I just read somewhere though in the Eng forum that the advice line said you can't do a poem? Doesn't that kinda contradict the "in any form appropriate to your purpose" line they gave us?

I think the advice can be interpreted as shouldn't. (with a million underlines and explanation points)
If you did poetry, it would have to be epic poetry because you'd need to write about the same you would for short story/feature article etc...and it would have to be brilliant poetry, thought up on the spur of the moment, relating to the stimulus texts. Since no-one can do this, people who do poetry in the creative section might as well just write "Please give me 2/15 for this section" on their paper. It's like people who use text speak in their essays, it's just a little warning to the examiners that their essay will be crap.

Anyway I liked the question for section II and, did I get this wrong, but I didn't put the quote at the beginning...I kind of focused in on "ruined voice" and put the quote in after all the opening stuff. Do you think that matters? Because I used the information contained in the quote as a stimulus...but since I did not write about an old man (a 41yr old and a 16year old in fact) and nobody died in the end maybe I'll get extra marks anyway ;)

Tubmiester

HSC
I just made the opening quote lyrics to a song that was playing on the radio in the start of my story and then wrote the rest of my story as norma'

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
Since some people have taken offence to my post (I suppose that's understandable... maybe not rational, but understandable), I shall reply to my own post:

1. I'm sorry, but this is true. Perhaps I could've written it nicely... but it's still true.

2. English Extension 2 people are smart. Congratulations. You will flog all 2 unit English exams you do. I wish I was as good as you at English.

3. It is. You can twist it and make it interesting, but most people will be too stressed to do so.

4. See 3.

5. Still valid.

6. See 5.

7. See 5.

8. See 5. Actually, we may still have been beaten by the English Extension 2 kids that make it up on the spot. But they are ext 2 kids - they're meant to be good at that.

9. See 5.

10. Definitely see 5.

11. Point proven.

Also: to all those people who thought of ingenious ways to quote the extract, then somehow get rid of the extract (whether it be killing the old guy off, or Tubmiester’s idea of the song lyrics [pretty cool, btw]) but I just don’t think that’s specifically what the question was asking for. It depends on how much you integrated those song lyrics/dead guy/whatever into the rest of your piece. Then again, I could be wrong. I’m not a marker.
But I doubt it.

NB: also note, all the people who are rejoicing either: are a creative genius and whipped something magical up; are English Ext. 2 kids; the extract suited their prepared response; their only plan was to make something up. Then again, all those complaining had prepared responses that didn't suit the extract. BUT, there are more people complaining than those that are rejoicing. THUS: the BOS decided to screw over the majority of the state.
That is all.

Last edited:

xx__savannah

HSC
bananasmoothy said:
Also: to all those people who thought of ingenious ways to quote the extract, then somehow get rid of the extract (whether it be killing the old guy off, or Tubmiester’s idea of the song lyrics [pretty cool, btw]) but I just don’t think that’s specifically what the question was asking for. It depends on how much you integrated those song lyrics/dead guy/whatever into the rest of your piece. Then again, I could be wrong. I’m not a marker.
But I doubt it.

Hm... I wish that my teacher could have mentioned that any stimuli are to be integral to the story, all we were told to do is incorporate it somehow. I think the most I've actually included stimulus into a story was in the trial, where the person directly said it, then laughed at the irony in the statement, and was never told that was wrong.

Let's just hope you're wrong, and when it meant 'opening' it meant that, and people like you just kill that whole section haha.

daiseydai

HSC
ElendilPeredhil said:
I think the advice can be interpreted as shouldn't. (with a million underlines and explanation points)
If you did poetry, it would have to be epic poetry because you'd need to write about the same you would for short story/feature article etc...and it would have to be brilliant poetry, thought up on the spur of the moment, relating to the stimulus texts. Since no-one can do this, people who do poetry in the creative section might as well just write "Please give me 2/15 for this section" on their paper. It's like people who use text speak in their essays, it's just a little warning to the examiners that their essay will be crap.

Anyway I liked the question for section II and, did I get this wrong, but I didn't put the quote at the beginning...I kind of focused in on "ruined voice" and put the quote in after all the opening stuff. Do you think that matters? Because I used the information contained in the quote as a stimulus...but since I did not write about an old man (a 41yr old and a 16year old in fact) and nobody died in the end maybe I'll get extra marks anyway ;)

the only reason poetry isn't advised by teachers is because it's difficult to pull off, as poetry is the finer form of literature and they don't believe students of our calibre and level can create something profound whilst maintaining poetic integrity. this is not to say however, that poetry should not be done. poem's do not have to rhyme, and contrived it will seem if they did, so poetic prose or free-verse poetry could very much suit the creative section. you will notice also that the quote for this year's stimulus was itself very poetic-like. i'm beginning to think they intended for a select amount of students who could see the poetic potential in the quote to create a poem, which is also suggestive in their reference of 'styles'.. 'to suit your purpose'. therefore i conclude, those who did do poetry would have delighted and brought relief to the markers as it would have garbed their intentions. however, obviously there has to be a certain level reached in the attempt, not some contrived, pretenscious childish drivel. but this is required in any form of writing. i did a poem and adapted to the stimulus quite well, in saying so, it wasn't short at all and probably contained more techniques than a standard narrative. though i have to say, the stimulus was unexpected.

4DOGS

HSC
I used the quote at the start and then added on saying that he was my grandfather and he has wittled away due to old age. he told me his epic journey and now i will retell it.

I dunno how it will go but i thought it was original.

scragmeister

HSC
Ok. The entire exam was very obscure, much harder than my trial. After the horrors of section one, i stared down at this question with an utter sense of bewilderment. I'd prepared a totally kickass 15/15 respone (thats what it got in the trial anyway). And here was this totally restricting quote - ok it did tie in with the theme of my story, but what a total pain in the arse.

my story involved the main character travelling home on an aeroplane and emailing his best friend. Now this is meant to be an old man retelling a story from his youth (the main character in my story is someone my age), and how could an old man have possibly had access to the net as a kid?

So, i thought, i'd better set it in the future so it made sense. This took some planning.

I ended up having the poor kid sit down and listen to this poor old fool blab out my preprepared response. Which was still 15/15 material but the framework just didnt work at all.

12345ihatethis

HSC
i found it hard to do the next line after the openin tryin to find somethin that just flowed right ... it sucks how many ppl did the whole death bed thing hey my story just seems to be like the general i kinda had it that the grandaughter discovered her grandfather by her joruneyin bak over with him but it was prety lame hope i get a marker who is in a good mood and mines like on the top of the pile ...

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Sorry if this has been said in here already, but did anyone find the stimulus totally weak and cliched? The Board of Studies are idiots because they're gonna end up with hundreds of stories about some old man's last profound words on his death bed to his granddaughter/son. Snore.

Last edited:

wtgspod

HSC
Whoever marks mine is going to get the shock of their (HSC marking) lives...
Amidst the tales of old people giving their final sentiments, there sits my story which is about bears, Antarctica, a girl, a proverbial heaven, a war... Yeah I went a little crazy. The exam was boring enough, lol.

kimsquared

HSC
there should be a poll on this section 2

a) who made the old man their grandfather
b) who made him eventually die
c) who had an already made up story and had to fit it to the line
d) whose story fitted perfectly (i envy you)
e) who threw away the quote and wrote on somthing completely different

i'd have to pick c)

but it worked out in the end i suppose

i feel we will now become the poster children of what not to do in section 2 paper 1

don't be cliched, don't prepare responses, don't read the question too literally, don't not read the question, don't be unprepared.. so i figure there's nothing left for us to do

p.s. i feel sorry for the markers, they will be bored i'm sure
p.p.s. i do ext 2 and i still found it restricting and limiting and not everyone who does ext 2 does creative writing

sandz_2

HSC
kimsquared said:

i'd have to pick c)
I think the whole grandfather theme was popular this year in my year, I used it and when i asked my friends what they had done, another 3 had used it :eek:.
Those HSC markers are going to be reading endless boring grandfather stories... I also predicted correctly it would some sort of text as every year it seems to altenate between visuals and text.

dodgyfilokid

HSC
this was the easiest part...i could have easily written 10pages but dat would mean i would run out of time coz i had to recall every single detail..i used my own persona when im 50yrs sayin that "this is what my son will say to his children on the moment i pass away..here is the story of my own inner journey towards self-discovery"

j_a_m_e_s

Big Member
HSC
kimsquared said:

i'd have to pick c)

but it worked out in the end i suppose

i feel we will now become the poster children of what not to do in section 2 paper 1

don't be cliched, don't prepare responses, don't read the question too literally, don't not read the question, don't be unprepared.. so i figure there's nothing left for us to do

p.s. i feel sorry for the markers, they will be bored i'm sure
p.p.s. i do ext 2 and i still found it restricting and limiting and not everyone who does ext 2 does creative writing
Or f) used the quote with their story and still managed to cock it up.

meteorangela

HSC
it kind of worked with my planned story, i just restructured it and added more ideas in.i just hope i expressed myself well in the beginning :S

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
xx__savannah said:
Hm... I wish that my teacher could have mentioned that any stimuli are to be integral to the story, all we were told to do is incorporate it somehow. I think the most I've actually included stimulus into a story was in the trial, where the person directly said it, then laughed at the irony in the statement, and was never told that was wrong.

Let's just hope you're wrong, and when it meant 'opening' it meant that, and people like you just kill that whole section haha.
Well, yes, your reference to the stimulus piece can be obscure, to say the least. But to take that opening sentence, then say "and then the old guy died before he got to tell his last story. Bored at the lame drama on TV, I turned the TV off and was magically transported in southern Africa, where <insert prepared essay here>"

However, like I said, Tubmiester’s song lyrics idea sounded pretty good - it just depended how he went from there.

jasonmatthew

HSC
Hey but it didnt have to be the central theme of the story or whatever text type you wrote. The central theme was a journey of discovery and thats what you get marked on. As long as you put that quote as your first sentence and integreated it properly in the intro, then thats no problems. It's the journey of discovery that matters

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
daiseydai said:
the only reason poetry isn't advised by teachers is because it's difficult to pull off, as poetry is the finer form of literature and they don't believe students of our calibre and level can create something profound whilst maintaining poetic integrity. this is not to say however, that poetry should not be done. poem's do not have to rhyme, and contrived it will seem if they did, so poetic prose or free-verse poetry could very much suit the creative section. you will notice also that the quote for this year's stimulus was itself very poetic-like. i'm beginning to think they intended for a select amount of students who could see the poetic potential in the quote to create a poem, which is also suggestive in their reference of 'styles'.. 'to suit your purpose'. therefore i conclude, those who did do poetry would have delighted and brought relief to the markers as it would have garbed their intentions. however, obviously there has to be a certain level reached in the attempt, not some contrived, pretenscious childish drivel. but this is required in any form of writing. i did a poem and adapted to the stimulus quite well, in saying so, it wasn't short at all and probably contained more techniques than a standard narrative. though i have to say, the stimulus was unexpected.
yeah you are exactly right. the quote was perfect for poetry... I left the exam centre in a fury becuase as I left I thought of the perfect idea.

Poetry is a harder form, so if you are not experienced and, more importantly, in the right frame of mine to come up with something that is sophisticated yet has integrity and can link to the stimulus, then obviously its a stupid idea.

But the reason it is mostly considered a "don't do it or you'll get 2/15" is because a poem is not simply marked by a person who is bored of grandfather stories. There WILL, and its guaranteed, be marking centre discussion. So, you run the danger that like any poetry (even from the greatest of poets) that your true ideas aren't coherent enough to the markers because the form allows for such ambiguity.

But still you sound confident in knowing what you're doing with it so congratulations, if not for anything else you can be happy that you will receive a great mark because your story wasn't about a grandfather!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I had to drastically change my prepared story to fit with the quote, took a bit of effort but think I ended up writing a slightly cliched story. It was tough for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)