Selective Breeding (1 Viewer)

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm just looking at dot point 5.7 and at present I can't find anything on it in my notes. Can someone give me an idea of what species you did for it in class?

It says:
"Analyse and present information from secondary sources to trace the history of the selective breeding of one species for agricultural purposes and use available evidence to describe the series of changes that have occurred in the species as a result of this selective breeding"

Just thinking about it, dogs would be a good idea. So would marijuana (my chem teacher was telling me that they've modified it so that it doesn't contain the chemical/halucinogen/whatever-it-is, and so it can be grown for use in textiles and making rope?

So yeah, anything would be greatly appreciated! =D

hermine

HSC
my teacher thoroughly emphasised the use for "agricultural purposes" and so advised we chose examples like sheep and wheat.
I chose wheat and have a pretty lengthy history of it to show the series of changes, but im not actually sure if its supposed to be this detailed haha:

History of Wheat domestication
17 000 - BC Wild Emmer wheat collected and eaten - archaeological site in Israel

10 000 BC Wild Einkorn wheat collected and eaten - archaeological sites northern Syria

7800 - 7000 BC Emmer domesticated further through selection and propagation of plants with plumper seeds, remained cereal crop through Neolithic period and into Bronze age.

Einkorn domesticated through selection and propagation of plants with plumper seeds, in time became major crop and spread around Europe.

6000 – 7000 BC Selection of free-threshing, naked forms of Emmer wheat successful. By late Bronze age growing of naked wheats predominated in Mediterranean regions
Durum wheat is derived from naked types

4700 BC Earliest record of Bread wheat (grass at some stage formed fertile hybrid with cultivated Emmer wheat): free-threshing, naked Bread wheat developed after.

Currently Ongoing wheat breeding for drought and fungal disease resistance – Australia leading research in wheat breeding.
E.g. 1900s 'Federation wheat' (Australian wheat) bred from hybridised wheat varieties to produce characteristics favourable to Australian climate (poor soil, hot climate, fungal diseases). Previously wheat was imported, was unsuccessfully or poorly grown.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Also a very good one - the banana. You can bring up the fact it was selectively bred to look like what it looks like now - and then extensively cloned, leaving it open to disease.

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Sick one, thanks a bunch guys!!
...I wish my biology teacher was as helpful =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)