Seeking advice - ANU Law or UTS Law ? (1 Viewer)

Constantine

HSC
I was fortunate enough to receive offers from both ANU and UTS for double degree law. I would really like to hear someone else's opinion on this before I make the big decision.

ANU is the dream university for me as it's the only uni which offers int. relations and law and in terms of ranking, it is above UTS (#1 for law in AUS 2015 and top 15 in the world) so that's a bonus too. However, as I do not reside in Sydney, accommodation is a big worry of mine. I do not have stable financial backing so the min. $200/wk, excluding other various fees, can be stressful. This is where I lean towards UTS as I would save a lot of money in this regard. In addition, UTS law courses are known for their practicality and I heard that more than half of their law undergraduates have been recruited half-time and full-time in the legal industry before graduating and are able to secure jobs upon graduation so this is impressive too.

If there's anyone out there who has personal experiences at these two unis with law, or know anything related, do tell!
Thank you!

sweetdaisy

HSC
I am a UTS Law/Business student and I personally like UTS Law a lot. The faculty has a great emphasis on the practical component and the seminars are a great way to sharpen your critical and analytical skills since there are participation marks so class discussion is essential. The tutors are amazing - They make the driest aspects of law manageable and I enjoy the extensive range of extra-curricular and employment opportunities offered.

I initially had the mindset like most high school graduates that I must enter a prestigious uni like UNSW or USYD or else I won't score a graduate job. However, as I began studying at uni, i realised that it wasn't the uni's rank that determined my success or employment rate but rather purely hard work and commitment. If you are willing to work hard and maintain an average D/HD, I cannot see why you can't compete with other students. I was able to receive internship offers in my 2nd year so that is solid proof. If ANU is a financial strain, I would opt out of it and attend a local uni. Again, it is up to your decision.

All the best with your studies

Last edited:

jaydizzlegear

HSC
I am a UTS Law/Business student and I personally like UTS Law a lot. The faculty has a great emphasis on the practical component and the seminars are a great way to sharpen your critical and analytical skills since there are participation marks so class discussion is essential. The tutors are amazing - They make the driest aspects of law manageable and I enjoy the extensive range of extra-curricular and employment opportunities offered.

I initially had the mindset like most high school graduates that I must enter a prestigious uni like UNSW or USYD or else I won't score a graduate job. However, as I began studying at uni, i realised that it wasn't the uni's rank that determined my success or employment rate but rather purely hard work and commitment. If you are willing to work hard and maintain an average D/HD, I cannot see why you can't compete with other students. I was able to receive internship offers in my 2nd year so that is solid proof. If ANU is a financial strain, I would opt out of it and attend a local uni. Again, it is up to your decision.

All the best with your studies
just curious, how did you go about receiving internship offers?

Constantine, if you are really set on doing International Relations and Law, then you should definitely choose ANU, but if you aren't set on that course, then maybe UTS would be better in this scenario.

Constantine

HSC
[...] I was able to receive internship offers in my 2nd year so that is solid proof. [...]
Thank you for your reply ! That is definitely a positive. I view work experience highly so to receive internship offer in the second year is very impressive. However I'm thinking about doing business and law at UTS should I attend. When it comes to legal internship, do they just look at your law results or both of your degrees?

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
whichever is closer and more convienient, seriously, who gives a shit what school you got your law degree from

sweetdaisy

HSC
UTS Jobs informs us of any employment/internships opportunities available and I applied through there :)

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
whichever is closer and more convienient, seriously, who gives a shit what school you got your law degree from
Employers do. Unless you're on a low credit ave than you might as well drop out Because no university will help you there.

I would definitely go uts because it is close and the difference with ANU is not that great for someone who just wants to work and not that into research etc. Your prospects from either uni will be pretty much the same.

Uts degree also has placement within it. They will set you up with skills you need to kickstart your law career.

Again its all about you taking the initiative to go beyond just "oh I'll wait till 4th year to apply for some internship".

Be prepared to work for a pittance (or free) unless you're good enough to land a para role plus winter clerkship at a big law by 3rd year.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Employers do. Unless you're on a low credit ave than you might as well drop out Because no university will help you there.

I would definitely go uts because it is close and the difference with ANU is not that great for someone who just wants to work and not that into research etc. Your prospects from either uni will be pretty much the same.

Uts degree also has placement within it. They will set you up with skills you need to kickstart your law career.

Again its all about you taking the initiative to go beyond just "oh I'll wait till 4th year to apply for some internship".

Be prepared to work for a pittance (or free) unless you're good enough to land a para role plus winter clerkship at a big law by 3rd year.
says the second year law student...

I think it is naive to believe that the university you go to is the be all and end all... Honestly, the fact of the matter is, it's what you do that is different from others that separates you from the pack and makes you more appealing to employers... However, I do concede that the university you go to does play a part, BUT! I am not saying it is the be all and end all... That consideration is fractional, in the broad scheme of things... That can be said less so about grades, however, that does not mean you will be without a job just because of your grades... I mean, I have a mate who went to Melbourne uni and did a Business degree, graduated with honours and was without work for two years (because there was nothing separating him from the other candidates... The guy didn't have a job while in uni, he didn't even volunteer while he was studying, etc)

Fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter what university you go to... The Supreme Court in your state says it is an institution that is well versed and qualified to teach you law...

Think it is also naive to believe that just because you went to USYD, ANU, et al and got a 6.5 on your GPA, that it automatically entitles you to a traineeship with Mallesons, Herbert Smith Freehills, etc... If you think that, you are in for a very rude awakening...

If the prestige of the school were a consideration... I would NOT! go UTS... ANU definitely gets my vote... If it matters that much...

Last edited:

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
says the second year law student...

I think it is naive to believe that the university you go to is the be all and end all... Honestly, the fact of the matter is, it's what you do that is different from others that separates you from the pack and makes you more appealing to employers... However, I do concede that the university you go to does play a part, BUT! I am not saying it is the be all and end all... That consideration is fractional, in the broad scheme of things... That can be said less so about grades, however, that does not mean you will be without a job just because of your grades... I mean, I have a mate who went to Melbourne uni and did a Business degree, graduated with honours and was without work for two years (because there was nothing separating him from the other candidates... The guy didn't have a job while in uni, he didn't even volunteer while he was studying, etc)

Fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter what university you go to... The Supreme Court in your state says it is an institution that is well versed and qualified to teach you law...

Think it is also naive to believe that just because you went to USYD, ANU, et al and got a 6.5 on your GPA, that it automatically entitles you to a traineeship with Mallesons, Herbert Smith Freehills, etc... If you think that, you are in for a very rude awakening...

If the prestige of the school were a consideration... I would NOT! go UTS... ANU definitely gets my vote... If it matters that much...
lol this guy.

When did I state or even imply university is the 'be all and end all'? You said 'who gives a shit' i.e. it doesn't matter at all while I said it does.

Again, just because I go to usyd and say that university does 'matter' (never said it was the 'be all and end all') does not mean I am 'naive' and have no idea about the legal world. No one fucking expects to get Freehills/Clutz etc with a 6.5 from USYD/UMelb Law and NOTHING ELSE on their CV. Chances are, most kids with a 6+ GPA in law are motivated enough to seek out clerkships, volunteering etc etc so let's not talk extremes and stick to what is actually observed. It is ultimately up to the student and how they use the opportunities available to them.

You're friend from Umelb sounds very naive. No one I know expects to get a job simply because of their university. They all know that you need top grades PLUS top work experience PLUS ECs to land the jobs they want.

Also, I don't know what kind of a student you were in your second year but it is naive to assume someone knows less than you simply because they are a "second year law student". Although I'm not going into law, I do have some understanding of the legal grad/clerkship sector.

Edit: pls respond.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
lol this guy.

When did I state or even imply university is the 'be all and end all'? You said 'who gives a shit' i.e. it doesn't matter at all while I said it does.

Again, just because I go to usyd and say that university does 'matter' (never said it was the 'be all and end all') does not mean I am 'naive' and have no idea about the legal world. No one fucking expects to get Freehills/Clutz etc with a 6.5 from USYD/UMelb Law and NOTHING ELSE on their CV. Chances are, most kids with a 6+ GPA in law are motivated enough to seek out clerkships, volunteering etc etc so let's not talk extremes and stick to what is actually observed. It is ultimately up to the student and how they use the opportunities available to them.

You're friend from Umelb sounds very naive. No one I know expects to get a job simply because of their university. They all know that you need top grades PLUS top work experience PLUS ECs to land the jobs they want.

Also, I don't know what kind of a student you were in your second year but it is naive to assume someone knows less than you simply because they are a "second year law student". Although I'm not going into law, I do have some understanding of the legal grad/clerkship sector.

Edit: pls respond.
This noob.

@ OP. The big draw for UTS is bundling the PLT into the law degree. This saves you time and money. Apparently, ANU is going down that road too. It's worth investigating. ANU has a nice campus and a good campus culture. If you have the money, and luck yourself into a Daley Road college you'll have a good time. It's hard moving to a new city without much by way of savings though. Have you considered a transfer after one year at UTS to give yourself a chance to save up and re-evaluate? Have a check and see if there are non-law courses you can do at UTS which will give you credit towards the degree you want to do at ANU. At least when I was at ANU, the B Int Relations was a pointlessly restrictive arts degree that had a higher cut off to make people feel special. Check out the course carefully to see what it offers that a BA can't offer you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)