Selective high school entry from year8-12?? (1 Viewer)

jennifernb

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm in Year 10 this year, currently attending a partially selective high school, but our rank isn't great. The environment and people here aren't the nicest so I was thinking about moving to a fully selective school.

I'm aware that you have to do a test for some schools, and I'm planning to do so. Has anyone here done the test and can give some tips?

I volunteer outside of school too if that helps.

My report last year was average but this year's has been pretty decent from all the hardwork I put in, I'm not sure if my previous report will stop me from being able to move schools.

My choices in mind are:

North Sydney Girls
Hornsby Girls
Girraween
St George Girls
or Northern Beaches Manly (though it's quite far for me)

These schools involve me having to sit a test, but I'm also applying for other schools that don't require me to do so which are:

Baulkham Hills
Fort Street
Sydney Girls

Does anyone know how I can get into these schools? Any tips for the exam or in general?
I've searched for practice exams but they don't seem to have many. I'm willing to work extremely hard and do all the tutoring if necessary.

My ultimate goal however is to make it into North Sydney Girls as I've heard that the faculty are extremely diligent and so are the students. I've worked with a few of the girls there in extra-curricular programs and their self determination is so inspiring.

But at the same time I don't think I'm that smart to get in, does anyone have any tips for nsg in particular? and around how many students get in, in year 11?

Thanks guys it'll be greatly appreciated!

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I'm in Year 10 this year, currently attending a partially selective high school, but our rank isn't great. The environment and people here aren't the nicest so I was thinking about moving to a fully selective school.

I'm aware that you have to do a test for some schools, and I'm planning to do so. Has anyone here done the test and can give some tips?

I volunteer outside of school too if that helps.

My report last year was average but this year's has been pretty decent from all the hardwork I put in, I'm not sure if my previous report will stop me from being able to move schools.

My choices in mind are:

North Sydney Girls
Hornsby Girls
Girraween
St George Girls
or Northern Beaches Manly (though it's quite far for me)

These schools involve me having to sit a test, but I'm also applying for other schools that don't require me to do so which are:

Baulkham Hills
Fort Street
Sydney Girls

Does anyone know how I can get into these schools? Any tips for the exam or in general?
I've searched for practice exams but they don't seem to have many. I'm willing to work extremely hard and do all the tutoring if necessary.

My ultimate goal however is to make it into North Sydney Girls as I've heard that the faculty are extremely diligent and so are the students. I've worked with a few of the girls there in extra-curricular programs and their self determination is so inspiring.

But at the same time I don't think I'm that smart to get in, does anyone have any tips for nsg in particular? and around how many students get in, in year 11?

Thanks guys it'll be greatly appreciated!
Fort street requires you to do a test

Go to Rivalryoftroll's thread "Guide to applying for a selective school"

Shazzaaa

HSC
Just bear in mind that you can only apply for 3 schools. I believe that reports will have less weighting for the schools that administer entrance exams; so maybe you could try out for those.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Also for Fort Street, if you wanna get in you'll need to do well in the entrance test as well as get a good report (i.e. straight A's or similar)

For the interview (from what my friend said to me), they'll ask you things like "how did you think you went in your report/test" or "what did you write in your essay" or "what is the history of fort street" (this is what some1 told me last year)

pomsky

HSC
On the flip side, don't get too stressed about the interview once you get past the test. iirc, in Year 11, my school accepted everyone who got through to the interview stage and even that wasn't enough to fill in the quota they opened for new students. (Which is kinda lol-worthy and really puts the whole hype into perspective.) The school I'm talking about is up high in your preference list.

Keep in mind however, that it's usually easier to get in in Year 11 because that's when selective schools open a whole bunch of places for anybody who wants to go there, whereas entry into Year 8-10 (there's very rarely any positions open for Year 12) is based on how many students that left that particular school. i.e If no students wanted to leave, then they'll likely reject all applications. Alternatively, if everybody left, they'll accept applications for 150 students lol.

Pro-tip for when you get in: Teacher's aren't as hardworking or diligent as they'll like you to believe. (You'll have a few great ones here and there.) Particularly as the good ones have either retired, or have been stolen by private schools. : '(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)