Selective School Entry 2022 (1 Viewer)

wzsmartypants

HSC
yeah it’s quite difficult to prep for. it’s just a measure of your iq really, the qs will be extremely unexpected so preparing for them will be difficult.
yeah i reckon that way its better

kkk579

hello
HSC
id say don’t go overboard with the hast and focus only on it. not saying you should completely ignore it but it shouldn’t be ur first priority, u should focus on ur report first. it doesn’t guarantee you’ll do well at it and there could be other ppl who do better. if u don’t do well in it you’ll probs end up regretting the amount of time u focused on it.

Clueless0182

HSC
Hey. Yup i ended up only applying to girra and penrith and i got into girra so yeah.

Clueless0182

HSC
damn do u have any tips?
Well i can't really give any advice on the HAST since i didn't have to write it (it got cancelled cuz of Covid)
However if ur looking at girra specifically i do know that they value extracurriculars a lot.
Just to give you a scale, my extracurriculars were debating, duke of ed, some ICAS awards (all credit or merit tho), Tech girls comp, Some volunteering certificates and the rest were just things i did around the school such as peer support, peer tutor, school awards (bronze, silver etc), Academic awards (I ended up attaching some awards from year 8 so think that's ok too).
Now i know this is not a lot, but i did end up starting some stuff only in year 10 after deciding on applying to girra so its not too late to pick up something new.
Now obvs reports are really important to so if you think you didnt perform as well as you could last year, try putting in a whole lot more effort this semester as you will also be attaching that report as well.
i also wrote a 2-page essay kinda thing where i talked about who i am, what i want to do in the future, my hobbies and interests, my achievements and why i want to get into girra (or whatever school ur applying for). I think this really helped as it gave the selecting committee a full idea of who i am.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
Well i can't really give any advice on the HAST since i didn't have to write it (it got cancelled cuz of Covid)
However if ur looking at girra specifically i do know that they value extracurriculars a lot.
Just to give you a scale, my extracurriculars were debating, duke of ed, some ICAS awards (all credit or merit tho), Tech girls comp, Some volunteering certificates and the rest were just things i did around the school such as peer support, peer tutor, school awards (bronze, silver etc), Academic awards (I ended up attaching some awards from year 8 so think that's ok too).
Now i know this is not a lot, but i did end up starting some stuff only in year 10 after deciding on applying to girra so its not too late to pick up something new.
Now obvs reports are really important to so if you think you didnt perform as well as you could last year, try putting in a whole lot more effort this semester as you will also be attaching that report as well.
i also wrote a 2-page essay kinda thing where i talked about who i am, what i want to do in the future, my hobbies and interests, my achievements and why i want to get into girra (or whatever school ur applying for). I think this really helped as it gave the selecting committee a full idea of who i am.

damn for icas i got a distinction for math but i got credit for english and science, should I still include english and science in my application or is it not worth it?

Clueless0182

HSC
damn for icas i got a distinction for math but i got credit for english and science, should I still include english and science in my application or is it not worth it?
I think that you should as it is definitely worth it. At least it shows that you participated and credit is still good.

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
Can you actually give some advice with my report(this is yr 8 sem 2)
I got a total of 4 a's and 5 b's
The A's were for math science, english and pe while the rest were for the other subjects, but for english i just barely got an A, there were 4 key areas, 2 i got b and 2 i got a and luckily i just managed to get an A
This time im trying to get as many A's as possible

Clueless0182

HSC
Can you actually give some advice with my report(this is yr 8 sem 2)
I got a total of 4 a's and 5 b's
The A's were for math science, english and pe while the rest were for the other subjects, but for english i just barely got an A, there were 4 key areas, 2 i got b and 2 i got a and luckily i just managed to get an A
This time im trying to get as many A's as possible
Your report is alright but i would definitely recommend putting in a lot of work this semester as you should be aiming for a majority of A's.

wzsmartypants

HSC

Yo just wondering since im applying for yr 11 soon, should I write an essay kinda thing talking about who I am or would it be unnecessary since schools may find it excessive and then im screwed e.g. hurlstone wants no more than 10 pages of proof of extracurriculars

Clueless0182

HSC
Yo just wondering since im applying for yr 11 soon, should I write an essay kinda thing talking about who I am or would it be unnecessary since schools may find it excessive and then im screwed e.g. hurlstone wants no more than 10 pages of proof of extracurriculars
That actually depends on the amount of certificates u have. If u think all 10 of urs r rlly important then go ahead and use only them but if ur like me and don't have proof for a lot of the extracurriculars u do i would definitely recommend having a piece of writing about you along with ur certificates.
Basically u would have to prioritise which is important.
Also is this 10 pages digitally or do you have to physically hand ur application in?

wzsmartypants

HSC
That actually depends on the amount of certificates u have. If u think all 10 of urs r rlly important then go ahead and use only them but if ur like me and don't have proof for a lot of the extracurriculars u do i would definitely recommend having a piece of writing about you along with ur certificates.
Basically u would have to prioritise which is important.
Also is this 10 pages digitally or do you have to physically hand ur application in?
I just combined my certificates onto the pages lmao
how did u prove peer support and stuff like ones with no certificates? did u just mention them in ur essay? thx

Clueless0182

HSC
I just combined my certificates onto the pages lmao
how did u prove peer support and stuff like ones with no certificates? did u just mention them in ur essay? thx
Yeah i mean i did not have any proof which is why in my essay i not only mentioned peer support, but i also talked a bit about it explaining what i did as a leader, what i learnt etc.

bluesky08

HSC
Hey I got accepted into penrith and baulko last yr, reserve for Girra and if you have any questions feel free to pm me. If youre going to apply for a school that has HAST as a requirement you will have to sit it no matter what preference you put the school in. Your grades are decent and you might as well apply for all 3 as Girra/Penrith shares results meaning you just have to sit HAST at one school. To give you an idea of how my application was like, I did 3 clubs/societies including SRC and SRC, duke and debating are definitely really good. However you should try to join a few more if your school offers more. When it came to awards/grades i had a few distinctions in AMC and ICAS and other comps, top10% math Olympiad, Tournament of mind winner/merit ,zone sport award, rank 1 in 4 courses, dux, scholarship award, all A report with 1 B. In short you definitely have a chance and none of the schools are out of reach even tho baulko may be tougher as theyre based off supporting docs only. Try to get all A's for semester 1 and get involved with more extracurricular your school offers/ or volunteer in the community . Buy the ACER scholarship and HAST sample paper and try them out, do loads of reading comprehension/abstract reasoning /numerical reasoning questions, practice writing argumentative, expository, persuasive, creative, discursive essays under time limit and you should be well prepared for HAST (well thats what i did and it helped a lot). I also have a lot of resources/textbooks i used to practice for HAST, pm me if you want them.

Regarding the phs website question, It just means you sit HAST at your first preference HAST school, e.g you put Baulko at preference 1, penrith 2, girra 3, you will be sitting HAST at Penrith but the test results will be shared with Girra at the same time

Hope this helped, good luck!:)
Hey, would you mind sharing with me the resources too? Thanks

Aanyav

HSC
Hey I got accepted into penrith and baulko last yr, reserve for Girra and if you have any questions feel free to pm me. If youre going to apply for a school that has HAST as a requirement you will have to sit it no matter what preference you put the school in. Your grades are decent and you might as well apply for all 3 as Girra/Penrith shares results meaning you just have to sit HAST at one school. To give you an idea of how my application was like, I did 3 clubs/societies including SRC and SRC, duke and debating are definitely really good. However you should try to join a few more if your school offers more. When it came to awards/grades i had a few distinctions in AMC and ICAS and other comps, top10% math Olympiad, Tournament of mind winner/merit ,zone sport award, rank 1 in 4 courses, dux, scholarship award, all A report with 1 B. In short you definitely have a chance and none of the schools are out of reach even tho baulko may be tougher as theyre based off supporting docs only. Try to get all A's for semester 1 and get involved with more extracurricular your school offers/ or volunteer in the community . Buy the ACER scholarship and HAST sample paper and try them out, do loads of reading comprehension/abstract reasoning /numerical reasoning questions, practice writing argumentative, expository, persuasive, creative, discursive essays under time limit and you should be well prepared for HAST (well thats what i did and it helped a lot). I also have a lot of resources/textbooks i used to practice for HAST, pm me if you want them.

Regarding the phs website question, It just means you sit HAST at your first preference HAST school, e.g you put Baulko at preference 1, penrith 2, girra 3, you will be sitting HAST at Penrith but the test results will be shared with Girra at the same time

please send urs to me pleasee

eskypole

HSC

could you send it to me uwu thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)