Seen Troy? (1 Viewer)

R

randhi

well i just watched it and i didn't think of the historical point of view because i figure either way its going to be wrong considering that the story of Troy it self is probably altered considering the number of years and also it was handede down through the word of mouth till it was actually written.

anyhow, one thing i did spot was when Helen and Paris are talking that part i cant remember but there were many cuts from her face to paris, her hair was down up when u saw her from front on and then when you saw her from the back it wasn't!!! major and very obvious mistake.

appart from that i think it was great i don't know about you but paris killed Achillie and basically then he and Hectors cousin couldn't live happily ever after. that was a real heart breaker.

but overall i loved the movie even for its historical inaccuracies.

Maveryck

It was really well made, and the acting was great (especially Eric Bana).

The history was way off. Achilles isn't killed by Paris, Paris dies at the end, there is no secret passage out of Troy, the war lasts 10 years not 2 weeks, the body of Hector was dragged around the Temple of Apollo for 12 days not 10 seconds, Menelaus isn't killed, Helen doesn't escape with Paris, and Aeneas isn't a grinning little douchebag.

Otherwise, 'twas a good movie.

tom_sampson

Hear hear! And Ajax wasn't killed by Hector, he was killed on his own sword. Plus i was quite miffed that the only decent actor (Eric Bana) died, they should have had some little pansy like Orlando Bloom play his part so he finally gets his ass kicked thoroughly. But then again, Menelaius did slap him up a bit, until a historical inaccuracy, I mean Eric Bana stepped in to save Orlando's ass. I'm done.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Originally posted by Maveryck
It was really well made, and the acting was great (especially Eric Bana).

The history was way off. Achilles isn't killed by Paris, Paris dies at the end, there is no secret passage out of Troy, the war lasts 10 years not 2 weeks, the body of Hector was dragged around the Temple of Apollo for 12 days not 10 seconds, Menelaus isn't killed, Helen doesn't escape with Paris, and Aeneas isn't a grinning little douchebag.

Otherwise, 'twas a good movie.
Firstly, there is no history. It's mythology. Secondly, I don't know how you can call the acting great. The performances ranged from bad to passable.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
We all know why it said "Inspired By The Illiad" rather than "Based on", now don't we!

And excuse me if I'm, wrong... but last time I checked, the Aegean is WEST of Troy... yes?
And HOW many times did we see the sun rise over the ocean?

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
It was a good movie as long as you take it in good fun and don't pick it apart, otherwise it loses the point. I must admit, I spent quite a bit of the movie looking at the Architecture of Troy... they did a nice job on that.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
ok ppl, plz dont anyone hurt me 4 aying this...but...ITS JUST A MOVIE PEOPLE! get over it! i know that we all love history and everything, but, does it really matter if there were historical inaccuracies? after all, it didn't pretend to be the truth - actually, it didn't really pretend to be any semblence of it! let's face it, i'm willing to bet that not many of you went to see it for its historical value!
excepting angelduck of course, seeing as it is imperitive to her project on hollywood

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^ haha ... your post reminds me of one of my friends. she sat through troy and picked it to pieces in terms of historical inaccuracies ... now noone is ever going to go to any histrical movies with her ... EVER AGAIN

leginag

Sydney, NSW, Australia, Southern Hemisphere
haha but the movie gets soo boring...i saw it the first time and only 3 of the people fell asleep... when i went to see it the second time with different people...i was the only one in the whole row who was actually awake for the WHOLE movie....and trust me....its very boring... yes troy itself looks good but you can only look at the yellow walls sooo many times lol

^^Wolf

R

randhi

lol uhave a point
hence the next time i see this film will be in ten years to remind myself of it.

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
RHIANNON!!!!!
U know i saw it the second time for reasons beyond my project girlie!!!!
Have you seen Harry Potter yet girl?? Apparently its more boring than Troy! Must remember to take a pillow for wini......

Oh, and the architecture was OK, BUT!!!!! Since when were the golden doors of troy wooden??? If they were wooden, the greeks would have burnt them, THEY WERE GOLD!!!!!! Hence "Golden walls of TRoy" NOT wooden! Stupid Hollywood.

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
^ enough about the bloody doors ducky!! Sheesh, i havn't seen Troy yet and for some reason i'm now inclined NOT to see it. Way to ruin a movie people! Can't you understand that Hollywood has to "dumb" down films for ye' modern audience? That means focusing less on the historical stuff (too much for the audience's wee lil' brains) and more on the action side (ooh! a sword! I like swords!! They go swish!!)

classics_chic

HSC
I've heard people say it was a real representation of the time period written about by Homer... don't make me laugh! Homer didn't write about a time period, he wrote about a myth that was edited from 1200BC to approximately 700BC. Therefore it was a representation of all those times, but no one really knows what aspects come from which times.

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
Trigger189 said:
I could not have imagined this film with the gods included.
My thoughts exactly, I did enjoy the battles though, how the hopites literally 'threw' themselves over the lines of clashing shields just to try and have a hack at the enemy. I also loved the landing of boats.

daninhocr

HSC
Even though the movie is not accurate according to Homers Illiad I think da movie was Gr8 and probably da best i watched.

Danm999

HSC
I think Troy tried to be too many things, and failed at them all as a result.

The historical or mythological aspects of the tale were poorly represented.

But to what degree is mythology history? If we nitpick at unlikely events from the Illiad and call the whole thing as a result un-historical, you'd have to be broad. In his histories, Herodotus mentions Indians rob giant ants of gold at night. Do we then discount the Greco-Persian wars as fictitious? No, we take it at face value and do the best we can with the evidence we have.

And the evidence suggests that a city in Asia Minor probably fought against a coalition of Greek cities. Archaelogy suggests it, Homer strengthens it. To what extent were they running around shooting each other in the heels and planting giant horses? We just don't know.

In the case of Troy and the Illiad, we are missing much of the evidence. The actuall Illiad book only covers from Achilles refusing to fight to the funeral of Hector, or something similiar. All the other books which contain the start of the war, the death of Achilles and even the Trojan horse, are lost. To condense the events of several books down, into a misrepresentative event is pretty poor.

For the writers to simply make things up distorts an already distorted issue.

As for the other side, who claim it's just a movie and is only for entertainment purposes, I think they handled that poorly too. In the mythology, the Gods had a very active role in the siege of Troy. Why not include them in the movie, makes it more dynamic, entertaining, immerses you in a richer texture. The fights were well planned, but too small scale and anachronistic. Where was the traditional Greek phalanx? Why were they fighting Celtic-Romano style?

I think Troy could have been much more entertaining, or much more historically accurate, or perhaps even both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)