Semester 2 Chatter Thread (2007) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Semester II Chatter Thread!

tennille! your no longer a mod!

HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
thanks mommy. i thought the office might be where that crappy noticeboard is in one of the front entrances, but apparently not. these are the maclaurin hall stairs you refer to, right? near the fabled shortcut i once spoke of?
Yes, the MacLaurin stairs. I, too was fooled by the philosophy noticeboards. So you're into philosophy? Nice. :)

HSC

Hey, it's me again. Having always been a procrastinator, it's never gotten me into trouble until now, I think. I have a psychology report on attentional capture due on Monday, and I've barely started. I'm screwed. Please comfort me during this hard time.

I've tried reading these academic journals and all that's going on my head is jargonJARGONjargon. :'(

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A

Iheartpaulfrank said:
Hey, it's me again. Having always been a procrastinator, it's never gotten me into trouble until now, I think. I have a psychology report on attentional capture due on Monday, and I've barely started. I'm screwed. Please comfort me during this hard time.

I've tried reading these academic journals and all that's going on my head is jargonJARGONjargon. :'(
same :(

HSC

You're doing Attentional Capture too? I reckon the others who are doing the Learning Experiment have got it good. Well better than me anyways.

My tute's on Monday *cries*

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Iheartpaulfrank said:
So you're into philosophy? Nice.
I want to be...next year...if I can transfer. I thought I better actually make sure it sounds interesting if I do it though, hence the brochure.

Malfoy said:
But why should that come at the expense of me, when I barely cover weekly medical expenses let alone have any room for luxuries (next week's doctors' bills alone come to over $500)? Why am I paying for people to receive dole money/single mother's pension/baby bonus?
Because, once more, the majority of people in your situation are in a better position than the people who are receiving welfare. It should be the responcibility of every citizen to make sure that all citizens are enjoying the best quality of life possible. Of course, from what I've heard, you're in a bit of an iffy situation given your disbaility and whatever (I assume that the doctors bills are because of that), hence why I said 'majority'. But in terms of education, healthcare and whatever, I really don't see why people who have a little extra to spend shouldn't give that money to the government to give every kid (and adult) an equal chance in life. Why should little Johnny whose parents can't afford private school be disqualified from having an education on the same level as little Lucy whose parents can afford to send their kid to Trinity College or whatever? Why should old Mary down the road lose all of her teeth because she can't pay for dental care, whereas old Bill up the road can pay for a Mercedes that has no real benefits for anyone? Do you see what I'm getting at?

And make no mistake, I hate the baby bonus as much as you, but we're not only talking about frivolous (and useless) welfare payments when we talk about welfare.

Iheartpaulfrank said:
Run to the library and borrow as many books on the matter as you can, find a tutorial room that's free and lock yourself in there with a laptop and don't stop until you're done!

Last edited:
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
I want to be...next year...if I can transfer. I thought I better actually make sure it sounds interesting if I do it though, hence the brochure.
If so, I highly recommend PHIL1011. 'Tis awesome, even Beauty grew on me after a while!

HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
Run to the library and borrow as many books on the matter as you can, find a tutorial room that's free and lock yourself in there with a laptop and don't stop until you're done!
I have all the journals I need. It's making sense of them, which I'm struggling with. And, not to mention the Science faculty seems to be extremely strict about plagiarism. *hyperventilates*

I don't go to uni on the weekends either. But thanks.

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A

Iheartpaulfrank said:
If so, I highly recommend PHIL1011. 'Tis awesome, even Beauty grew on me after a while!
the lecture on beauty was a bit meh imo, but I loved the discussions in tutes.

<3 david. YAY we have him soon1!!!!!!111ejnAVN

HSC

^ David Braddon-Mitchell, that is. NOT Macarthur. My favouritest lecturer ever. <3

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Isn't the reality, ethics and beauty unit like...compulsory or whatever?

I don't go to uni on the weekends either. But thanks.
Neither do I, but last semester I went in once to get an assignment done (although I went to the library, not to a tute room).

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

Iheartpaulfrank said:
I have all the journals I need. It's making sense of them, which I'm struggling with. And, not to mention the Science faculty seems to be extremely strict about plagiarism. *hyperventilates*
Most faculties are pretty strict on plagiarism. (Although last sem my tutor for GOVT mistakenly thought that I'd made up a source, which would have been pretty academically dishonest, and the only penalty he gave me before he realised his mistake was deducting a few marks. So maybe Economics and Business are more lax on that sort of thing.)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

lol. if that was for govt1101 then you were mention in the lecture.

dear jerks,

Christie plan

Sexy. I posted this a while ago in the UNSW thread, and I thought it'd be worthwhile to post it here.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
lol. if that was for govt1101 then you were mention in the lecture.
Was I? Awesome. If only I'd gone to the lectures for it, I would've been almost famous.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

I was mentioned too. :eek:

One day, Shelley was saying what people do at local branch meetings and she said that "someone in my tutorial goes to meetings and is quite disgruntled at the lack of relevant discussion that takes place, with far too much time dedicated to whinging about the school of chemistry at UNSW".

Then another time she said "someone in my tutorial this morning was reading a particular newspaper and noticed the lack of advertisments."

Both times, my friend who was sitting up the front (I sat up the backish so I could sleep and drink coffee) turned around and waved at me. It was pretty lollish.

You should have went to those lectures. Jerk!

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
You should have went to those lectures. Jerk!
:(

I had clashes in both hours, and I was more interested in history and ancient history lectures than in going over relatively simple material that would be available on Blackboard anyway.

Does anyone want to do my history essay for me? I haven't even started reading for it yet and I'm already bored.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Can't you both have his babies?

Malfoy said:
Agreed... but a) we'd never get it under the current government and b) realistically you'd need to do it as a public-private partnership like most of the major works that have gone on.
Which is sad. :(

They're kinda implementing it though. The North-west corridor is happening, the Chatswood-Homebushish type line is half done, they've started the Campbelltown express thing and have pretty much set down all the plans for the Bringelly line. The Herald had something about a new (private) line being put through the CBD from Ryde to UNSW. So things are kinda getting done...

Voucher system covers schooling, like I said. As for actual welfare payments, realistically no government is going to get rid of them so unless you're disabled or a war veteran I don't think you should be getting them long-term. If you're unemployed for reasons not to do with disability, you should get them short term because I refuse to believe anyone could not find a suitable job, say, within six months of unemployment. (Don't get me started on the single mother's pension, which I believe is ridiculously abused.)
Explain this voucher thing so I don't have to wander about trying to research it. As for welfare payments, I pretty much agree, and I don't think you'll find too many who'll disagree with what you're saying. I guess that in practise it gets a bit iffy though. Six months is a bit unrealistic, mind you, and I'm speaking from experience here. Take that up to a year, and I'd concede to that point.

HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
Can't you both have his babies?
Erm, no. I'm not that kind of person. I don't think I could handle it, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)