Selective school scaling (1 Viewer)

krus

HSC
Ive tried Sam and another program but it doesnt take into account being at a selective school. someone told me this generally means i can expect to get an extra 2 or 3 points. im doing pretty well in a really competitive environment and i need to know what kind of an increase i can expect. i know noone can tell me for sure but i was hoping for a ballpark figure.

helper

HSC
N/A
That is from your performance and nothing to do with scaling, so isn't part of SAM. You do not obtain bonus points just for going to a school.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
was the other program you tried JUAIseek? :)

yeah, you don't "automatically" get better marks for going to selective school.

HOWEVER, when using these UAI estimaters, generally, due to higher competition, your tests will be marked harder and your ranks will be higher in the state.

ie. a person coming first in 4U maths at james ruse, compared to a person comming first in 4U maths in a govenment school will have a higher rank in the state.

This can change the way you use a UAI estimater. That is, say you got 90 in 4U maths test at James ruse and came first. you prolly should enter 98 or 99 for HSC aligned mark. But for a govenment school 90 in 4U maths is problably gonna be 90ish Aligned mark.

This is all up to personal interpretation. I was considering an automatic method of doing this. However, there just isn't enough data between different school out there escpecially after the "class, we failed" news article, lol.

Don't hesitate to ask for help.

stainmepink

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
was the other program you tried JUAIseek? :)

yeah, you don't "automatically" get better marks for going to selective school.

HOWEVER, when using these UAI estimaters, generally, due to higher competition, your tests will be marked harder and your ranks will be higher in the state.

ie. a person coming first in 4U maths at james ruse, compared to a person comming first in 4U maths in a govenment school will have a higher rank in the state.

This can change the way you use a UAI estimater. That is, say you got 90 in 4U maths test at James ruse and came first. you prolly should enter 98 or 99 for HSC aligned mark. But for a govenment school 90 in 4U maths is problably gonna be 90ish Aligned mark.

This is all up to personal interpretation. I was considering an automatic method of doing this. However, there just isn't enough data between different school out there escpecially after the "class, we failed" news article, lol.

Don't hesitate to ask for help.

Well, if all else fails, you know you are still going to try your hardest, regardless of whetehr you know your predicted UAI.

A l

HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:

Not necessarily, it all depends on the school's performance in the external examinations. It is a generalisation, and it usually applies for the majority of schools. However, every year there is the occasional possibility of a top student or top students in an ordinary public school excelling over the selective schools. For example, in 2003, the top student in Mathematics, Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 did not come from selective schools.
The equal top students in Mathematics 2 unit in 2003 were from Sydney Girls High School and St Pius X College
The top student in Mathematics Extension 1 in 2003 was from Taylors College
The top student in Mathematics Extension 2 in 2003 was from St Ignatius' College (now taken over by a student from James Ruse Agricultural High School in 2004)

A l

HSC
N/A
krus said:
Ive tried Sam and another program but it doesnt take into account being at a selective school. someone told me this generally means i can expect to get an extra 2 or 3 points. im doing pretty well in a really competitive environment and i need to know what kind of an increase i can expect. i know noone can tell me for sure but i was hoping for a ballpark figure.
Having bonus points for just being a selective student is a common myth regarding the HSC and UAI. I can tell you that it depends solely on your individual performance. Remember, you are in competition with the entire state. Selective schools often have a better cohort than most other schools due to their STUDENT PERFORMANCE and hence the state ranking of students is often higher meaning that the average UAI would often be higher than that of an ordinary public school. No school is advantaged or disadvantaged when it comes to calculation of HSC marks and the UAI.

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
A l said:
Not necessarily, it all depends on the school's performance in the external examinations. It is a generalisation, and it usually applies for the majority of schools. However, every year there is the occasional possibility of a top student or top students in an ordinary public school excelling over the selective schools. For example, in 2003, the top student in Mathematics, Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 did not come from selective schools.
The equal top students in Mathematics 2 unit in 2003 were from Sydney Girls High School and St Pius X College
The top student in Mathematics Extension 2 in 2003 was from St Ignatius' College (now taken over by a student from James Ruse Agricultural High School in 2004)
yeah, but you have to generalise in this case.... or else how can you describe it?

A l

HSC
N/A
I would think with that students who are at the very top in the state in an ordinary public school, the distribution of marks would be very scattered with a large range and standard deviation. I got to a school where the distribution of our marks is often a double bell curve. You would have the extremes of both ends (failures and aces) and the standard deviation was often more than 10%. (One class had a standard deviation over 30%!)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
A l said:
I would think with that students who are at the very top in the state in an ordinary public school, the distribution of marks would be very scattered with a large range and standard deviation. I got to a school where the distribution of our marks is often a double bell curve. You would have the extremes of both ends (failures and aces) and the standard deviation was often more than 10%. (One class had a standard deviation over 30%!)
so your saying in general the top students in ordinary public school are very competitive compared to the rest of the state?

hmm... interesting. But you will need some statistics to back it up.

Since schools are ranked by the number of band 6's achieved and most general public schools get 0-a few band 6's, which gives me the impression that the top students aren't usually gonna get 99+ UAI.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It's impossible to make these sorts of generalisations - the calibre of students varies far too much between different schools and across different years within those schools.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Lazarus said:
It's impossible to make these sorts of generalisations - the calibre of students varies far too much between different schools and across different years within those schools.
I dunno... I think there would be few outliers.

grr, why can't all statistics be made freely avaliable.

lol, 3AM

Raginsheep

HSC
I was under the impression that your moderated school assestment mark was largely dependent on the performance of the other students at your school.

If this is correct, wouldn't going to a "better" school be more of an advantage?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Raginsheep said:
If this is correct, wouldn't going to a "better" school be more of an advantage?
Thank god that is not necessarily true...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
A l said:
For example, in 2003, the top student in Mathematics, Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 did not come from selective schools.
as with 2003 HSC English Extension 2 - top student was from my school - Riverside Girls High School. As with the 3rd top student. Public school.

A l

HSC
N/A
Raginsheep said:
I was under the impression that your moderated school assestment mark was largely dependent on the performance of the other students at your school.
Yes, that is true. However, moderated school assessment marks depend on the performance of other students in the same school at the EXTERNAL EXAM. Think about it, if you're in a high rank in a "better" school, then theoretically you are pretty high ranked in the state and you can show it in you exam. The same goes for normal schools.
Raginsheep said:
No. If you go to a "better" school, you are not at an advantage in terms of marks. Your rank in the state would still be the same. If you are in a low rank in a "better" school, then you would show it in your external exam. The moderating process gets rid of any direct advantages and disadvantages in individual schools because the external exam can place students in a statewide rank.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
krus said:
Our school told us not to try to use these things but from what I've seen... our school averages (in in-school exams) is between 75 ad 85, but then our school's average UAI is in the 97.5-98.5 range... So, it's hard to calculate but if you are above average in all your subjects, then you *should* (take this with a pinch of salt) be above the school's average and median UAI.... assuming your grade goes as well as last year's grade.

MaryJ_

HSC
Since scaling is a complete pain in the butt, I guess all we can do is slave away under a pile of notes and hope for the best :)

P

pLuvia

MaryJ_ said:
Since scaling is a complete pain in the butt, I guess all we can do is slave away under a pile of notes and hope for the best :)
It's so imbalanced how selective schools are scaled higher, i mean they already get taught advanced material, and are much more advantaged than us lower beings, why should they get scaled any higher, this system is imbalanced

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
kadlil said:
It's so imbalanced how selective schools are scaled higher, i mean they already get taught advanced material, and are much more advantaged than us lower beings, why should they get scaled any higher, this system is imbalanced
Selective schools aren"t scaled any differently.

P

pLuvia

but like how come, one of the people said that a 90 mark for selective is 96 etc..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)