• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Semester 2 (2005) Textbooks... (1 Viewer)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Ahem. Dazed, you sound really, really bitter. You will find that a majority of people doing such degrees (business, accounting, law) *do* enjoy it. I agree that those who do it just because and hate it are wasting their time, but there are people out there doing those degrees because they want to do it. Its like me saying that people only do arts, media and humanities because they dont know what to do with their lives, and so are wasting 3 years of their lives too (and I totally dont think that). Dont generalise. And its not guaranteed money- nothing in life is guaranteed except death.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
MaryJane said:
nothing in life is guaranteed except death.
...and taxes. :D (coming from a business+psych student who loves his course)

What course do you do, Dazed?

As MJ said, a lot of people who do the stated courses you've labelled as 'guaranteed money jobs' do enjoy them. Anyone who does ANY degree, in my opinion, because they feel they should, or want the money eventually, is totally wasting their time. Degrees are useless if you hate the subject/job, and don't use it, or do something else. Stereotypical example, in my experience, is the law student who's had daddy pay his/her way into law school, who then doesn't go on to practise law, but upholds the family name... but they seem to be in the absolute minority.

I just don't know that your impression (that "too many people are shit scared") is grounded in anything particularly solid.

In the end, we do go to uni because we need a job, eventually (daddy-law-studends excepted!). I do believe you should do something you enjoy, and avoid something just because it leads you down a path you don't think will support you (hey, you could become a lecturer... or a textbook author -- at the prices they're sold, you've gotta make some money, right?! ;)). However, that said, it's easy to lose your way in the clouds: it's a pragmatic choice to do something with your life, and if 'doing something' means a business degree (or similar), rather than being a 'professional student', then that's the way it goes.

Each to their own. I do think we need the non-gauranteed money courses and students... ie; Phil students: who was it that said; "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it." ?

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
haha ok yes that did come across bitter... and sometimes it is (note: the people who go on about money and how much they hate what they are doing etc etc etc) but i didnt intend it to come across in that way. I said "too many people" as in a lot... not all... as in "too many" because i think its something that shouldnt happen at all. I know most people choose those degrees because it IS what they want to do, besides the business and law and medical fields provide a shitload percentage of jobs in this world, but too many people do them just for the fuck of it. And i know a lot of people, now and through school who said that exact thing, they dont/didnt want to do humanties because they had the "where does that leave me" attitude. And its people who say "i want to do blah blah but i know i wont make it" and "i really enjoy blah blah but the field is too competitive".. that piss me off.
So yeah sorry its just something that hits a nerve

nessy_girl

HSC
I need books for:

aust100
educ106
educ261
engl286

I want to sell books for:

educ105
ahst100

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
yo..i am selling the ACST101 books and STAT170 book... make me an offer ;)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
ay_caramba said:
yo..i am selling the ACST101 books and STAT170 book... make me an offer ;)
oi i thought u were sellin 101 to me?! :p
ill still need ur notes tho :)

symo

HSC
SELLING

ISYS123 '05 edition
ACCG200 '05 edition
ECON111 '03 edition
ACCG105 '04 edition ~ possibly sold

WANTED

BBA216

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Stat170 book? As in, Modern Statistics: A Graphical Introduction? (ISBN: 1864084065).

It's the '03 edition, but I don't believe it's changed... Regardless, it was barely used, but useful occaisonally. Has a little bit of underlining from memory, but nothing too dramatic. Otherwise, is perfect.

PM me if you'd like it, yellowbrick (or anyone else)

*hopeful*

HSC
buy my : acst101
stat170
bba102
bba111
mktg101
busl250
books ppl

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
*bumpppp

sellin
acst101
bba103 + course readings
bba111
comp115\125
busl250

NEED
bba216
accg200
accg250

X

xeuyrawp

I have one thing to say:

Can some of you people learn how to say "actuarial", please? I won't target the specific group of people, lest I be strung up in the media as a racist, but let's get it right, people.

It's not "acturial", it's "actuarial": two, I repeat TWO As.

Repeat after me:

"actuARIAL"
"actuARIAL"
"tuARial"
"tuARial"
"ARIAL"
"ARIAL"
"actuarial."

Furthermore, there is no M in ECON. It's "ee-con", or "eh-con" not "ee-com". If you can't speak properly, please learn how to point. Also, don't fucking tell me to put the list up on the window. I KNOW it needs to go there. Do yout hink I'm an idiot?! Do I look like a jerk? The management, bless them, have decided in a very cerebral act that everyone will have to line up to look. Don't invite me to give you a list to stick up, if I could put one up, I would! You saying "you look busy, let me put one up" is a waste of my time, and I wouldn't trust you with a piece of paper and blue-tack, anyway! Anyone who hasn't figured out there's no M in ECON, and two As in actuarial does not have the mental capacity to stop themselves from injuring themselves with a piece of paper and blue-tack. God, I'd turn around, and you would have severed someone's head off with a massive paper cut, and would have fed some american the blue-tack, and then retort that "oh, I'm just an ecom student doing acturial studies".

*breaks down* I just wish you could say "actuarial"

Last edited by a moderator:

philly17

haha u just copy and pasted wat u said to me on msn 10 mins ago lol rob calm down

X

xeuyrawp

jasee said:
Bad day at the bookshop I take it? lol cheer up!
Yes. I need a hug.

Why won't they let me put a list up outside? I don't get it. I fucking hate it when managers say "Because", like they are the iron fist of god. How am I supposed to forward that to the lame assholes who say "you should have a list outside, that's really lame to all the students".

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
I have one thing to say:

Can some of you people learn how to say "actuarial", please? I won't target the specific group of people, lest I be strung up in the media as a racist, but let's get it right, people.

It's not "acturial", it's "actuarial": two, I repeat TWO As.

Repeat after me:

"actuARIAL"
"actuARIAL"
"tuARial"
"tuARial"
"ARIAL"
"ARIAL"
"actuarial."

Furthermore, there is no M in ECON. It's "ee-con", or "eh-con" not "ee-com". If you can't speak properly, please learn how to point. Also, don't fucking tell me to put the list up on the window. I KNOW it needs to go there. Do yout hink I'm an idiot?! Do I look like a jerk? The management, bless them, have decided in a very cerebral act that everyone will have to line up to look. Don't invite me to give you a list to stick up, if I could put one up, I would! You saying "you look busy, let me put one up" is a waste of my time, and I wouldn't trust you with a piece of paper and blue-tack, anyway! Anyone who hasn't figured out there's no M in ECON, and two As in actuarial does not have the mental capacity to top themselves from injuring themselves with a piece of paper and blue-tack. God, I'd turn around, and you would have severed someone's head off with a massive paper cut, and would have fed some american the blue-tack, and then retort that "oh, I'm just an ecom student doing acturial studies".

*breaks down* I just wish you could say "actuarial"
These "ecom students doing acturial studies" will either:
a) fail dismally at university;
b) be unemployed because "I have Ecom degree in Acturial studies" will not go down well with an employers; or
c) all of the above.

And if they do get a job before I do, I'll join the Fraser bandwagon. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)