Self-Made Notes or Pre-Made Notes? (1 Viewer)

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
Which type of notes should I use/gravitate towards? I'm already planning on using other ppl's notes/tutoring-made notes for science and math related subjects, then adding important formulas or adding onto those notes...

but for English and Economics, do you guys make your own notes progressively throughout the year or just use someone else's are practice on questions, essays, etc. whilst adding on extra information.

Thank you!

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Honestly I just use pre-made notes for subjects that are too content intensive such as Economics or Business Studies; the benefits you gain from doing study notes for such subjects for me personally don't outweigh the benefits of using that time of doing notes for conceptually learning or studying another subject. Works just as fine imo. I've focused more on doing eco exam questions rather than notes and I've became more confident in the subject overall.

I still make my own handwritten notes for physics and maths even though they are plethora of resources, (and it might be arguably better just using other people's notes) because for physics I want the notes to be tailored to my preference, so certain content that I cbf remembering or ingraining in my head just goes on there. I don't make it extremely pretty but I make sure to add a lot of diagrams so its good to read.

I haven't done study notes for English, same as for economics, much rather focusing on getting good at essays and analysis portion rather than synthesising when there's stuff like sparknotes lying around everywhere.

icycledough

HSC
I can't comment on Eco, but I can comment on English.

English is very different from the sciences and maths in the fact that there are many different ways to go about it. That makes maths and science better in that sense (for some people), as there is only 1 way to go about it. So everyone's notes would tend to be similar (whether it's formulas or notes).

English, though, is subjective from different people's perspectives, so it'd be better to probably write your own notes, as they would make the most sense to you. With essays as well, keep in mind that the vocabulary other people use may not be natural to you, so it may sound forced if you try to emulate other people's lexicon. So I would stick to writing my own notes for English in that regard.

Hiheyhello

HSC
i remeber being in a similar position at the start of year 12 where i was worried that making my own notes would be a waste of time (i take both of those subjects btw).

i opted to make my own because none of the ones i found online appeared to be perfect or ‘gap free’.

for eco i used a combo of the textbook, the atar notes revision guide and notes that i found online. yes, you can get away with using other ppls notes for eco but i found that making the notes helped me grasp concepts in greater depth and i was able to format and organise them in a way that i understood the best + it allowed me to be picky and specific with stats and case studies (online ones are often outdated).

for english DEFINITELY make ur own 1000000%. using other ppls notes as a supplement and to fill gaps in ur own is fine, but there’s no way you can write a bomb essay just by using one set of notes, you need to collate a HEAP of resources so that ur essays stand out and are well informed. especially if ur preparing essays coz plagiarism.
also
with common mod, i found that i couldn’t find any online notes that had a table with every single technique that i thought was important thus i used a combo of resources + research to make my own table, which isn’t missing any techniques and works the best for me.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Premade all the way. Just make sure to use a variety of notes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)