Selective School year 6 test NSW (1 Viewer)

peterrabbit

HSC
How many students finish the selective test?

Eg. GA has 60 questions in 40 mins (NSW) I think.

Are these all generally completed by students that get into selective or are the test made long to allow a well stratified curve.

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section

Accurate

clix
HSC

Are these all generally completed by students that get into selective or are the test made long to allow a well stratified curve.

Usually for students that go to the top ranking selective schools, (Fort Street, Sydney Boys, Baulkham Hills, James Ruse) would have completed them and got a decent mark for it. Decent as in 40+ out of 60.

peterrabbit

HSC
Usually for students that go to the top ranking selective schools, (Fort Street, Sydney Boys, Baulkham Hills, James Ruse) would have completed them and got a decent mark for it. Decent as in 40+ out of 60.
Thanks thats pretty tough to do!!!! to complete all of them, 40 seconds a question. Some questions seem very quick but some seem long, do they employ strategies like just skip the long wordy one?

idkkdi

HSC

At the 240+ range, no one is really worried about finishing tests. The amount of tutoring/natural talent is already quite high at that point. At the 250+ range you should be looking at getting 50+ in GA. More practice = faster speed.

Last edited:

peterrabbit

HSC
At the 240+ range, no one is really worried about finishing tests. The amount of tutoring/natural talent is already quite high at that point. At the 250+ range you should be looking at getting 50+ in GA. More practice = faster speed.
sorry for my ignorance but how is the 240 made up eg what is the total possible score and how is is composed?

idkkdi

HSC
sorry for my ignorance but how is the 240 made up eg what is the total possible score and how is is composed?
Not exactly sure of the current format. Basically 240/300 = 80%, so you would average about 80% throughout all the tests and the school assigned marks combined.

Accurate

clix
HSC
The selective test is out of 300.

200 Exam Marks
100 School Marks

A person who gets 240 typically gets 90/100 school marks plus another 150/200 marks for the exam, this can vary obviously and can come in all sorts of exam and school marks combinations.

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
For reference, I got around 250 and didn't finish any of the exams :) From memory I had 8-10 questions left for GA and I was sooo worried about it

Although this was like 9 years ago (what the heck) so who knows how it is now

dotwingz

HSC
I got like ~240 when I sat it in 2013 and I dont remember finishing it. But I had a fairly high accuracy from years of Kumon at that point

ultra908

HSC
i got like 250+, im pretty sure i finished it... but i never went to tutoring and stuff so idk about my accuracy.
But i remember for OC i didnt finish loadddds of GA and i still got a good score.

Salad Man

HSC
Uni Grad
I threw up in my test. I couldnt even resit it ;-; and it wasnt even because of nerves.Prior to the english paper we had a break and I ate some dodgy spaghetti that tasted bitter as.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)