Setting out and marks (1 Viewer)

ccanaris

HSC
1) I know for proof questions you are not technically meant to write what you are proving at the start of your working. However Can I write it and then cross it out in the exam?

This is especially important for induction questions where they can be pretty long and I don't want to make a transcription error.

2) If the induction step of proving n= k+1 fails ( by my error) is it still worth the time to write a conclusion?

3) In an induction question if there is a sum eg 1+5 +11+... + some formula with n in it = some complicated formula with n
Do you have to write the whole sum with the intergers on the left hand side in every step?
Or can you just use the terms with k?
Tell me if you need a better example of what I mean

4) In a question with multiple parts. If you get part i) wrong but you use the answer for part ii) but part ii) is only worth 1 mark would you still get the mark?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
You don't get any marks for the conclusion, so it is never worth it to actually write one.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
1) I know for proof questions you are not technically meant to write what you are proving at the start of your working. However Can I write it and then cross it out in the exam?

This is especially important for induction questions where they can be pretty long and I don't want to make a transcription error.

2) If the induction step of proving n= k+1 fails ( by my error) is it still worth the time to write a conclusion?

3) In an induction question if there is a sum eg 1+5 +11+... + some formula with n in it = some complicated formula with n
Do you have to write the whole sum with the intergers on the left hand side in every step?
Or can you just use the terms with k?
Tell me if you need a better example of what I mean

4) In a question with multiple parts. If you get part i) wrong but you use the answer for part ii) but part ii) is only worth 1 mark would you still get the mark?
1. If you wish to write it, write down "RTP: *the thing you want to prove*". If you don't already know, RTP means "Required to Prove"

2. No. There are absolutely NO marks allocated for it. Even if you get out the inductive step, don't bother writing it anyway.

3. You should write out the first few terms so then you can easily understand the pattern.

4. Yes, you do still get it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)