sentence understanding (1 Viewer)

SG1991

The crazy volunteer <3
HSC
Does anyone know what this sentence means"Gender is a social construct". Its for society and culture. My s&c teacher says its a good sentence to use for the assessment. I must use it but I have no idea what it means. I have already use this sentence in another s&c assessment, so I must use this

Hope this makes sense!!!

Thanks
SG1991

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
SG1991 said:
Does anyone know what this sentence means"Gender is a social construct". Its for society and culture. My s&c teacher says its a good sentence to use for the assessment. I must use it but I have no idea what it means. I have already use this sentence in another s&c assessment, so I must use this

Hope this makes sense!!!

Thanks
SG1991
social construct is any phenomenon "invented" or "constructed" by participants in a particular culture or society, existing because people agree to behave as if it exists or follow certain conventional rules. It basically means that the gender is "constructed" in a way to fit the society's norm. For example, women are expected to stay at home and care for their children at home whereas some women would like to work for their familes for income while their husbands stay at home and care for their children.

SG1991

The crazy volunteer <3
HSC
lyounamu said:
social construct is any phenomenon "invented" or "constructed" by participants in a particular culture or society, existing because people agree to behave as if it exists or follow certain conventional rules. It basically means that the gender is "constructed" in a way to fit the society's norm. For example, women are expected to stay at home and care for their children at home whereas some women would like to work for their familes for income while their husbands stay at home and care for their children.
Thank you so much :D That makes so much sense. Now I've got it :D :D :D :D

Last edited:

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lyounamu said:
Yep yep yep. :D

SG1991, just think of how babies are always dressed in blue if they're male and red if they're female.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)