• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Serving in the infantry - will it help to get an accounting job? (1 Viewer)

synthesized

HSC
N/A
has anyone here thought about joining the army reserves while at uni and will it be as useful as i imagine it would be for making you stand out against all the other commerce grads? i mean, if it's not going to convince an employer that you are strong minded, have leadership capabilities, are mature, know where you fit in in the real world, then what else would??

i don't think the army is going to be much of a dinner party though and if it's not going to help my career i don't want to waste the effort...

waiter

HSC
N/A
do it.

90% of the other applicants are under-life-experienced idiots with no idea about how the world works.

large corporates hiring grads want people with people and life skills. you'll get plenty of that in the army reserves.

waiter

HSC
N/A
way to get it wrong dipshit.

i guess you belong in that 90%.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Play nicely guys.

Anyways, I guess it depends what area of Accounting you want to go into. I guess what Shuter described is more the traditional book-keeping type role. Most university graduates tend not to go into this type of role. I guess roles such as auditing, forecasting and management accounting are mainly areas that graduates go into. These are usually areas that employers will look for the skills that you mentioned, though there are many different ways you can achieve this. If you are interested in the Army Reserve then I say go for it :)

turtleface

HSC
By getting yourself into the Reserve, you don't necessarily have to become cannon fodder for the war mongering politicians. For instance, a lecturer of ours is an officer in the Reserves Pay Corps where some accounting may come in handy.

Synthesized,
Whilst not wishing to give you a sense of complacency, it isn't that difficult to get a job in Commerce or Accounting, especially given the skills shortage.

Also what do mean "the real world"? Its not like any of us are in fantasy land cause we're students.

Shuter if you knew anything about Accounting you'd know Trial Balances are automatically churned out by computers.

Last edited:

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
Shuter said:
Accounting jobs don't want leaders, they want people who will sit at a desk and quietly prepare a trial balance.

Accounting employers realise that people with leadership won't want to stay in accounting for very long.
lol ok, so accounting wants ppl who are underconfident and can't make decisions?

just ppl who sit down at a desk all day...

mate u need to learn more about the real world lol

leadership skills is quality for any position

L

littlewing69

Just be careful you dont get sent somewhere God-awful.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
IMO being in the army improves your job chances in many industries- not just accounting. It shows discipline and focus- something which is valuable in many industries but is difficult to show for by only writing it in your application.

jasee said:
Play nicely guys.

Anyways, I guess it depends what area of Accounting you want to go into. I guess what Shuter described is more the traditional book-keeping type role. Most university graduates tend not to go into this type of role. I guess roles such as auditing, forecasting and management accounting are mainly areas that graduates go into. These are usually areas that employers will look for the skills that you mentioned, though there are many different ways you can achieve this. If you are interested in the Army Reserve then I say go for it :)
LOL we really gotta change this stereotype don't we Jase? I don't think people realise that accounting (for graduates) tends to involve a lot of interfacing as well as actual work particularly if you're in say, audit.

... as for that pic- isn't that Chloe on the left?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Nice letter to Honi Soit there waf
They actually published it !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)