• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

selective school (1 Viewer)

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
brilliance** said:

what's the point struggling to come average in a prestigious school, and then grabbing a uai of like.... say, 96
when you could have just stayed in your old school and studied hard by yourself, and come first... then grabbing a uai of 99+??
Umm.

Is it me or does that not actually make any sense?

If you struggle in a prestigious school then that means that that school has high standards for work and assesment tasks which means that come HSC, the whole group will do well and a lower ranking wont hurt you as much. Also, the struggling competitive nature will also bolster your marks as you try harder.

Coming first assesment-wise at a bad school isnt going to help you at all if most of the grade do badly in the HSC compared to other schools.

There's no doubt that its easier to 'fall in the flow' of your classmates.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
fly.away.fairy said:
Hey!

My familys moving to west sydney(because of work)... well be living around cambletown..that area..:eek:

I go to Manly selective now...does anyone now if it would be hard to transfer to Hurlstone? Does anyone go there? Whats the schools rank? Would it be very hard to transfer mid- year 11?
Please!!! Really confused and worried!!!!:confused:
Ive also never been to that part of sydney before? How is it? Any info would be GREAT!!!

Thanx!!!

P.s - GO manly high students!!! :)
I used to live in West Sydney until Yr4 and most of my relatives still live there. I can't really help you about changing schools but if you're worried about the negative reputaion that west Sydney has, don't worry. It's not as bad as some people say.

P.S I go to manly selective as well and we seem to be in the same year so do I know you?

A l

HSC
N/A
Vagabond said:
Coming first assesment-wise at a bad school isnt going to help you at all if most of the grade do badly in the HSC compared to other schools.
You are incorrect in making that assumption. Coming first in a poor school candidature can actually do favours for you, especially if you are well ahead of the rest. First of all, you can decide how high you want to go in an assessment task. It doesn't matter how low or high a mark you get, as long as its still 1st rank. When it comes to your final exams you can distance yourself as far as you like from the rest of the candidature. So whatever you get in the external exam will the same as your assessment mark if you remain on top. Coming first in the grade means your marks are not influenced by the lopsided rankings of everyone else, whereas doing average in a stronger candidature puts you at risk of falling behind into the lower ranks and you may get a noticeable difference between your exam and assessment mark.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
~shinigami~ said:
Damn! Does that mean I made a mistake when I moved to a selective school?
Just try the best you can - then you won't have any regrets or anything like, 'oh, I wonder what if I had gone to a selective instead?' :p And hey, you never know, you might even surprise yourself in a selective :)

Pubert

HSC
I don't understand how being sorrounded by hard working and usually intelligent people cannot be an advantage over going to a non-selective school. Its extremely competitive in selective schools which makes everyone push harder in their work.

brilliance**

just a member.
HSC
N/A
Pubert said:
I don't understand how being sorrounded by hard working and usually intelligent people cannot be an advantage over going to a non-selective school. Its extremely competitive in selective schools which makes everyone push harder in their work.

you're right...
competition can be an advantage because it pushes you to try harder;; but it doesn't mean that it's going to act as a form of motivational therapy. In fact, all it does is put you under stress, and create more "enemies" for you in the end. Not only that, it can also be extremely discouraging when you continuously "get beaten" by other students
but ho~// if that's what suits the individual....:D
i mean, I wouldn't want to compete against people. Of course, I'd want to do better... but why try to put other people down just because they work harder than you and reap better marks? it's just not right!

7th Sign

HSC
Mate give it up, Did you even make it onto a selective waiting list?

I was one some B list for a selective school and I am not even that great at school.

My sis is in year 10 at a selective school and the kids these are pretty sus.

My advice is just go to your local high school do you best and get into uni mate.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
brilliance** said:
Not only that, it can also be extremely discouraging when you continuously "get beaten" by other students
Who says I get beaten all the time? :p

Pubert

HSC
Selective schools don't guarantee you high marks.

But they are a really good advantage and they set a high standard. The advantages far outway the disadvantages.

Bookie, i don't think how shit "your local high school" can get, some schools don't even get anyone getting a band 6. It impacts on your learning dramatically.

Im not saying that going to a selective school means you are going to get high marks and that by going to a normal school you can't get high marks.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
I go to a selective school (dnt get me wrong, i wouldnt go to any other school) and i come in various places in various subjects, but i just wonder what would happen had i gone to a lowstandard slective or a high standard public.

c0okies

HSC
Bookie said:
I go to a selective school (dnt get me wrong, i wouldnt go to any other school) and i come in various places in various subjects, but i just wonder what would happen had i gone to a lowstandard slective or a high standard public.
same thing if you work hard.

c0okies

HSC
yea; but then you might have a little bit of a disadvantage because you dont have the gist of what extreme competition is and peer pressure could make you dumb down a bit

but in the end it comes down to how hard you work; there are people out there who go to comphrehensive schools and get 100 uai

Last edited:

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I agree. Whichever school you go to, it actually depends on yourself. If you go to the best school with the best teachers and everything, but you don't bother studying and just pay no attention then you might as well be attending a school that doesn't have qualified teachers and everything that's just as bad.

If you go to the worst school but you actually go tutoring and self study and everything, then it equals to attending the best school.

In summary, it's you and how much effort you put in that counts - not what school you go to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)