Seeing performances for Critical Review (1 Viewer)

Jezzame

hey guys and gals i dun have much time so i will be brief.. where are you all seeing your performances for critical review?? the problem i have with this is the cash.. im quite close to glen street theatre so its not that much of a problem for me to get places but still is there anywhere that isnt dodgey that is relativley cheap?

all comments welcome...
REVIEWERS RULE!!! heheh
VIVA LA RISTANCE

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Okay... Belvoir upstairs is good.. downstairs is a little more amature and therefore not as good. But Belvoir upstairs is a MUST

Avoid Newtown New Theatre... its amature

Performance space in redfern can be good

STC is EXCELENT! def. go and see one of them.

Griffin in the stables at Kings Cross

Railway/Q Theatre in Penrith

Riverside Theatre in Parramatta (going to see Lear there tommorow)

Bondi Pavillion has King LEar on now, and its really good. Check out Bondi.

BTW Im not doing theatre criticism, doing an ARP, but have researched theatre in SYD for my topic.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
lol I'm doing theatre review and I don't know half the stuff that Will knows.

*hangs head in shame*

but seriously, go to Belvoir Upstairs. Will's made me fall in love with the upstairs theatre.

I don't know if u can use king lear
in ur portfolio because it's on the
Adv. Eng course list
So, just check on that with ur teacher

Katjif

pondering dystopic life
HSC
Hey I'm also doing theatre crit.

Griffin Theatre (Stables Kings Cross) is great because on Mondays, its pay what you can.. minimum $5. So you can literally go see their plays for $5.

I'm an ambassador for griffin(ie: get free entrance and workshops and stuff) so if you need mroe info on Griffin, let me know.

Also, Belvoir is awesome, the ppl are pretty good, I think they have a pay what you can day as well.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Belvoir has pay what you can (Min $5) on tuesday nights but only for Downstairs performances. For every season they have a free upstairs performance for the unwaged (students fall in that category) but its only during the day.

Doing my IP on Belvoir. Lol. Can you tell? :)

Jezzame

thanks for the advice guys/gals.. the problem is me getting to these places :p that 5 dollar minimum seems good though... maybe once i get my P's! hehe

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
lol well I can't help you with getting to the places. Me and public transport just DON'T go together, but i'm heaps spoilt and get driven everywhere. lol I know that there are heaps of buses into the city and opera house, but I have no idea how u would get to belvoir or griffins. Well i suppose there are heaps of buses to the cross right?

*shrugs* sorry Jezzame!

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Originally posted by Jezzame
thanks for the advice guys/gals.. the problem is me getting to these places :p that 5 dollar minimum seems good though... maybe once i get my P's! hehe
Most people have matinee's, DO NOT go to Belvior on public transport unless your doing a matinee, cause u need to walk through central station and surry hills. Not a good idea, driving IS def. best. Do you have folks that can drive you?

Katjif

pondering dystopic life
HSC
yup guys, loads of public transport to Griffin. Just Catch a train to Kings Cross station, then walk out to under the HUGE Coke sign, and if you're looking at the sign, Craigend st (where griffin is) is on your right. It's the only street there with streetlights. If you get lost, ask, people know it.

Belvoir...there are buses to Surry Hills, but off the top of my head, I don't know them. Just call Belvoir and ask, they're heaps cool there, they'll love you. Walking through that area can be dodgy, but if you keep to yourself and stuff, you should be sweet. It's not far to Central. I know there's a bus, the 343 that goes fro opposite central to the laneway that Belvoir is near. It's only like 3 stops, but do it anyways.

Hmmm Jezz, where do you live? We'll see what we can do to find some in your area.

If all else fails, steal a car and get your ass to Belvoir/Griffin. haha, or get your P's like me :D

pungpui

HSC
hey im a little stuck

i wanted to basically see 2 amateur and 2 pro productions and review them, and i've seen both pro's but am having trouble finding my last amateur one.

I've seen The Servant of Two Masters at the SOA, Vincent at Brixton at Ensemble, and Pink Thunderbirds at Castle Hill Pavillion,

The trouble is, while pro's are at good, easy to get to locations, such as circular quay, kirribilli, near harbour bridge, etc., the amateur ones are harder to find and are less accessible.

I dont want to go back to Belvoir Street after an incident there when I saw the Dumb Waiter last year involving car smashing and a stolen laptop, so any suggestions?

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Originally posted by pungpui
hey im a little stuck

i wanted to basically see 2 amateur and 2 pro productions and review them, and i've seen both pro's but am having trouble finding my last amateur one.

I've seen The Servant of Two Masters at the SOA, Vincent at Brixton at Ensemble, and Pink Thunderbirds at Castle Hill Pavillion,

The trouble is, while pro's are at good, easy to get to locations, such as circular quay, kirribilli, near harbour bridge, etc., the amateur ones are harder to find and are less accessible.

I dont want to go back to Belvoir Street after an incident there when I saw the Dumb Waiter last year involving car smashing and a stolen laptop, so any suggestions?
Okay, i have to advise AGAINST amatuer productions, i REALLY wouldnt do them. But Newtown New Theatre is ALL amatuer.

Jezzame

Hmmm Jezz, where do you live? We'll see what we can do to find some in your area.
I live in duffys forest (this is right next to terrey hills). have fun finding me RELIABLE public transport... wait... theres no such thing as reliable public transport... :p

Katjif

pondering dystopic life
HSC
hmmm...ok, good point.. here are the problems
1) I have NO idea where you live
2) Griffin's play Torrez just finished so I couldn't even organise a cheap ticket for u
3) aghhh

OK, here's my next question..how hard is it for you to get to the city??

Jezzame

hey i figured out how to get cheap performances.. at glen street theatre if you come in in the last hour you can get student rush which is 11 bucks :D:D:D

Jezzame

Yeah we'd be loss without our student rushes.. i can still get in as a child though... which is ok :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)