Selective school enrollment. (1 Viewer)

MissyL

HSC
Hey guys, I'm currently in year 10 and applying for selective schools as soon as it becomes available. I go to a pretty bad low tier school and i'm aching to make it to a selective. My grades at school are good, my year 9 yearly reports, I got 7 A's 1 B first in history and elective history and second for maths and commerce. I'm hoping i can manage this again for this half yearly, but other than that my involvement in school isn't too great and I don't have very much evidence of co-curricular activities. The best of my co-curricular activities would be my credit from AMC maths competition. If that's so, would my report (and my performance in enrollment tests) be able to carry me through the enrollment? and also, would the fact of me being in a low tier (lower than rank 150) school make the selection committees reluctant to offer me? Other than this, can some one please explain community service to me. Also if you want to find out my school you can sms me :p tyvm! reply ASAP! God bless!

Last edited:

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
community service involves stuff like volunteering: e.g. Salvation army, vincent de paul stuff.
does the school you want have an entry test? if so, they would take that into accoutn as well. I think that you should ask a user called RivalryofTroll, he knows a lot about this kind of stuff.
Academically speaking you are very impressive, but do some extra stuff like chess/debating- it shows you are well-rounded and an attractive candidate. Hope that helps :).

MissyL

HSC
Thank you for your snappy response! For vincent de paul, do i just go straight up to the store and ask for enrollment?

Aysce

HSC
Thank you for your snappy response! For vincent de paul, do i just go straight up to the store and ask for enrollment?
Yeah, when I went they just let me start straight away after taking some details. Got some pretty nice prefs from them in the end ;)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I'm currently in year 10 and applying for selective schools as soon as it becomes available. I go to a pretty bad low tier school and i'm aching to make it to a selective. My grades at school are good, my year 9 yearly reports, I got 7 A's 1 B first in history and elective history and second for maths and commerce. I'm hoping i can manage this again for this half yearly, but other than that my involvement in school isn't too great and I don't have very much evidence of co-curricular activities. The best of my co-curricular activities would be my credit from AMC maths competition. If that's so, would my report (and my performance in enrollment tests) be able to carry me through the enrollment? and also, would the fact of me being in a low tier (lower than rank 150) school make the selection committees reluctant to offer me? Other than this, can some one please explain community service to me. Also if you want to find out my school you can sms me :p tyvm! reply ASAP! God bless!
- Welcome to BoS. An immediate tip I can give you is: since you have up to 4 choices, use all of them. Apply for 4 selective schools. The more schools you apply for, the more chances of you making it into a school. A good combo of options could be apply for 2 fully selective schools and 2 partial selective schools OR 3 fully selective schools and 1 partial selective school, etc.
- Your year 9 yearly report is excellent. But make sure you replicate the same/similar standard in your Year 10 half yearly report (the most important piece of evidence for academic achievements in your application). Other academic stuff include your Year 9 NAPLAN results.
- Lack of extra curricular activities: Don't worry, I had barely any extra-cirriculars too but I managed to get offers (for Year 11 entry) from 2 fully selective schools when I was in your year. Just jot down everything you can. Academic edge is the MOST important thing for MOST selective schools. Extra-activities only give you an edge as a tiebreak for those applicants who are equally as good as you in academics. AMC maths comp stuff is good to include. But tbh, these kinda stuff are very important in the grand scheme of things at times.
- Yes, your report and entrance test CAN carry you. In fact, most schools that set entrance tests MAINLY care about the entrance test cause reports are not fully accurate indicators (some schools can give easy As and whatnot). I've had friends with mediocre reports (barely any As, mainly Bs and Cs), making it into schools like Fort Street and Hurlstone due to their entrance test performance.
- Question about bad tier school:
On the wide scale, you won't be affected. Especially for a school with an entrance test because the test is a good indicator and separates you (clearly) from other candidates. Even for a school without an entrance test, there will be BARELY any effect I'd assume.
- Community service was outlined by Kurosaki. Basically Red Shield appeal, Salvo, etc.

Good things to note down:
- An excellent report(s) + other application evidence like NAPLAN, extra-curriculars and whatnot can probably ensure you entry into a school without an ENTRANCE TEST.
- But for a school with an ENTRANCE TEST, sometimes, the entrance test (being a fairer indicator) is worth more than your evidence/application. Though, it varies between schools.
- Pick selective schools which are closest to you in terms of distance.

So good luck!

(If you have anymore questions, feel free to post)

MissyL

HSC
Thank you for this extensive response! However, in some schools where they require your naplan results, does it matter if you don't give it to them? Because I have lost my year 7 Naplan papers and my year 9 naplan papers weren't at all satisfactory (no band 10s, band 7,8, or 9). Also could you tell me what I SHOULD study for when it comes to taking the entry exam?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you for this extensive response! However, in some schools where they require your naplan results, does it matter if you don't give it to them? Because I have lost my year 7 Naplan papers and my year 9 naplan papers weren't at all satisfactory (no band 10s, band 7,8, or 9). Also could you tell me what I SHOULD study for when it comes to taking the entry exam?
Not too sure.

I know some schools, you don't need to hand in NAPLAN.

Maybe just tell the school that you misplaced your NAPLAN and ask them what you should about it to be safe.

What you should study?

Depends on the school's entrance test.

Entrance tests for different schools vary in difficulty and stuff.

In general,

for English, just become proficient at comprehension based questions (short answers), essay writing and creative writing.

Also, reading a book before the test is a good thing to do. I remember I had to do an essay (for 1 of the schools I applied) on a novel I've read recently. Essay question was asking like how the composer has crafted the book into I guess you could say a fine ''piece of work'' (basically urging you to talk about the language, structure and whatnot of the text that has made it an effective text). The previous year's extended section was a creative rather than an essay.

Meanwhile, Hurlstone applicants were required to write an essay on an agricultural issue (with reference to the given article/stimulus that was used for short answers).

For Mathematics, most schools will test you on:
- Early Year 10 syllabus content + late Year 9 syllabus content + MAYBE anything else since Year 7.
- Some schools like NSB are an exception to this rule. They may set tests that require you to know late Year 10 syllabus content.

Some schools may also have an additional ''science'' section like Hurlstone's entrance exam.

Also, some schools like Fort Street may do additional testing.

Fort Street asks you to complete a hand-in essay before the day of your entrance test as well.

So check up with the school. Also, ask past students who have tried out for the schools you're trying out for advice/tips and whatnot.

Balls2u

HSC
It was only like months ago when Rivalry gave me tips for selective entrance when I was all worried and stuff (back in early 2012) :,) (thanks for the help btw)
Alright MissyL, firstly starting literally now if you haven't already, you need to look at extra curricular activities, good choices would be debating, public speaking, chess, grade sport, school music ensemble, choir and volunteering stuff/community service as Kurosaki mentioned. No your report is definitely not enough to carry you into a selective school, on the basis of 2 reasons. Firstly, selective schools obviously look at extra curricular activities; essentially what you could be of value to their school other than another potential 99 scorer. Secondly, you mentioned you come from a lower ranked school, remember there are kids from partial selective/lower ranked selective schools competing for spots too, so if you want to really stand out with your report you need to achieve 95 or higher in all subjects. Personally I think if you ace your report this year, with good extra co and maybe a high distinction for some comps that give results before the selective forms are due (national geo comp, chem quiz), try for schools that don't require an entrance test(3/4 of your schools). If you do "okay" then june is really the time to start studying up for those tests. If you have any queries feel free to pm me.

Last edited:

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
It was only like months ago when Rivalry gave me tips for selective entrance when I was all worried and stuff (back in early 2012) :,) (thanks for the help btw)
Alright MissyL, firstly starting literally now if you haven't already, you need to look at extra curricular activities, good choices would be debating, public speaking, chess, grade sport, school music ensemble, choir and volunteering stuff/community service as Kurosaki mentioned. No your report is definitely not enough to carry you into a selective school, on the basis of 2 reasons. Firstly, selective schools obviously look at extra curricular activities; essentially what you could be of value to their school other than another potential 99 scorer. Secondly, you mentioned you come from a lower ranked school, remember there are kids from partial selective/lower ranked selective schools competing for spots too, so if you want to really stand out with your report you need to achieve 95 or higher in all subjects. Personally I think if you ace your report this year, with good extra co and maybe a high distinction for some comps that give results before the selective forms are due (national geo comp, chem quiz), try for schools that don't require an entrance test(3/4 of your schools). If you do "okay" then june is really the time to start studying up for those tests. If you have any queries feel free to pm me.
This guy knows what he's talking about- absolute legend he is, made it into the fabled Teletubbies High School =). Altho maybe u lifted the target a little too high Balls? 95+ for everything is simply not realistic unless you're an absolute genius lol.
edit: Ok, maybe not, but I still reckon about 90+ for everything is fine =)

Last edited:

MissyL

HSC
I kept forgetting to ask this question day by day lol. But when enrolling for a selective school, why does it matter that your brother was a former a student at the school? how does it effect your enrollment in any way?

Balls2u

HSC
I kept forgetting to ask this question day by day lol. But when enrolling for a selective school, why does it matter that your brother was a former a student at the school? how does it effect your enrollment in any way?
If two students were at equal merit, the one with a family member who attended the school would get priority

MissyL

HSC
well anyways, over these few weeks I got myself in mock trial, SRC, clean up australia, duke of ed (hence shelving at local library or something). Should this be enough? have I over-committed myself? lol

Balls2u

HSC
well anyways, over these few weeks I got myself in mock trial, SRC, clean up australia, duke of ed (hence shelving at local library or something). Should this be enough? have I over-committed myself? lol
Yeah its enough for now

GolfGirl97

back from the dead
HSC
This thread is pretty helpful. Im also applying this year for Year 11 next year. im doing as much extra curricular stuff as i can so that have that extra stuff to put into my applications to show im a well rounded student. Im just really stressed about this seeing as its my last chance to escape this hole that they call a school. idk what else i can do to make my application look better. im defs applying for St George girls, maybe Hurlstone and maybe Sydney girls? but i was also thinking about a partially selective cos if i dont make it to the fully selective schools, i could most likely get accepted into the partially selective. is the test for hurlstone hard? cos i suck at tests and get stressed.. also a lot of people reckon that its too late to change schools and i should just stay where i am, i think otherwise. did anyone who applied for year 11 and made it thru have any problems and stuff? my school is pretty bad, but apparently we are one of the best non-selective government schools.....dont see how though although there are worse schools. did any of you guys find it easy to make friends and stuff? is the workload heaps? cos id be basically going from like 0 homework to tons.. :S ahhh im so stressed.
lol no way! im going to do duke of ed as well. im also a peer mentor, peer numeracy tutor (from last year) and i do representative sport. i was going to do some extra volunteering but my dad said what i have is enough and i dont want to over do it cos that could impact on my marks.
my advice is, sit any comps and stuff they have like ICAS, take everything one step at a time and dont get overwhelmed with your work (im trying to do that too cos i get stressed really easily in fact im scared i wont make it next year!) and just try really really hard for your half yearlies. if any extra things pop up at school, take the opportunity and do them, cos every little bit helps. we had the opportunity to apply for a school council position or something but i didnt do it and now im regretting it! >.< i shouldve done it. if any other things pop up at my school im going to do them cos it will all help...hopefully. also NAPLAN can help because they like to compare peoples results, and that is a national test and everyone wouldve done the same thing so it probably would help..but if your yesar 9 results werent that good, maybe dont put them in. Id go looking on the school website of the school(s) you want to apply for because they usually tell you what they are looking for in applications.
haha i also came first in elective history last year and geography :') agh! i really hope i make it next year, and i hope you do too!
What schools were you thinking of applying for if you dont mind my asking? :) oh and good luck :)

Verify

HSC
This thread is pretty helpful. Im also applying this year for Year 11 next year. im doing as much extra curricular stuff as i can so that have that extra stuff to put into my applications to show im a well rounded student. Im just really stressed about this seeing as its my last chance to escape this hole that they call a school. idk what else i can do to make my application look better. im defs applying for St George girls, maybe Hurlstone and maybe Sydney girls? but i was also thinking about a partially selective cos if i dont make it to the fully selective schools, i could most likely get accepted into the partially selective. is the test for hurlstone hard? cos i suck at tests and get stressed.. also a lot of people reckon that its too late to change schools and i should just stay where i am, i think otherwise. did anyone who applied for year 11 and made it thru have any problems and stuff? my school is pretty bad, but apparently we are one of the best non-selective government schools.....dont see how though although there are worse schools. did any of you guys find it easy to make friends and stuff? is the workload heaps? cos id be basically going from like 0 homework to tons.. :S ahhh im so stressed.
lol no way! im going to do duke of ed as well. im also a peer mentor, peer numeracy tutor (from last year) and i do representative sport. i was going to do some extra volunteering but my dad said what i have is enough and i dont want to over do it cos that could impact on my marks.
my advice is, sit any comps and stuff they have like ICAS, take everything one step at a time and dont get overwhelmed with your work (im trying to do that too cos i get stressed really easily in fact im scared i wont make it next year!) and just try really really hard for your half yearlies. if any extra things pop up at school, take the opportunity and do them, cos every little bit helps. we had the opportunity to apply for a school council position or something but i didnt do it and now im regretting it! >.< i shouldve done it. if any other things pop up at my school im going to do them cos it will all help...hopefully. also NAPLAN can help because they like to compare peoples results, and that is a national test and everyone wouldve done the same thing so it probably would help..but if your yesar 9 results werent that good, maybe dont put them in. Id go looking on the school website of the school(s) you want to apply for because they usually tell you what they are looking for in applications.
haha i also came first in elective history last year and geography :') agh! i really hope i make it next year, and i hope you do too!
What schools were you thinking of applying for if you dont mind my asking? :) oh and good luck :)
Woah that wall of text.... xD

1. I've heard that the the maths component of the Hurlstone test was alright. Hard, but not too hard. The English would probably be something agriculture related since it IS an agricultural school.
2. I applied last year and I got into my desired school :) I think it can be a bit of problem if you don't have any friends who already go to the school you desire to go to. I've seen/heard of some bullying going on in my and my neighbouring school and it doesn't sound too great. Just try to be casual and be yourself. Don't try acting differently in front of new people because that won't work. Eventually you'll find a good band of friends you'll stick to. :)
3. The workload is not heaps if you keep on top of it. For example if you neglect doing the homework you're set to do you're in a tough situation when it comes to assessments and exam blocks (unless you already know that content xD). Just be consistent.

You should defs apply for Sydney Girls I reckon. The people I know there are pretty much the kindest people I know.

MissyL

HSC
Haha hey :) I was thinking of applying for 1. Fort Street 2. Normanhurst 3. NSB 4. Baulko (yeah i live in the north shore suburbs) and good luck to you too, no pressure! ;)
I think it's useless changing to a partially selective cos the mainstream class joins up with the selective class anyways in senior years. Your curricular is better off than mine haha.
It's kind of too late to start improving my curricular (should have done more last year :/ ahh well).

Balls2u

HSC
Whatever you do, don't apply for a partial selective school. They merge the selective stream with the normal stream in yr 11.

GolfGirl97

back from the dead
HSC

1. I've heard that the the maths component of the Hurlstone test was alright. Hard, but not too hard. The English would probably be something agriculture related since it IS an agricultural school.
2. I applied last year and I got into my desired school :) I think it can be a bit of problem if you don't have any friends who already go to the school you desire to go to. I've seen/heard of some bullying going on in my and my neighbouring school and it doesn't sound too great. Just try to be casual and be yourself. Don't try acting differently in front of new people because that won't work. Eventually you'll find a good band of friends you'll stick to. :)
3. The workload is not heaps if you keep on top of it. For example if you neglect doing the homework you're set to do you're in a tough situation when it comes to assessments and exam blocks (unless you already know that content xD). Just be consistent.

You should defs apply for Sydney Girls I reckon. The people I know there are pretty much the kindest people I know.
hey haha! yeah i had a lot to explain :p
Ok, im not bad at maths. im in the top 5 of my class which is the top maths class so its all good..i hope. alright. english should be good too. my english teacher is a really harsh marker so i think with the results i get in class im coping pretty well. I should be able to do alright in the english part..oh agriculture..i should probably do a bit of reading on agriculture then.
I know 1 or 2 girls at St George, dont know anyone at Sydney. Hurlstone i dont know anyone either, but one of my friends is also applying which is a good thing and a bad thing. its a good thing because if we both get in we have someone, it is a bad thing because ur competing against eachother for something you both really want. She is applying for st george too.. so i really hope we can both get in, if she gets in instead of me i will be happy for her but ill also be crushed cos ive wanted to go there longer than her and ive wanted to move from our school way before she did. i just hope we both get in somewhere..
ohh ok. I can keep on top of my work if i dont procrastinate. im sure ill manage.
yeah i think this is my final list:
1. St George Girls
2. Sydney Girls
3. Hurlstone Ag.
4. Tempe (maybe)..does tempe still keep the selective and non selective stream of their school separate in years 11 and 12? because Sefton doesnt and theyre partially selective....ill only apply for Tempe if they keep the selective and non selective streams separate otherwise that kind of defeats the purpose of me going there. oh same question goes for macquarie fields...

GolfGirl97

back from the dead
HSC

hey haha! yeah i had a lot to explain :p
Ok, im not bad at maths. im in the top 5 of my class which is the top maths class so its all good..i hope. alright. english should be good too. my english teacher is a really harsh marker so i think with the results i get in class im coping pretty well. I should be able to do alright in the english part..oh agriculture..i should probably do a bit of reading on agriculture then.
I know 1 or 2 girls at St George, dont know anyone at Sydney. Hurlstone i dont know anyone either, but one of my friends is also applying which is a good thing and a bad thing. its a good thing because if we both get in we have someone, it is a bad thing because ur competing against eachother for something you both really want. She is applying for st george too.. so i really hope we can both get in, if she gets in instead of me i will be happy for her but ill also be crushed cos ive wanted to go there longer than her and ive wanted to move from our school way before she did. i just hope we both get in somewhere..
ohh ok. I can keep on top of my work if i dont procrastinate. im sure ill manage.
yeah i think this is my final list:
1. St George Girls
2. Sydney Girls
3. Hurlstone Ag.
4. Tempe (maybe)..does tempe still keep the selective and non selective stream of their school separate in years 11 and 12? because Sefton doesnt and theyre partially selective....ill only apply for Tempe if they keep the selective and non selective streams separate otherwise that kind of defeats the purpose of me going there. oh same question goes for macquarie fields...are you absolutely sure that they combine the streams for those 2 schools? because i though Macquarie Fields made u sit a test to get in..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)