Section II - Societies (3 Viewers)

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
emo-kid-91 said:
role and status of women in spartan society

not spartan women. see the difference?

did i say 2008?
No; but you must surely be basing your HSC marker's explanation on that question's BOS criteria - (which, seeing the question was only asked in 2008... there was a similar one in 2006 but you said 'always' so I assumed you were getting your information from guidelines which were relevant to that particular question...)

were you not? OK then.

emo-kid-91 said:
i'm not. spartiate women did no household tasks (ie cleaning, cooking, sewing) like other greek women - instead delegating that to perioikoi women - and helot women worked the fields with the men; these are significant facts about women in spartan society that needed to be mentioned. the classes - ie statuses - and their duties - meaning their roles - needed to be mentioned.
I'm not saying that's not true, though I did not see this point of view. You can defs argue it.
But to say you can't get full marks for not approaching it that way is a tad absolute, don't you think?

It's like a marker saying 'hmm, someone wrote 10 pages with sources from Plutarch, Xenophon, Plato, Thucydides, Euripdes and Aristophanes... talking about periokic and helot women, and their economic, eugenic and free status and roles. But they forgot to mention their religious roles... so, yeah, they're only getting 6 marks.'

anyway, its over now - lol, I'm just being a jerk now, soz. But I dont think what I'm saying is too far left field I hope!

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
Patar said:
It's like a marker saying 'hmm, someone wrote 10 pages with sources from Plutarch, Xenophon, Plato, Thucydides, Euripdes and Aristophanes... talking about periokic and helot women, and their economic, eugenic and free status and roles. But they forgot to mention their religious roles... so, yeah, they're only getting 6 marks.'
coming from the class point of view - which is what i was arguing - it's like cutting out two thirds of the female society in sparta if you don't bother to mention that they even existed. even just a throwaway 'yep, there were perioikoi and helot women too, and they did... i dunno, stuff' would show your awareness.

but i agree. it's over. it's loooooooooong over.

HSC
emo-kid-91 said:
coming from the class point of view - which is what i was arguing - it's like cutting out two thirds of the female society in sparta if you don't bother to mention that they even existed. even just a throwaway 'yep, there were perioikoi and helot women too, and they did... i dunno, stuff' would show your awareness.

but i agree. it's over. it's loooooooooong over.
yeah, that's kind of what i thought when i wrote about them. if you look at the marking criteria for the 2006 question, it basically says better responses tackled the idea in a wider sense, covering helot and perioikoi women as well as spartiate wives. however, to get full marks the most important thing was using a range of sources, so as long as you did that you're fine.

Jess =)

Pirate Queen of Awsomness
HSC
SpoonSamba said:
Athens

um ok some ppl get like the role of women and we got describe the impact of the empire on the economy...

like its just obscure really, couldnt it just have been describe the economy

anyway i think i managed to bullcrap my way through that pretty well neway

and i couldnt remember the details of the thesmophoria festival but i like glossed over it so it was ok

but overall this was a lot better than my trials
WHAT???!!!!! women is SO much easier than the econmomy!!! its pretty much "women could't do shit. they stayed in the house and were wives and mothers" how did some poeple get women? i dont understand

i couldnt remember how to spell Panathanaia, still dont, so everytime i wrote it i scribbled the end. i had to write it like 20 times so it got a bit sus lol.

i mixed up pompeii and greece and got the 1st question wrong!!! i wrote the building of Eumachia as one of the buildings! i'm such an idiot!! i actually wrote down tholos, then crossed it out coz i thought it might be pompeiian =(

how much did everyone write for the piraeus question? i wrote like a page coz i wasnt sure exactly which aspects they were looking for and i knew it pretty well

yeh, so i'm pretty sure i fucked the whole exam but ive got a good class rank so hopefully somehow i'll get pulled up. altho im not sure it works like that

Artemis13

HSC
I agree, that two natural resources of crete question was so easy.

It's funny that so many people are saying that they had a fresco question for the minoans in their trial or as an assessment - I had that question in my trial. Hope I did better than I did then in the real exam, though.

And I have to say - hat sources tell us about religion? So typical. I swear every paper has that question. Or at least every second one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)