Section II - Core: Crime and Human Rights (1 Viewer)

funkygirl59

HSC
gosh people

u talk about whatever u want in the topic

was drop dead easy

u can talk about young offenders, criminal trial process, sentencing

whatever u wanted that demonstrated the tension

it wasnt specific
just wide open to any topic

so it was easy if u didnt study everything
THANK YOU SO MUCH
i don't get how people think that crime question was hard!? i nearly screamed with happiness when i saw it

it's all about individual rights and freedoms vs. needing to protect society i.e.

ARREST AND INTERROGATION takes away right to private as do searches, but they're about police using powers to prtect community

DOLI INCAPAX upholds the rights o fthe child but r v lmw shows how sometimes it means they get away with murder

REMAND is about keeping criminals locked up to protect society

IMPRISONMENT ETC ETC ETC ETC
as if you didn't think iit was a god send of a question.

smik11

HSC
Yea basically its just 'effectiveness' worded differently - its SO broad.
I talked about mandatory sentencing - remand - preventative detention - continued detention - doli incapax - police having too much power - plea bargaining - victim statements - terrorism laws..
How did u have time to write all of that? i only wrote 5 pages.. and only wrote on mandatory sentencing, purposes of punishment and types of penalties, and plea bargaining.. :/

jimmy93

HSC
It doesn't matter about how much you wrote or what you wrote about. As long as you presented a logical argument and used your knowledge to back up your argument then you will receive credit for your efforts. I am sure the BOS will take the initial shock of the question into consideration when deciding aligning the marks.

xjxmxhx

HSC
That crime question was worded so weirdly, I has to read over it several times before i understood what they were saying. One girl in my class actually exclaimed 'what the hell is this' and started laughing hysterically when we were going through the exam.

I wrote that the legal system is very complex, and thus, there must be a balance between community interests and the rights of the individual.
Talked about:
- Police powers
- Preventative and continued detention (how it was found unconstitutional)
- Child offenders
- Purposes of punishments (rehab and the drug court, etc)
- Bail and Remand
- Possibly something else, I can't remember it though

acemusic415

HSC
That crime question was worded so weirdly, I has to read over it several times before i understood what they were saying. One girl in my class actually exclaimed 'what the hell is this' and started laughing hysterically when we were going through the exam.

I wrote that the legal system is very complex, and thus, there must be a balance between community interests and the rights of the individual.
Talked about:
- Police powers
- Preventative and continued detention (how it was found unconstitutional)
- Child offenders
- Purposes of punishments (rehab and the drug court, etc)
- Bail and Remand
- Possibly something else, I can't remember it though
Preventative and continued detention would of been good to talk about as well as deportation or sex offenders registry.

xjxmxhx

HSC
Preventative and continued detention would of been good to talk about as well as deportation or sex offenders registry.
Oh no! I forgot about deportation! I had a good case for that too, what a shame :(

Phoenix 12

HSC
Uni Grad
Terrorism was could have been discussed too, especially the denial of individual rights for terrorists under the bail terrorism amendment act, which favours the interests of the community...

Exotic

HSC
Ahahahha, i actually never saw that, i never read those pages in textbooks. Seems that bos is actually right, its just all of us that were unprepared. Im just lucky, i actually got some of the points suggested in my answer, might get a decent mark for that one.

HKK

HSC
Loved the crime question, 'twas so broad :D HR I chose the human right to education and how it's being legally recognized through UNESCO's programs and part of ICESCR, dunno if that was right.. I focused on remand, sexual
Offenders Registration, Deportation and Charge Negotiations for Crime, wrote like 7 pages :)

crazybea

HSC
N/A
i did the childs right to safety (and freedom) - Convention on the Rights of the Child, the Childs (sex tourism) amendment act, xyz v. commonwealth etc
again rehashed for the next part on slavery and human trafficking

Crime Short answer: Mainly young offenders (ie. doli incapax, age of criminal responsibility, bail, diversionary programs, purposes of punishment, etc)

kroiston

HSC
I hope someone hasn't pointed this out already because for some reason I can't see the third page of this thread. For the people who struggled with finding the Crime 15 Marker in the syllabus, can I just point out the "Principal Focus" of the Crime topic? I too struggled with the question and thought it was the shittest thing in existence, but fuck, it was the first thing in the syllabus. HOW DID WE NOT SEE THIS? It was the PRINCIPAL FOCUS. Garghhh so angry.

wogboy23

HSC
The 15 marker for crime was by far the one that threw everyone off, including myself.
"Explain the tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms within the criminal justice system."
My argument was a little weak but I talked about;
-police powers and their investigation process - also how inadmissible evidence of DNA could hinder ones freedoms (I used a statistic) and also how police may abuse their discretionary powers - eg. keep the accused in interrogation for more than 4 hrs without the court-approved extension of 8 hrs
-also the criminal trial process - the perceived success of the adversary system where both parties present their oral arguments - but still the fact that the individual is deprived of inequity of distribution of skills, resources and knowledges - I underpinned my contemporary case R v. Campbell where Judge Latham on a rare occurence let in media in tarnishing the idea of "open justice" - his previous convictions were brought up and sexual infidelities in characterising him as a "philanderer" - I also mentioned use of witnesses in aiding the case and overwhelming evidence used against him which to some extent questions the legal maxim of him "innocent before proven guilty"
-then I talked about these tensions evident by such post-sentencing considerations eg. preventative detention and continued detention where sex offenders under the "Serious Sex Offenders Act 2006 (NSW) could be held in custody after their sentence has been served - as well as 2 yrs monitoring of sex offenders under the Sex Offenders Registration Act
-then I concluded with young offenders - how whilst the community does push for rehabilitation/welfare model it is not used widely enough (Shopfront Youth Legal Centre) - and still heavy reliance on custodial sentences - ineffectiveness shown further by the Bail Act and also these tensions trying to be alleviated with Greg Smith's proposed reforms

xjxmxhx

HSC
How you write about so much, i did about 6 pages (5.5) on 3 topics. preventative detention, charge negotiation, doli incapax
I wrote about six pages also, some paragraphs were shorter than others, police powers was only a short paragraph, while others took up a page. I just tried to cram everything I knew into the response, I had more planned but there wasn't enough time :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)