Semester 2 electives: MATH1004+1023, PSYC1002 or PHIL1002? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm in my first year of a B Arts/Adv Studies degree and was going to major in linguistics + hearing and speech. However, I dropped BIOS1163 (Speech Science) just before the census date because I couldn't motivate myself to study anatomy. Still doing CSCD1034 (Linguistics and Phonetics; also part of the hearing and speech major) though.

Anyway, I've decided to use next semester to explore potential new majors. I've considered majoring in a foreign language but I can't pick up a sem 2 unit without having done the sem 1 unit. Since I'm doing two linguistics units next sem (LNGS1002 and LNGS2601), I have another 12 credit points to spare. I'm considering doing two of the following:

- MATH1004 Discrete Mathematics + MATH1023 Multivariable Calculus and Modelling (3 cp each)
- PSYC1002 Psychology 1002
- PHIL1002 Introductory Logic

For those of you who have done these units, how were they in terms of workload/content etc? What would you recommend for someone who's horrible at essays (thankfully I haven't had to write any this semester)?

I got a band E3 in Maths Ext 1 last year – would that be enough to handle mainstream maths units or should I take fundamental units instead?

If it turns out that I'm not interested in pursuing majors in any of these fields, that'll be enough motivation for me to either go back to BIOS1163 or pick up a language next year.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
HSC
You can go on student vip and look at the reviews :))

MATH1004 - Different from High School maths I've heard, but it's interesting

PHIL1012* - Doing it in winter, heard it's very mathematical in terms of it's logical reasoning.

PS. Also there's a USYD subject review thread, might be a bit old but it'll have all of the units above besides MATH1023 because it's new :)
Thanks! Just noticed that typo :p

I'm suspecting that MATH1903 might be pretty similar to 1023 considering the name is only slightly different (Integral vs Multivariable)?

After reading the reviews, I'm leaning towards the maths subjects and PHIL1012 because the PSYC1002 report sounds like a pain.

KAIO7

HSC
N/A
Discrete mathematics is quite different than your regular high school mathematics (not necessarily difficult), so I recommend reading the course outline and maybe even read more about the topics covered.

Even with the other options, try actually reading about the material that you're going to study as well as the nature of the assessments.

If you for some reason are considering majoring in advanced mathematics, I do recommend doing some reading these upcoming holidays (dont over-do it) just to get you used to the rigorous and abstract nature of some of the maths units that you'll be doing.

And btw, in my opinion, mainstream maths units are usually easy, so it should give you a good idea of whether a maths major is something you should pursue or not.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)