Send help (1 Viewer)

seano1233211234555

HSC
So basically, I am 100% against the subject English unfortunatley I am too smart and got 92% on my preliminary advanced test. Thought about dropping to English standard for my wellbeing but others have suggested to remain in English advanced. Send help

Last edited:

jojosiwa123

HSC
don't drop! I can completely understand that it's not something you look forward to however you will have to put in the exact same amount of work for standard english- only the end result will be much worse as the scaling is terrible.
what specifically are you struggling with in english? there are heaps of people on BoS ready to help you with any question you have and plenty of ex hsc students offering tutoring if you need it

teddy123

HSC
Standard English here. Listen to the others its still close to as much work for less of the reward.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Stick with Advanced English. Advanced English aligning is much better than Standard English aligning.

quickoats

HSC
DO NOT DROP TO STANDARD. It doesn't demand any less time than advanced. It's not easier than advanced. It's marked harder than advanced. The scaling is one of the worst in the HSC.

Pretty sure a low Band 6 in Standard English is a state rank.
Yep sadly state rank is mid band 6. Lots of people I know got around the 88-89 mark which makes me wonder if they cap band 6s (since the proportion is always ~1%).

The only reason I did standard was because I couldn't/wasn't bothered to grasp the difficulty of the advanced texts. It was still a lot of effort and work.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Yep sadly state rank is mid band 6. Lots of people I know got around the 88-89 mark which makes me wonder if they cap band 6s (since the proportion is always ~1%).

The only reason I did standard was because I couldn't/wasn't bothered to grasp the difficulty of the advanced texts. It was still a lot of effort and work.
I got to write an essay on The Castle and used the quote "it's just the vibe of the thing"

Mazar97

HSC
You probably should stay in advanced especially since you are doing good. Standard is still a lot of work, only reason I did it was cause I have a hard time analysing text.

MrGresh

HSC
So basically, I am 100% against the subject English unfortunatley I am too smart and got 92% on my preliminary advanced test. Wan't to drop to English standard for my wellbeing and integrity but others have suggested to remain in English advanced. Send help :C
A tricky situation. A strange one, but tricky nonetheless.

I guess the first thing to think of is the actual difference between advanced and standard. Both courses require students to analyse texts (both seen and unseen), write essays and do creative writing. No difference there. The real difference is in the complexity and difficulty of the texts studied. Texts in standard tend to be very 'cut and dry'. There is a clear narriative, which bring to light certain, well-defined themes and ideas. On the contrary, Advanced english (as, i'm sure you know from your preliminary studies) tends to involve studying texts of greater complexity. They have narriatives which can be interpreted many ways, and can be discussed and analysed to a deeper level of complexity.

Now, I think it's important to note what you really don't like about english. Is it reading and understanding texts? Or, more likely, is it writing essays?

If you truly do not like reading, understanding and exploring complex texts, then maybe you should consider dropping to standard. But, if you instead don't like the essay writing, then you're not going to be much happier in standard unfortunately.

Everything the others said about scaling etc... is also true. In terms of ATAR, you are much better off sticking to advanced!

BUT your mental health comes first. If advanced isnt for you, it isnt for you :)

JungKooksBurner

HSC
I HIGHLY recommend sticking with Advanced. Ignoring that stuff about scaling you should always do what you do best, and for you, that's succeeding in English! Just one more year and no more English!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)