Selective Schools Test 2017? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hello everyone! I just found out about this community and is excited to post my first thread.
As you may be aware (Title suggests this), I am trying out for selective school for year 11, 2017. However, I do have a few questions (concerns) I need help/clarity with.
The schools I'm trying out for are as follows:
1. Ruse
2.North Sydney Boys
3.Baulko

So for my most recent (year 10 half yearly) report, I received 6 A's(History, Geography, Maths accelerated, Science, Japanese continuers) and 2 B's (English,PDHPE). This was worse than my year 9 yearly as I received A's in all of my report except for PDHPE.

As for NAPLAN, I received all triangle except writing which I got a band 8 :(. For extra-cirricular activities, I got a distinction in AMC (year8), ICAS distinction (year 9), USYD gifted and talented science program, Duke of edinburgh Bronze, chess club, grade sport and Dux for my year last year).

My concern is: Are these sufficient enough? If I do well in the entrance exams would it cover for my bad grades in english? I am really anxious right now because I feel as if I am not going to make it into those schools.

Any supporting comments would be appreciated

Thanks

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Considering you are doing accelerated maths, it's best to try out for a selective school with accelerated maths (i.e. Sydney boys or Fort street)

It might be sufficient enough

ch2831

HSC
Hi,
I'm from ruse. The entrance exam (+interview) is what determines pretty much whether you make it or not. In years 7-10 theyre pretty serious about the report stuff but year 11 not so much- and having a subject that distinguishes you will help (ie is there anything youre particularly good at?)
But yeah the newbies that we get don't all have spectacular results so don't fret :) any issues PM me

ch2831

HSC
Oh and ruse doesnt offer accelerated maths or anything just so that you're aware.

HSC
Hi,
I'm from ruse. The entrance exam (+interview) is what determines pretty much whether you make it or not. In years 7-10 theyre pretty serious about the report stuff but year 11 not so much- and having a subject that distinguishes you will help (ie is there anything youre particularly good at?)
But yeah the newbies that we get don't all have spectacular results so don't fret :) any issues PM me
Hi could you please elaborate on how long each tests are especially writing and talk about what interview questions you might be expected with :)

HSC
N/A
I did the test last year, there were 6 sections: numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning (these 2 are the most important ones), mathematics, comprehension/reading, creative writing and analytical writing.

All these sections are 30 minutes each with the exception of creative writing and analytical writing which you are given 15 minutes each. You will be given a stimulus (or topic for analytical) before the section starts and have a 2 minute (i think?) reading time before you start writing. Expect to write 1-2 pages.

Interview questions are pretty straight forward, questions e.g. what can you offer to contribute to the spirit of ruse etc. tbh if you make it to the interview, the chances are you'll get in.

bunnykun

HSC
I did the test last year, there were 6 sections: numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning (these 2 are the most important ones), mathematics, comprehension/reading, creative writing and analytical writing.

All these sections are 30 minutes each with the exception of creative writing and analytical writing which you are given 15 minutes each. You will be given a stimulus (or topic for analytical) before the section starts and have a 2 minute (i think?) reading time before you start writing. Expect to write 1-2 pages.

Interview questions are pretty straight forward, questions e.g. what can you offer to contribute to the spirit of ruse etc. tbh if you make it to the interview, the chances are you'll get in.
Didn't they hold the interviews last year before seeing the exam results? I remember hearing that the P&C/whoever hasn't checked the exam results but has only flicked through the reports/extra-curricular and gave interviews based off that. So I think make sure your reports and extra curricular look really good and try to get through to the interview.

HSC
Didn't they hold the interviews last year before seeing the exam results? I remember hearing that the P&C/whoever hasn't checked the exam results but has only flicked through the reports/extra-curricular and gave interviews based off that. So I think make sure your reports and extra curricular look really good and try to get through to the interview.
Could you still be accepted even though you haven't had the interview but did really well in the tests?

HSC
N/A
Could you still be accepted even though you haven't had the interview but did really well in the tests?
yes

yeah i guess, but i think if you are capable of doing well in the exams, then your reports are probably great anyways as they reflect your ability.

coyazayo

HSC
yes

yeah i guess, but i think if you are capable of doing well in the exams, then your reports are probably great anyways as they reflect your ability.
Yeah but there are situations where individuals muck up in one of the school exams and hence get don't get the grading they want for their report :p
Additionally, some schools mark more lenient where others are more strict. I guess that could also affect your grading :p

bunnykun

HSC
Approximately how many people were present for the interview? I just want to know :p
present for interview? If it's your one you're only allowed to have one parent accompany you, and the only person interviewing you is the principal (Ms Connors). If you're referring to how many people are given interviews, I'm not sure but maybe around 30? When I went to mine there were 2 people waiting outside, and Ms Connors was interviewing someone inside. But 30 is a pretty wild guess, the interviews went for a good 20 minutes so I'm assuming she wouldn't have given majority of applicants the interview.

HSC
The test was overall quite easy, although I did feel quite constrained time-wise. 60 Questions in 30 minutes!!! That's quite insane lol. I finished majority of the questions tho :0 Also the creative writing time was only 15 minutes and they didn't even give us reading time for stimulus! I hope I did well :p

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
The test was overall quite easy, although I did feel quite constrained time-wise. 60 Questions in 30 minutes!!! That's quite insane lol. I finished majority of the questions tho :0 Also the creative writing time was only 15 minutes and they didn't even give us reading time! I hope I did well :p
Was this for ruse?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)