Seriously...What Is Engineering Studies Like Come Exam Time? (1 Viewer)

Priyant

Im doing engineering studies, and in Year 11 (going on 12) and i would TOTALLY love to know what tips you could possibly give me. Because Engineering Studies is my FAVOURITE subject for like....EVER! and i really want to do well. I got an average mark in my Prelim exam, which was a fail, but according to my engineering studies teacher, Mr Pro...ehem...Mr. Anonymous....it was actually Good, considering hardness, and things, etc.

So What Could Help me? I do Chem/2Unit Adv Maths/Phys that could help me.

Any suggestions? Seriously!

Anyway...to leave on a lighter note...

2003 Oscars For your Consideration:

Kill Bill - Volume One
Whale Rider
Lost In Translation
The Last Samurai
The Alamo
Under The Tuscan Sun
The House Of Sand And Fog
Cold Mountain
Shattered Glass
Mystic River

Thanks...Now Buh Bye!

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Ummm Priyant, i LOVE engineering as well, its a good subject. Ummm....im not trying to be a bastard here by all means, but prolly best that u redirect this at us (engineering students) when the exam is over.....im happy to give any advice for study/exams....but atm im a bit stressed thats all.

Ask later

Priyant

Um....HELLO!!!!

If Youre Stressed then you should just IGNORE this!

I Dont mean to be a bitch hun.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Buddy, let me tell u something.......stress isnt always just related to being unprepared.
Next year you will be the one who works that out ok!!!!!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Priyant
Im doing engineering studies, and in Year 11 (going on 12) and i would TOTALLY love to know what tips you could possibly give me. Because Engineering Studies is my FAVOURITE subject for like....EVER! and i really want to do well. I got an average mark in my Prelim exam, which was a fail, but according to my engineering studies teacher, Mr Pro...ehem...Mr. Anonymous....it was actually Good, considering hardness, and things, etc.

So What Could Help me? I do Chem/2Unit Adv Maths/Phys that could help me.

Any suggestions? Seriously!
Hi Priyant, welcome to BoS and the Enigineering Forum.

What exactly would you like to know? Your question is very broad. As an '02-er I should be able to answer your questions now.

Priyant

Thank You.

Firstly:

What Can I Expect out of the HSC Course

What Subject Areas from the great Prelim Course is vital to understand in order to have a good understanding of the HSC Course (what is vital, and is explored once again)

What Books are there to supplement what we do in class. I know of ROCHFORD which my teacher worships, and rightfully so. Is there anything out there? Because EXCEL doesnt publish one for Engineering Studies :chainsaw:

Whats the scaling system in relation to the HSC and Engineering Studies

WHats this about the hardest workers getting only 70 in their HSC mark for Engineering Studies...?

And Here at the BOS, i will end each major post with a bunch of For Your Considerations (FYC) for The Globes, Oscars, Emmys, SAG's, and the Grammys.

FYC:

Britney Spears/Madonna ~ Me Against The Music

Hilary Duff ~ Come Clean

Best Actress In A Leading Role ~ Nicole Kidman (Cold MOuntain) Best Actor in a Leading Role ~ Tom Cruise (The Last Samurai)

Scarlett Johanson (Supp Actress) , Bill Murray (Lead Actor) and Sofia Copolla (Director/Screenplay) ~ Lost In Translation

Globes: TV: Joan Of Arcadia, The lyons Den, Alias, Will & Grace, Friends, Carnivale`, Monk, Frasier, The West Wing, Homeless To Harvard.

Thanks!:)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Q: What Can I Expect out of the HSC Course
A: A small insght into the world of engineering. Great if you plan to do engineering @ uni.

A: What Subject Areas from the great Prelim Course is vital to understand in order to have a good understanding of the HSC Course (what is vital, and is explored once again)
Q: Everything you need to know will be revisited. The concepts ARE the same, but with different applications.

Q: What Books are there to supplement what we do in class. I know of ROCHFORD which my teacher worships, and rightfully so. Is there anything out there? Because EXCEL doesnt publish one for Engineering Studies :chainsaw:
A: There is not much out there. See the threads in this forum that talk about textbooks for advice on what to get.

Q: Whats the scaling system in relation to the HSC and Engineering Studies
A: Engineering Studies traditionally is very porley scaled.

Q: WHats this about the hardest workers getting only 70 in their HSC mark for Engineering Studies...?
A: Well I got 93 (aligned mark) ...

Priyant

Cooly! That actually Helped!

FYC: Amber Tamblyn - Best Actress in A Drama Series (Golden Globes) ~ Joan Of Arcadia

Don_Juan

HSC
try getting your hands on Distance Education Material (it can be bought now i think) i'm using and teaching myself practically. They are the best notes ever. NO JK. and go indepth into everything then summarise into a neat book after.

If u want anything on anything its there...e-mail me ;-)

Santa

PuuWA!!
HSC
I'm one of the students who from this term onwards will be studying from the Long Distance Education Engineering booklets. My teacher is retiring at the end of this year.

The booklets are NOT fantastic. They go into far too much detail, and does not provide enough help to complete the questions (at the end of each booklet).

Each booklet is on average 50-60 pages including about 15 pages of questions. According to the timetable we were given, we should finish a booklet every week.

In case you want to get them, which apparently you can, can Don please get back ere and tell us where we might find them short of directly contacting the long distance education high school?

cheers

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i would TOTALLY love to know what tips you could possibly give me
tips?

-revise your days work at home if possible (memory retention rates increase if u look through schoolwork at least twice, otherwise it's likely to be lost in your sleep)

-form a study group with your friends

-Active listening in class. Make notes of important points or things you are likely to forget so u can browse through them later in your own time.

-make summaries, and summaries of your summaries and so on and so forth. Why?
Alot of what is stated in the textbooks is likely to be very elementary so by cutting out stuff you don't need to read over repetitively you are working more efficiently. Once you have made a summary read over it a few times. Cut out stuff you have memorised and re-summarise. Repeat this process until you have remembered everything.
Tip: DON'T rely on your friends' summaries. Make your own because:
1. In the process of writing down information you retain the imformation more easily.
2. You can tailor the summary to be relevant to you and you alone. You will only be reading materials that you know you need to memorise.

-Leave no stone unturned. Ask the teacher to clarify anything and everything to avoid embarrassment and wasting time later.

- Practise Practise Practise. Doing many examples of mechanics questions will prepare you for the actual HSC. This is because you will have encountered the many range of questions available for examiners to torture you with and you can then devise the relevant strategy to the problem. This goes for any subject. In English you'd write many practise essays, or in maths you would finish a whole chapter of exercises to increase yor confidence. Same goes here (just a sidenote copeland exercises suck...alot of the solutions in the back are wrong. I recommend Schlenker/McKern "Engineering Mechanics" or that mechanics book by Ray Holden).

-Use BOS engo forums to communicate with your year group!

Well that's my spiel for today.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)