Senior marker isnt fond of RAGAD abbreviation? (1 Viewer)

absolutlaura

HSC
I was told by my english teacher that the head marker doesnt like the abbreviation RAGAD... Why? Because he's a weirdo.
Does he expect me to write Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead every single goddamn time?
Anyway, just wondering if anybody else had heard this weird piece of information? And what other abbreviations y'all are using

:)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
He's correct, DO NOT abbreviate it to an acronym.

Writing "Ros and Guil" is acceptable for Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, I believe. :):)

absolutlaura

HSC
Thankin you muchly.. whats wrong with a good ole' acronym once in a while anyways? :) lol

kloudsurfer

HSC
I dont have any texts with long names :p

But ive heard acronyms are bad, shortened names are better.

What about 'Rostencrantz...'

minminmin

HSC
yeah they really hate it when you use abbreviations. my reacher said something about how they get confused. i can't see how but whatever

write out the whole title. it looks as if you've written more lol :p

shona1990

HSC
My eng teacher told me that abbreviations are distracting from the writing or something... And told me off for writing "comm. current affairs" in my frontline assessment, even though I'd already used the whole word in the intro!

Yeah, "Ros and Guil" is fine. I never used RAGAD anyway, it was always R&G for me, RAGAD just sounded...weird. But yeah, that goes with everything. For example, they don't expect you to write "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" every time, do they? "Huck Finn" is perfectly acceptable from what I know.

shona1990

HSC
minminmin said:
write out the whole title. it looks as if you've written more lol :p
I really, really don't suggest that, unless it's a short title. It does NOT look like you've written more, and you really want to get the most you can out of an essay (or pers reflection etc - whatever you're doing), not writing less, trying to make it look like you've done more, because the markers know that. Penning the whole title is just a waste of time when you could be getting more info out (potentially more marks)

Bec-B

HSC
Yeah from what I've heard they don't like abbreviations because they detract from the flow of your answer, it takes them time to figure it out etc. Apparently it's an especially big no no to do this in the AOS exam (because if you're writing abbreviations for lots of different texts it gets mega confusing) but generally in english its a no no.
But using ellipses after you've written it out once in full is apparently fine e.g. "Rosencratz..." as other people were saying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)