Section I: Short Answers (1 Viewer)

adnan91

HSC
tacogym27101990 said:
yeah you would expect so
might lose a mark off your graph though if it isn't accurate??
No the graph was correct. but i read 1.7 not 1.6 thats not a mistake. i knew how to calculate the mass of zinc in it. I doubt theyll take a mark off. They would take a mark of if i read like 1.1

Muchi

HSC
na its just that dans person says that the platinium is the cathode so isnt it reduced?

fishbulb

HSC
adnan91 said:
No the graph was correct. but i read 1.7 not 1.6 thats not a mistake. i knew how to calculate the mass of zinc in it. I doubt theyll take a mark off. They would take a mark of if i read like 1.1
I got 1.7mg/L too, im pretty sure it is right. I drew the graph perfectly.

glockenspiel

HSC
The galvanic cell question had Nickel as the anode, Platinum as the cathode. Nickel oxidised, chlorine gas reduced. I forget the voltage, but its easy to work out if you take those two. Also, the green one got greener (Ni2+ increased as Ni oxidised and NO3- moved from the salt bridge so there wasn't a build up of charge) and nothing happened to the other one.

And I don't know with the AAS question, chemistry markers are incredibly picky so there's a good chance they might decide to be harsh and punish you. Of course if the answer by the board is within a range you'll probably be ok.

I thought in general the questions weren't really too bad. It could have been a lot worse. I thought the galvanic cell probably wasn't worth enough marks for its level of difficulty and the catchment question was a bit cruel, but it was ok other than that.

davidlee90

HSC
How about the critical evaluation of the statement based on ethanol as a fuel? what did u guys write about?

Muchi

HSC
umm i think i liked the ethanol question. i wrote about electrical consumption used in processes used to manfacture ethanol and also the fact theres the use of a renewable source. i didnt mention the photosynthesis reaction to prove that co2 produced is used by plants but im not sure if im going to lose marks on that. also i didnt mention anything about it being a petrol extender etc, i didnt think it was relevant but who knows.

Muchi

HSC
ooo just realised, might have flunked that question. someone wrote about combustion & photosynthesis to reflect the cyclic nature. damn, i didnt think of that.

Muchi

HSC
hey did they mention that carbon dioxide is neutral and that plants use up the co2 in photosythesis? if they did that could be a saver for me coz the markers hate it when students repeat whats present in the paragraph and test what you know(my teachers a hsc marker)

Muchi

HSC
and to top off this some other kid mentioned that adding ethanol to petrol increases co2 released!!! Man i wish i had minds like these people

iEdd

HSC
I wrote three balanced equations. One to show that CO2 and H2O convert to glucose. Then a glucose to ethanol, releasing some CO2, then finally the ethanol to H2O and CO2. I explained in between equations and then at the end wrote that as the original reactants are CO2 and H2O, as are the final products that ethanol is carbon neutal.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it is added to petrol. However, it does say ethanol, and when ethanol alone burns, it IS a carbon neutral fuel. Hmmm

Zephyrio

HSC
I said that essentially, ethanol isn't carbon neutral becuase you have to burn vast amounts of fossil fuels to even produce it in the first place.

Zephyrio

HSC
In regards to the half-cell with the chlorine, wouldn't it have a somewhat greenish tinge? I thought chlorine had that kind of colour, especially with the gas being a green colour. So if you're pumping a greeny gas into the half cell, wouldn't it assume this colour (since the electrolyte and Cl-(aq) would be colourless).

I also said that the other half-cell would take on a silvery colour because the nitrates would migrate to the other side, leaving your Ni2+ ions in solution? LOL.

Anyway, I've calculated that I've lost around 10 marks altogether. I hope I get that 92 (after alignment of course)!!!

Last edited:

iEdd

HSC
That's assuming you use fossil fuels to produce ethanol. I guess most production plants are though - should've mentioned that.

No. Chlorine is reduced. That means chlorine becomes chlorine ions. It's the opposite of making Cl gas.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
For the potential voltage did you guys use chlorine gas or aqeuous?

danz90

HSC
tommykins said:
For the potential voltage did you guys use chlorine gas or aqeuous?
Gas, because the Chlorine gas is being reduced, not the Chloride ions in the solution.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
danz90 said:
Gas, because the Chlorine gas is being reduced, not the Chloride ions in the solution.
*raises fist in the air*

hell ye :D

danz90

HSC
btw, what did everyone get for the [HCl] in the titration one?
I think I screwed that one up with stupid error :(

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i don't remember, i got a really nice roundable number though :0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)