Semester 2 Results (1 Viewer)

neeja

Marco Polo meows you!
HSC
gman03 said:
Let neeja1, neeja2 be a clone of neeja.

Suppose neeja is inferior to no-one.

Then neeja1 is inferior to no-one. so neeja1 is not inferior to neeja2.

BUT neeja2 is ALSO inferior to no-one. Which is a contradiction.

Hence neeja is inferior to himself.

j/k
that doesnt make any logical sense.

not inferior is like saying >=
inferior is like saying <

your conclusions are based on the assumption that not inferior is like saying > (cause 1 > 1 > 1 is a fallacy) :p

WHERES YOUR BASE CASE!!!!

I DEMAND TO SEE THE PLOT MANAGER BECAUSE IVE LOST IT!

ace

is retired
HSC
grimreaper said:
I know that in the case of my double degree, honours for software engineering is only decided by the wam of the subjects that are taken as a part of that degree - subjects taken as a part of my commerce degree are not included.
That is interesting. I would like to find that out. Cause atm my engineering course marks are ridicuously surpassing my commerce marks. Imagine that, my wam is 75+ due to engineering courses, but I could still be able to get a Commerce degree with distinction. Boo yeah. Gotta luv loopholes.

Hmm, i will later in the future look into this me thinks.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Shawny said:
i heard before like if u get a credit average
they give u this pass with merit shit

then it got too easy and they changed it to pass with distinction
still too easy :D

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
S2 COMP1091 Solving Problems with Software...80 DN
S2 MATH2130 Higher Math Methods for DEs......95 HD
S2 MATH2601 Higher Linear Algebra............90 HD
S2 MATH2910 Higher Statistical Computing.....78 DN
S2 MATH2931 Higher Linear Models.............83 DN

Moral: Don't do 5 technical subjects all at once.
Your modelling and computing subjects seems to be much lower than the pure math subjects. Is applied math very different to pure? Any tips and warnings for a first year math student?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
MAICHI said:
Your modelling and computing subjects seems to be much lower than the pure math subjects. Is applied math very different to pure? Any tips and warnings for a first year math student?
That's perceptive of you. There are a number of reasons for the difference:

1. COMP doesn't scale and is stingy with the HDs even if you are ranked highly

2. In 2nd yr, you have a theoretical stats and applied stats subject in s1 and s2 respectively - theory of stats & linear models. Applied stats is light on rigour but stress a lot on interpretation which is reflected in the easy assignments. However, the exam is lot harder (it actually tests you on theory). Also, I have a feeling that it wasn't scaled at all because there were too many ppl doing Higher.

3. Well, I haven't done many Applied ones yet but from what I can see, Applied teaches you the techniques and makes claims under which conditions those techniques can be applied (without answering any of the difficult questions like existence, convergence, etc). 2nd yr Pure really isn't like 3rd yr Pure which requires constructive proofs. It's more like Applied except with a more detailed discussion of the technicalities.

4. Tips:

You won't have to do MATH2910 as they have completely revised the Maths courses.

Consider doing ordinary level Complex Analysis in s2 if the number theorist Dr MH teaches. He aint that good at teaching.

Applied and pure require more work than Stats. In particular, the 3uoc Higher DEs is a pretty hard course (it's probably worth at least 6uoc). It's one of these courses that does a lot of hand waving (lots of claims, little explanation, little intuition).

Also, most 2nd yr courses are core so you don't have much choice.

All in all, the harder the course, the better you'll do because you'll be motivated to learn.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Ah, thanks for that.

§eraphim said:
You won't have to do MATH2910 as they have completely revised the Maths courses.
So what replaces this one? What other math computing subject can I do in the 2nd session if this is not there, did they introduce a new one?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
There is no replacement. If you're not doing a combined degree, yYou need to do Complex Analysis for a Maths major.

You can do the Computing 1 subject which is taken by all computing/elec students I think. You should get in contact with the CSE office for more info.

Also, there is Math Computing in s1 (it's a MATLAB course). Comp 1 teaches C programming.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
ok, I will look into that, the matlab course.

It seems comp 1 clashes with core math subjects in both sessions. Hopefully when the times for comp1091 are released it won't clash, or else I'm screwed.

Lord Ac said:
Everyone do that gen ed - its all online and could of got 100 if i didnt get two m/c wrong.
Congrats on the 98 Lord Ac, is it really that easy or are you just a freak? What's the assessments like, mostly M/C?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
If it clashes, they'll change it soon since theyre both core subjects for CSE.

I'd rather do the new Comp 1 (COMP1911) rather than COMP1091 as it's got more C and no Perl/Shell. MATLAB is used extensively in Maths and it's a lot like C.

If the final is online, just google for answers.

Affinity

HSC
§eraphim said:
All in all, the harder the course, the better you'll do because you'll be motivated to learn.
that's So true.

Shawny

or the harder the course
the harder u try
the shitter ur mark as difficulty> effort

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Lord Ac said:
Everyone do that gen ed - its all online and could of got 100 if i didnt get two m/c wrong.

Ac
Is that the only assesment? An online MC ?lol

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
sikeveo said:
Is that the only assesment? An online MC ?lol
No. You have 1 Pre-view, 1 post-view, 1 essay, 1 Group assessment, 2 online tests, and online participation.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Survivor39 said:
No. You have 1 Pre-view, 1 post-view, 1 essay, 1 Group assessment, 2 online tests, and online participation.
Whats pre-view and post-view? How do you have group assessments if the course is delivered online?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
MAICHI said:
Whats pre-view and post-view? How do you have group assessments if the course is delivered online?
Pre- and post- views are what do you think you will learn in the course and what have you learned respectively, and it is expected you to write a few paragraph for that before the course commence and before the course ends.

As to the group assignment, it was terrible. Not every member actually participates so for some group, which only has 1 out of their 5 members participate, will have to do all the work by himself/herself. (Note: the people who don't participate gets no mark of course). But luckily I was in a relatively good group with 4/5 people participated. You communicate through a forum, like this like.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
yupyup... lots of little annoying assignments for that gen ed, but they are all easy. For the group assignment you had a choice. The easiest is to come up with several good multiple choice questions. trust me, its dead easy and you dont need a good group (though i had one and it was nice).

The only 'hard' bit is the forumn discussion participation mark ... you have to read a lot of ppl's shit and post some good ideas to get good marks...

Ac

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Okay, I think I will do this one, sounds like a good gened.

Any other tips for a good mark?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)