Setting up ADSL2+ (1 Viewer)

astroe

HSC
Okay so I called TPG and they said the line is going to be activated tomorrow.
I haven't bought modem yet and I plan to do that tomorrow as well, it's $280, is that too much to pay for a modem? :S
TPG says I need a line splitter (or, they were trying to sell me one) and my friend says I don't.

Here's their setup PDF,
http://www.tpg.com.au/helpdesk/pppoe/QuickReference.pdf

I don't have a wall socket! (as per the diagrams)
I already read over setting up the settings and I'm like "what the eff" - and I'm already stuck on the physical connections. >_>

I honestly don't know what I'm doing, please help! :(

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
280 is waaaaay expensive (but at least it should be configured with tpg's settings if you buy from them)

wall socket is where your phone plugs in

do you have a phone?

astroe

HSC
LOL.
Actually, I'm not buying from TPG, its a Belkin N1 Vision Modem/Router from a computer store, I'm planning to go buy it tomorrow, unless you guys could suggest better alternatives?

And, yeah I have a landline phone. It's currently connected directly connected to the wall socket. There's only one phone (i.e, there are wireless handsets but the only the base has a direct socket-line connection)

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
ok well you need a splitter/filter so you can plug in both the modem and your phone at the same time

that modem is a pretty huge gimmick. buy it if you really need a massive flashing light display to tell you if your internet is working. otherwise buy a normal wireless modem/router for <$150 and shove it under your desk and never look at it just like everybody else does.

Top Secret

HSC
You need a wall socket for your modem to connect to.
Line splitter is required to split data and phone services, since they both travel on the same line in the ADSL2 service. It is connected to your wall socket, and either your phone, or phone and modem (which you will be doing).

If you only have one wall socket, and that is connected to your phone, you can still connect your modem/router to the separate "modem" socket which will be on the splitter. $280 is quite expensive, but since it's wireless, it doesn't matter if your computer does not reside anywhere close to the wall socket. Just configure the router, make sure your computer has a wireless PCI card or wireless dongle, and you will be set. Also, don't forget to secure your wireless (preferably WPA encryption) and enter TPG details (username, password, DNS server etc) into modem in order to connect to them.

astroe

HSC
that modem is a pretty huge gimmick. buy it if you really need a massive flashing light display to tell you if your internet is working. otherwise buy a normal wireless modem/router for <$150 and shove it under your desk and never look at it just like everybody else does.
Haha, okay I see your point. :p
I've settled for the Linksys WAG160N. It's only $154 at MSY.

You need a wall socket for your modem to connect to.
Line splitter is required to split data and phone services, since they both travel on the same line in the ADSL2 service. It is connected to your wall socket, and either your phone, or phone and modem (which you will be doing).

If you only have one wall socket, and that is connected to your phone, you can still connect your modem/router to the separate "modem" socket which will be on the splitter. $280 is quite expensive, but since it's wireless, it doesn't matter if your computer does not reside anywhere close to the wall socket. Just configure the router, make sure your computer has a wireless PCI card or wireless dongle, and you will be set. Also, don't forget to secure your wireless (preferably WPA encryption) and enter TPG details (username, password, DNS server etc) into modem in order to connect to them.
I've found out that I have a 600 series wall socket, so that would mean that I would need to buy a line splitter that has a RJ11 adapter. Then I'd just hook up the phone to the splitter, and do the same with the router, right?

Thanks guys! :)

astroe

HSC
Bahaha, all done now. :)
However the length of the cable from the socket to the modem is pretty long - like 10/15 metres - which, I'm assuming, explains why I'm not getting blisteringly fast speeds?

Would it be worth it to have the modem/router right next the phone socket and get it connected to my fixed desktop via Ethernet cable (running along the walls, etc). Like, would there be any noticeable change in speed? At the moment I have the phone line for the modem, from the line splitter, going along the kickboards.

Ethernet cables aren't that much either, like 10m for $8 and 20m for $12.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
don't think it makes much of a difference, but more so your distance from the exchange point

astroe

HSC
Ah, I thought that at first but then I did a speed test - I closed everything else that might be taking downloads. I wasn't sharing the connection at the time either.

And according to the TPG Network maps thing, I'm in the red zone, the closest to the exchange. These are the people within 100m of my address, and their download speeds (all in mbps):

Something's going on. :S
Is it because I bought a $3 line splitter?
I'm content, but 2.18 =/= 15.000

The reason why I thought about replacing the wires was some guy in a shop said something about Ethernet having 8 lines and phone lines having 4 and something sharing something - I don't remember much. :p

Last edited:

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
Bahaha, all done now. :)
However the length of the cable from the socket to the modem is pretty long - like 10/15 metres - which, I'm assuming, explains why I'm not getting blisteringly fast speeds?

Would it be worth it to have the modem/router right next the phone socket and get it connected to my fixed desktop via Ethernet cable (running along the walls, etc). Like, would there be any noticeable change in speed? At the moment I have the phone line for the modem, from the line splitter, going along the kickboards.

Ethernet cables aren't that much either, like 10m for $8 and 20m for $12.
yes and yes. the phone cable should be as short as possible. ethernet cable can much longer.

test it out with a shorter phone cable (1-3m)

also test it without the splitter if the speed still sucks

astroe

HSC
LOL.
I did post on Whirlpool actually. :p

However, I really do value your input guys! ^_^

Okay, well here's the update. I did an isolation test, so I just connected the modem via the 15 metre cord to the main phone socket, and surprise! It went up to 11mbps. :)
So it's my stupid $3 line splitter that wasn't splitting the line very well. I realised this as there was noticeable static when I was on the phone, and the internet went down while I was the phone too.
The guy said to keep the distance between modem and filter/phone socket less than 3 metres, as opposed to 15, so I guess I'll be out shopping for the best line filter money can buy and a really long Ethernet cable, and move the modem. Since I live less than 1km from the exchange, I was told to expect about 20mbps.

I guess I'll try it and see what happens!
Everyone, thanks for all your help though, I really appreciate it.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Ah, I thought that at first but then I did a speed test - I closed everything else that might be taking downloads. I wasn't sharing the connection at the time either.

And according to the TPG Network maps thing, I'm in the red zone, the closest to the exchange. These are the people within 100m of my address, and their download speeds (all in mbps):

I'm content, but 2.18 =/= 15000

The reason why I thought about replacing the wires was some guy in a shop said something about Ethernet having 8 lines and phone lines having 4 and something sharing something - I don't remember much. :p
Woah! They're some kickass speeds. What do you need/want that speed for?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
IMO build your own Ethernet cable, a tad cheaper.

vds700

HSC
we originally had our modem connected to the wall socket using a 17 m long cable, but we had lots of dropouts. Since I moved it into another room with a 2m long cable, its been perfect.

jaredtomas

HSC

I'm content, but 2.18 =/= 15.000

That's pretty bad. Mine sucks and this is my speed:

I'm on wifi too.

G15

HSC
my exchange is up the road from my house, something about...1km and i get this

astroe

HSC
LOL WTF IS THAT!
You can download movies in like 3 seconds!

Oh, and heres mine, it's all good now. :)

Normally is higher but meh, *shrug*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)