Set Design (1 Viewer)

Mutationis

Jun Ting Chau
HSC
Anyone here doing set design? if so, whic text are you using and how are you going so far? i'm using "Private Lives". i've done a few sketches but at the moment it's mostly research and looking at sets and stuff...

devilsrope

HSC
i''m doing 'The Ham Funeral'. ive done heaps of sketching, and came up with something and wrote out all construction methods for it. then scrapped it and went in a complete different direction. so on the whole its going ok, but yeah, should start on the model set soon. what theatre are you doing yours for?
im the only one doing set design at my school. so it kind of sucks not having anyone to work off or anything.

Mutationis

Jun Ting Chau
HSC
yeah, i'm the only one in my school to do it too. do we actually have to design for a theatre or is it just name dropping? my design is in the round so it's hard to find a theatre for. i've found one in Las Vegas though :D

Gummy_bear

HSC
I was going to do set design, but I wouldnt of been able to cope with having to have everything at that certain scale, being crap at maths and all. I can remember formulas and all, but working that out would have been too much of a pain for me.

Good on you for doing it though :)

toopy2000

HSC
Hey dude... Just letting u know I'm also doing set design for the Ham Funeral. It's killing me but it's still intriguing me so I spose thats gotta be a good thing.

I'm from the Central Coast but go to Newtown Highschool of the Performing Arts (Sydney) - so thats kinda hard gettin the set design to school for assessments etc etc.

How did u decode the play? Have u got a completly different concept to the script or?

Anyway it'd be cool to hear from u, peace out :0)

Last edited:

Mutationis

Jun Ting Chau
HSC
i just started making a practise model today. much harder than i thought. how conventional were your designs? i had an issue in that i wanted to do a more abstract type of set but when i went to see onstage, the set designs there were super conventional (like proscenium, used realism). i kept thinking should i sacrifice my creativity to get the marks by "playing the game". i've decided to stick to my plan of going abstract (and sticking to in-the-round). hopefully it'll pay off.

how's everyone's set designs going?

toopy2000

HSC
Apparently they want you to stick fairly closely to exactly what the script describes... Thats according to a HSC marker for set designs lol... I know - friends in high places lol!

That's Without much creative licence taken.

Apparently it's too easy to go off track or on a tangent if you over-interpret a script/play. Plus The theatre in the round may work... But have you just staged it there because it goes against the grain of other set designs. Or does it add to the overall dramatic effect? I dunno, just a thought...

I'm hearing all this from someone else... Don't shoot the messenger!! Lol, see you round like a rissole :0)

Mutationis

Jun Ting Chau
HSC
it's a good point you bring up about doing it for dramatic effect and not doing just for the sake of being different. in my mind it works. now all i have to do is convince the examiners... i reckon that'll mostly be in the rationale where i try to get through to them why i've chosen to do it this way. but now i'm worried some you said they want us to stick pretty close to what the script describes. but we'll see....

jgurl

HSC
is anybody using dolls furniture in ur set?? coz i was told that we werent allowed to. but i have looked at past sets and people with band 6's have used minor dolls items like a clock or a jug.... dose anybody no if that ok or is it not coz i got to no....
thanks

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Hey guys. I'm doing design for theatre at university. Few tips...
- start working with a white model in a scale setting ASAP...(white model is every rostra, level made roughly out of white card...you play around with whats in the space)
- remember to put a scale figure in your set and sometimes your drawings...
- research art, not other sets.
- and don't use doll's furniture...your designing a set for christs sake. Everything in it should have a common flavour...a concept. If the dolls furniture fits in the design concept and it's to scale then use it.
- You'll be surprise how easy scale work is...just buy a scale rule...they're lik $10 from officeworks.

good luck :)

devilsrope

HSC
i just finished all my set work and everything. im happily packing it up to send away. ahhh feels soooo good to have it done.
now i have to do art. and that sucks.
ahhhhhhhhh

piratie

HSC
hey guys,

I did set design too, for Myth, Propaganda and Disaster....etc. My biggest fear is the model falling apart while it was delivered! My model was huge, (90cm x 90cm) - trust me to be an idiot and pick a huge stage to model it around....but hey, least it's over. Fingers crossed - good luck to everyone. I wonder how many other people did set design....

toopy2000

HSC
Thank god its bloody done!!!!!!!! good luck guys! And to art students... Well done aswell!! Peace out...

(P.s. - The designs won't begin to be marked til the first week after the holidays... So if you, in any way shape or form, can slip into roseville racecourse and alter ur set... do so... and quickley!!!! Better yet; dress as a marker and pretend to mark it urself?)

Bree08

HSC
Ive done my set and everything I just don't know what to write in the 300 word rational.. please help anyone!!!! :):shy:

shell6108475648

HSC
Hey IT'S ALL DONE!!! Handed in and shipped to sydney!!! Hope it gets up there safe and sound!!! What play did you design for?

shell
xoxo

hey diprat!

HSC
omg
i wish they would hurry up and send them back!:cold:
my set design is my baby!

i did The Ham Funeral...
anyone else this year???

shell6108475648

HSC
Haha yea same :D it took up 8 months of my life and I miss her heaps :D

I did "private Lives" such a good play.

Can u post a pic of it? so I can have a look???

shell
xoxo

hey diprat!

HSC
this is my design of The Ham Funeral...

its going to be at onstage!
woo!

: D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)