Selective schools? (1 Viewer)

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
In terms of the HSC, what would be better?

a) Staying in a "normal" school and getting a high rank even though it's obvious the other kids arn't that bright.

or

b) Going to a selective school and having your rank drop to around "average"?

I keep getting told that your ranks are extremely important, but just the idea of being at a selective school is quite depressing. Will there be any consideration of this when they determine your UAI? I'm not liking my chances.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
both are equally as good.... the system is fair

it is just that if you go to a selective school the atmosphere may cause you to try harder and get better marks. However, assuming your preformance is the same, the school you go to makes no diff.

in addition selective schools get better teachers

Last edited:

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890

This isn't totally true. I know we get some pretty shoddy teachers for our HSC. Our english teacher had an early retirement so we have a "permanent" substitute. His notes consist of photocopied study guides from the net and we are now behind all the other classes. Btw, it also took him 2 months to give us our marks back for our speeches and listening task. He had to "record the marks down".

fruitbonbon17

Originally posted by jm1234567890

lol... so not true... what makes you think that selective skools would get better teachers? in actual fact, they often get the sh*t teachers cos selective kids r sposed 2b independent & smart enough to cope

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Selective schools would also in theory have a better safety net in case you fail as the relative difference between you and the next person is likely to be smaller.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Non selective schools tend to have worse teachers as when the teachers get more experience and have more leverage they tend to want to transfer to a different school with less problematic kids... hence large amount of old teachers retiring in Private/Selective schools.

Our Mathematics and English teachers are generally old. Which means they are generally more experienced and hence better. Or should be.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by mack
I go to a selective school and our teachers are shitter than shit.
seriously.... picking out specific examples isn't going to help your argument. I know i meant "in general"

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
In most cases in the end you'd have to mostly rely on yourself anyway. If you were unlucky to have a bad teacher it's not over your HSC.

Self study is much more important.

mack

Banned
HSC
No, I go to a very able school. Last year our school got over 250 band 6s. The teachers are lazy and unhelpful, and they know the kids will work hard because they want to do well, so theres no need to teach really. Most of them are old and have been there before the school became selective, and they wont leave because teaching smart kids who rarely misbehave must be a breeze.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by tofu
It is extremely ignorant to think that selective schools attain better teachers....
why do you say that?

If you were a teacher woudn't you rather go to a selective school?

mack

Banned
HSC
If anything they send inexperienced teachers to selective schools because theres rarely behaviour problems and students practically teach themselves. If i was a teacher id definitely go there, no matter how good i was.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
teachers in the public school system dont actually have that much say when it comes to which school to teach at. they get transferred to various public schoools. selective or non selective, theyre both government schools. we have the same chances of getting good teachers as the regular schools.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Experienced teachers are more common in selective schools... fact.

In general more experience= better.

It follows that in general selective school teachers are better.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Estel
Experienced teachers are more common in selective schools... fact.
wheres this fact from?

kpq_sniper017

pcx's input:

who gives a crap who has the better teachers??

the school u or ur parents chose for u is the school ur in, so get on with it.
if ur teacher's crap....teach yourself.
if ur teacher's good....then good luck to you.

a couple of other things:
neither selective schools, or private schools receive better teachers. each will have its share of crap teachers and good teachers. besides, no matter how good ur teachers are....if you don't put in the work, then u'll get nowhere. teachers are a support service who are there to help, NOT to do the work for you.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I would never attend a selective school despite all my teachers telling me i should go. My private non selective school is fun and i love the take it easy atmosphere we have. Wouldnt trade it for the world. And for the teacher debate, we have excellent teachers, most mark HSC and write or supervise the CSSA trial and work on the HSC advice line

nesstar

Komaticom said:
because they're mostly Asian, no offence
I really get annoyed when people make offensive statements followed by "no offence". I have nothing against asians (I am in fact the only non-asian in my group at a selective school) and I do recognise that a lot of selective schools have a large population of Asian students, however I don't believe this is necessarily the reason why teachers don't struggle with their students. Generally selective school students WANT to learn and classes are therefore a more pleasant and less disruptive learning environment.

However I do agree that some selective school teachers do get lazy because they assume we can do everything for ourselves...and u feel like screaming "Teach us - It's your job!"

tina_goes_doo said:
Our english teacher had an early retirement so we have a "permanent" substitute. His notes consist of photocopied study guides from the net and we are now behind all the other classes.
We had a similar situation with our English teachers. Being a 2unit class, you would think they would give us better teachers to prevent us from struggling and pulling down the entire grade, but instead, we had an inexperienced casual for all of year 11, then a really old supposedly experienced teacher who didn't actually care about us because she retired after term 1 (and she wasn't good anyway) and now we have a hopeless tecaher who's never taught HSC before.

I think being in a selective school doesn't prevent u from bad teachers. Whatever the school u have to take the good with the bad in all aspects of school life. I wouldn't change being in a selective school for anything because i know im doing better than i would have in a private or comprehensive school, and the fact that ive had to put up with shocking teachers and a construction site this year that i will not get to benefit from is something I have to deal with as a consequence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)