• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Serious Question! (1 Viewer)

soccerfan1

HSC
N/A
i just wanna ask those people who have actually done the course:

B Civil Engineering

B Construction (UTS)

what do u actually learn, like being specific, what sort of assignments do u have to do (eg build a model of a tower, or something)

i wanna actually know what u learn:
the only thing i know about civil engineering, is testing the strength of cement
what other things are done...

thxxx

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
go here: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2007/3620.html
click on each of the "CVENXXXX ___________" links and read the description.

eg

CVEN4526 Poop Engineering:
The course introduces public health engineering, including water supply and wastewater disposal systems, water and wastewater treatment, water quality and contamination indicators. Topics include water quality parameters; unit operations in treatment of water and wastewater; potable water distribution systems; sewage collection systems; and stormwater systems

That will tell you what you will learn in the course. (same deal with the Bcons., find the uts handbook)

Assessments are based on the course content. You'll have quizes and tests, plus assignments based on the subject area, eg. design a ..... or analyse this or research this topic.

There's lots of 'do something, write a report about it then present it to the class'.

pottsy44

HSC
soccerfan1 said:
i wanna actually know what u learn:
the only thing i know about civil engineering, is testing the strength of cement
what other things are done...
you do those kind of tests in a construction degree too.

most unis have a set of base 'construction technology' units. civil, concrete, steel, services (hyraulics, electrical etc.) and depending on uni a couple more.

these are the subjects where you have practicals and do the testing.

'most' construction degrees will focus on economics of construction, so you will have estimating and quantity surveying units. in a nutshell it is measuring and pricing things such as columns, walls, floors etc

and then you have a small base of management and law / regulations type units.

feel free to ask questions, but ask them in that new thread you made please.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)