Section III: Business Report (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Share your thoughts here.

90atarpls

HSC
i actually wrote about the right stuf... holy crap..
was alright, managed 8 pages

someslovak

HSC
Uni Grad
For global factors I wrote about Research and Development, economies of scale, scanning and learning, global sourcing. Syllabus dotpoints guizz

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Report Structure

1.0 Executive Summary
2.0 Sources of finance (stated them in broad terms)
2.1 Debt finance (diagram showing all types, elaborated in detail, table of advantages and disadvantages)
2.2 Equity finance (diagram showing all types, elaborated in detail, table of advantages and disadvantages)
2.3 Recommendation (went with mortgage seeming that it can be payed back over a long period of time, is suitable to the purpose of a loan, has a typically low interest rate, business has persistent growth and strong financial history hence the sourcing of debt finance is the most recommended option, being long term due to the amount of $5 million being large)
3.0 Outsourcing and Factory Expansion (Broad outline, stated that both have varying effects on the business and consumer interest, highlighted the 2 aspects i was going to discuss in depth - being CSR and Cost Leadership)
3.1 Corporate Social Responsibility (Outsourcing is bad for businesses CSR whilst Factory expansion may be beneficial due to improving the quality of life in regards to internal and external stakeholders)
3.2 Cost Leadership (Discussed the costs and benefits of outsourcing in hand with increased risk to the business, yet a higher potential reward. Discussed that outsourcing is large influenced by advancements in innovative business systems in hand with globalization, stated that Outsourcing was a viable option to achieve profit maximization despite being less compliant with corporate social responsibility. Elaborated briefly on why factory expansion will be costly to the business, including inefficiency due to increased resistance to change from employees and potential downtimes as a result of factory expansion, also including the $5 million capital outlay)
3.3 Recommendation (I figured that the term "discuss" is quite broad, i don't know what any of those words actually ask me to do, i simply figure out what i should write by line allocation. So i decided to come to a concise summary of all of my points and recommend Outsourcing as the recommended option that the business may take, allowed me to compare them quite effectively)
4.0 Global Factors (Explained that there where an array of global factors that a business must take into account to maximize efficiency, saw operations so i jumped to scanning and learning, research and development, global sourcing and economies of scale. Stated all of them, write a brief sentence on each of them. Stated the 2 i was going to elaborate on)
4.1 Global Sourcing (Explained that Global Sourcing is a pivotal consideration in global operations management, allowing the business to minimize costs and stuff like that. Discussed the global web strategy, stated advantages and disadvantages in context)
4.2 Economies Of Scale (Pretty much the same thing as global sourcing, i tried to link them both together and speak about interdependence between functions at the rest... pretty much a paragraph of round about stuff)
5.0 Conclusion

If i'm worried about anything its handwriting legibility. All up 3 booklets with around 7 words per line

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I liked the 2013 business report question better :haha:

Nevertheless, this question is not too bad. Operations and Finance.

I think most students would hate it if HR popped up.

I assume Section IV was Marketing or HR as the 2 options?

jer3m

HSC
N/A
what are the global factors? things like cultural/language barriers, increased logistics complexity & cost, ethical considerations of exploitation?
Yeh thats the stuff. I wrote about cultural/language barriers, exploiting workers, transporting costs, legal systems may be different and then wrote about currency fluctuations to pay workers in the outsourced country and also economic outlook if its boom/downswing since this is all global factors. Feel good since half the other people only wrote about different legal systems and about how there may be problems in language and dealing with eachother. If you talked about those things you mentioned you'd probably get near full marks in that part of the report.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I liked the 2013 business report question better :haha:

Nevertheless, this question is not too bad. Operations and Finance.

I think most students would hate it if HR popped up.

I assume Section IV was Marketing or HR as the 2 options?
2013 Report question was amazing. Also yeah

Marketing question was more than i could of ever hoped for. All about the importance of using a mix of promotional strategies in marketing

jer3m

HSC
N/A
The question was global factors in consideration of outsourcing - how is research and development, economies of scale, global sourcing and scant and learning relevant to outsourcing ?

:(

I said things like cultural/language barriers, cheaper labour, increased logistics complexity and cost. Will I still get marks for my interpretation?
That's what you were meant to write about. I understand global sourcing which is pretty much outsouring and economies of scale. But research and development? I dont care if its in the syllabus thats not a global factor affecting outsourcing unless research and development in regards to laws and legal compliances in the country the business is outsourcing to.
Dw Zepp, what you did was right, if written well i dont see any reason for not getting like an 18

mrwhite14

HSC
I kept calling it just Emu Manufacturers...... Is that going to effect my mark? #plshelpme

alyssaajadee

HSC
I kept calling it just Emu Manufacturers...... Is that going to effect my mark? #plshelpme
I was doing that too! I doubt it completely because you are still engaging with the question and the business itself so honestly i doubt it would make any difference....if that were to affect my mark and others who wrote about completely irrelevant syllabus dot points that would annoy me!

mrwhite14

HSC
I was doing that too! I doubt it completely because you are still engaging with the question and the business itself so honestly i doubt it would make any difference....if that were to affect my mark and others who wrote about completely irrelevant syllabus dot points that would annoy me!
Yeah too true. Okay. Yeah i still referenced the fact that they made uniforms idk i just thought they were only called emu manufacturers :/

mrwhite14

HSC
I abbreviated it according to it the initials of the name...

it ended up being EUM. I hope the markers realise that I abbreviated it or they'll think I'm a spaz who cannot spell emu rofl
HAHAHAAHAHAHA. I'm sure we will be fine. I think i even referred to them as "Emu's" in one of my sentences... fml hahaha. Hopefully they focus on the ACTUAL content of the report

LandCo

HSC
N/A
okay, fml. i was confident all the way through the exam until i reached the global factors of my business report. couldnt remember the doing point specifically urgh. just went with logisitics, warehousing and ecommerce for some reason. this totally threw me off for the essay aswell. omg.

mrwhite14

HSC
okay, fml. i was confident all the way through the exam until i reached the global factors of my business report. couldnt remember the doing point specifically urgh. just went with logisitics, warehousing and ecommerce for some reason. this totally threw me off for the essay aswell. omg.
those make sense. As long as you explained it well, you'll definitely pick up some marks :) Apparently they give marks v/ easily in the report.

jer3m

HSC
N/A
You'd be surprised like mr white said that hsc markers actually look to give you marks. If you wrote 3 pages or more, the report is structure ok (exec summary body recommendation) and it sounds logical and cohesive and then wrote how you say only those 3 things they'll probably give you like a 12. If you explained them really well maybe a bit higher. Then to get into the 18+ region it all comes down to terminology and making sure you cover what the question asks.

celix

HSC
Yeah i mentioned Social & Ethical Issues, Costs and Skillsets acquired from outsourcing, also mentioned about less control over quality etc.. for the global factors anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)