Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2008) (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Re: Semester 1 Chatter Thread

Ennaybur said:
fucking.. i swear you just said mind.

but what i meant was happiness ...
No I didn't.

lol I'm doing Happiness next year.

Silly Ruby :eek:

HSC

Ennaybur said:
lol what is the queer stuff about?

hmm i think i'll do ethics next sem/year

is practical much like moral psych in yr opinioned guess?
Well the argument from queerness goes something like... We make obervations about the world through experience, for example we can see the sky is blue, smell, taste, touch and hear things. But when we judge something to be morally right or wrong, we don't rely on our senses to come to this conclusion, but through our intuition. Mackie just thinks that's queer. That's what my tutor said.

HSC

Ennaybur said:
lol what is the queer stuff about?

hmm i think i'll do ethics next sem/year

is practical much like moral psych in yr opinioned guess?
I don't do Practical Ethics either.

Funny girl. :eek:

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A

Iheartpaulfrank said:
Well the argument from queerness goes something like... We make obervations about the world through experience, for example we can see the sky is blue, smell, taste, touch and hear things. But when we judge something to be morally right or wrong, we don't rely on our senses to come to this conclusion, but through our intuition. Mackie just thinks that's queer. That's what my tutor said.
mmm... interesting

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A

6 Consider the inverted spectrum argument. How is it different from and similar to the Knowledge argument?
7 Explain and evaluate the Knowledge argument.
8 How does the issue of consciousness relate to qualia in your view? Is the problem of consciousness an extra problem on top of qualia?
9. Discuss the misrepresentation problem, and explain how at least two different approaches to it (learning period, asymmetric dependence, and teleological) deal with it. Do they work?
10 Critically evaluate the arguments for the Language of Thought and/or the Map Theory

11 Evaluate teleological (biological functional) theories of content. Explain the role of a biological theory of function is a teleological theory of content.

12 How do beliefs and desires explain if they do? What room would there be for psychological explanation if we ever have a complete nuerosceintific explanation of behaviour?

which question should i do?

edit: cept the last one. that's a bitch

HSC

Ennaybur said:
6 Consider the inverted spectrum argument. How is it different from and similar to the Knowledge argument?
7 Explain and evaluate the Knowledge argument.
8 How does the issue of consciousness relate to qualia in your view? Is the problem of consciousness an extra problem on top of qualia?
9. Discuss the misrepresentation problem, and explain how at least two different approaches to it (learning period, asymmetric dependence, and teleological) deal with it. Do they work?
10 Critically evaluate the arguments for the Language of Thought and/or the Map Theory

11 Evaluate teleological (biological functional) theories of content. Explain the role of a biological theory of function is a teleological theory of content.

12 How do beliefs and desires explain if they do? What room would there be for psychological explanation if we ever have a complete nuerosceintific explanation of behaviour?

which question should i do?
Well I don't know anything about them, but it's a toss-up between 8, 9 & 10.

The word qualia seems familiar. I read about it in DBM's book.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
almost as gross as ur hideous face!
:rofl:
put that freak in a cage!
irony.

one of the reasons you were bullied so much was because of your ugly face.

HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
almost as gross as ur hideous face!
:rofl:
put that freak in a cage!
But I'm liek heaps prettier than you... I know what you look like, and you have no clue what I look like. I think I win.

I believe most people would prefer to put YOU in a cage. Who's with me?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Iheartpaulfrank said:
But I'm liek heaps prettier than you... I know what you look like, and you have no clue what I look like. I think I win.

I believe most people would prefer to put YOU in a cage. Who's with me?
nono, i remember last year when you said you were walking alongside me. I recall a squat, insect like asian walking alongside me who was too scared to say "hi"

lol

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A

I'm interested in qualia/consiousness but i think it's a bit over my head until i've done a million (read:60) pages of reading.

map theory is simpler... but more boring. hmm

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

You're both so bitter and angry that neither of you have attractive internet personas.

HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
nono, i remember last year when you said you were walking alongside me. I recall a squat, insect like asian walking alongside me who was too scared to say "hi"

lol
Funny you never looked at me then. You must have confused me for someone else, foo'.

HSC

scarybunny said:
You're both so bitter and angry that neither of you have attractive internet personas.
Reality is more important.

Oh and lovestas :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)