Section 2 (1 Viewer)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Re: Fish?

well if you did it lana and i did it must mean we are winnars.

the end. i'm sorry the rest of you fail at life :(;)

p342i

HSC
Appeasement

I do hope someone took up my tip for Delta Blues.

[btw - what do you think of the question in the context of appeasement?]

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC

I did Crusades, and referred to about six or seven historians, some in more detail than others. Since the questions asked us to 'analyse' the source I made reference to it in most points I made, and managed to keep the fish puns to a minimum. I am, however, ashamed/SO PROUD of one thing I did say; when I was talking about anachronistic treatment of the facts relating to the Crusades, I said that not only had Anderson selected his fish, he had 'prepared' them in a certain way by imposing modern values upon them :(

Overall, I think I did well on this exam.

Last edited:

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC

My main weakness for that response is that whilst I talked about E.H. Carr quite well and intergrated his source right throughout my analysis of my case study, my analysis of my case study was fairly weak and I couldn't remember enough quotes from my historians.
Ummm, we weren't supposed to actually talk about Carr right? I mean, we were supposed to analyse what the jist of his statement was, rather than blab about relativism right?

I did JFK, and this question really lent itself to the topic, because I could talk about how historians like Hersch pick and choose their evidence, and how they use information unavailable to their predecesors. My arguement was a weak trot-through IMO, since there was only major linking to the question in the second paragraph and the conclusion.

stephabi

HSC

When I read the question I was SO tempted to return in kind an extended metaphor of my own in relation to JFK. The smartass in me was going "do it... do it... do it"
I evetually settled by trying to fit as many puns in as I humanly could.
"one finds it hard to CAST their attention away from..."
"revisionists were looking for the big, juicy and often ellusive propaganda fish in the pool of facts"
"these may be large obstacles for historians to TACKLE"
"propaganda filled American society to the Bream (pronounced 'brim' it's a type of fish)

There were a few others I've forgotten but, hey, you ask a stupid question...

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC

stephabi said:
When I read the question I was SO tempted to return in kind an extended metaphor of my own in relation to JFK. The smartass in me was going "do it... do it... do it"
I evetually settled by trying to fit as many puns in as I humanly could.
"one finds it hard to CAST their attention away from..."
"revisionists were looking for the big, juicy and often ellusive propaganda fish in the pool of facts"
"these may be large obstacles for historians to TACKLE"
"propaganda filled American society to the Bream (pronounced 'brim' it's a type of fish)

There were a few others I've forgotten but, hey, you ask a stupid question...
NON-SERIOUS ATTEMPT F MINUS MINUS :p

Dasphoebus: If you didn't talk about Carr himself, that's OK, as long as you analysed the quote. In fact I think giving a exposition of Carr of any length would have been a waste of time. Analysing the source without giving an account of the author would have been fine.

~catie

HSC

haha yes...
I got my innuendo in there so i was happy. my case study was JFK and the Kennedy family had allowed Dallek to look at his health records because "they liked his tackle". mwahaha. yeh mine rambled alot and was lacking a good structure, but i found the first question easier to manage.

mikeyklim

HSC

aye -for q1 i was just wondering if it was expected to acknowledge that she was a post modernist - coz i sed her perception contrasted with that of post modernists...
what did she say that implied she was :|?
bit of a rough source i rekn ..

Last edited:

soola

HSC
Re: Appeasement

p342i said:
I do hope someone took up my tip for Delta Blues.

[btw - what do you think of the question in the context of appeasement?]
i thought the question was fairly general...it was ok for appeasement i suppose...but i don't know how they're going to discriminate between the essays
i don't think my essay makes much sense! oh well

just out of curiousity...which school do u go to?
you seem to be doing all the same options my school is, even in ancient history (i've seen u in other threads...and i can tell you...u're big competition...hope the rest of ur school isn't like you!)

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC

mikeyklim said:
aye -for q1 i was just wondering if it was expected to acknowledge that she was a post modernist - coz i sed her perception contrasted with that of post modernists...
what did she say that implied she was :|?
bit of a rough source i rekn ..
We're currently discussing that in the other thread. Tis a pickle, but I'd say the source sucked, however BOS would not have picked the "history is a science" bit if they didn't want us to say she was empiricist.

thenothing

no member
HSC

She sort of said it was 'almost a science' and a way to find multiple, 'useable truths' - the 's' makes her post modernist.

Look at Elton, Ranke and Windshuttle. All empiricists, all believe that through the correct methodologies one, absolute truth can be found.

Basically:

Empiricism = one truth.
Relativism = many truths.
Post Modernism = so many truths, it's impossible to get to one, hence, many 'useable truths'.

DucKy::

XDXDXD
HSC
Re: case study - wtf!?

i ignored most of the quote, cept for the last two lines

yeh, i did context affecting subjective interpretations

jackal8

HSC

the quote wasn't really regarding context was it, more the personal impositon on ones historical interpretation leading to discourse?

and clendinned made a big point about the rising popularity of public history, i think if any, this was the main point abuot contextual influence.

did any of you challenge trhe source directly, sure i highlighted differences and similarities with historians but also showed how Clendinned him/herself littered his perspective with the corruption of rhetoric (i didnt say corruption of rhetoric, something mroe suave)

Edit: E. H. Carr :)

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC

No, that doesn't work. She was discussing history as a whole, as a huge record of human achievement. That's what the 'useable truths' thing was referring to, so the plural just refers to the many records that we can extract truths from. Empiricist, in my view.

~*Bubbles*~

HSC

Ashley P said:
the facts are really not at all like the fish on the fishmonger's slab!

they are like fish swimming about in a vast and sometimes inaccessible ocean... ♥

words of wisdom from the BOS... sage.

how the hell could you use that to discuss?!:burn: tacitus fished in the ocean of corruption, to catch his fish tiberius

that was the most creative exam i've ever done! :D

it's over! :ninja:
I hear you, thats gotta be the most interesting response on tacitus ive ever written (i did the same case study) lol o well, i recon i did ok hope so :)

billy_slater

HSC

yeah i couldnt be screwed writing about the fishes eh.
"history means interpretation" my whole essay was based on that one line.

pine-fresh

HSC

I liked the fish. It seemed like an easier question than previous years and fit well with my case study - context, purpose, selectivity/omission of facts, etc.
Did anyone else do the Historicity of Jesus Christ? I talked about the Radical debate and used about 7 historians.
How long were your answers?? i only got 12 pages for that one...

goliwog

HSC

Ok, the question was straight forward, and so was the quote, but after talking to people, how many of you did heaps of linking throughout the essay to "fish". I just summarised the metaphor and spoke and historical speak, but everyone I talked to was bragging about how many fish they mentioned.
Hehehe i used the quote not only in the second essay but in the first one .. heheh i was doing carr anyway ... it kinda worked.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A

DucKy:: said:
i ignored most of the quote, cept for the last two lines

yeh, i did context affecting subjective interpretations
please .. study chem!

ok and hope you still ripped up history extension lolz. haha relativist/pomo (sort of) carr was the best <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)