Seven Pounds - Belonging? (1 Viewer)

amclachlan

HSC
im not really sure about a film to do, and i was thinking that seven pounds might be good.

i was thinking of relating it to belonging by saying hes lost it when he kills his family in the car accident.

also that he was helping other people find belonging in the world because they are sick and losing there place of belonging and buy giving his organs he is helping them find belonging.

OR
he is trying to find belonging by giving his organs away.

i realy have no idea, haha

if thats not a good idea any suggestions?
i have the text the arrival by shaun tan aswell.

thanks

flyawaybird

HSC
7 pounds is giving the theme of belonging as the people he gives his organs away to were outcast from society due to their physical disadvantages. As will smith gives away his organs he is allowing those people to gain a sense of belonging in society and eventually two of them to even fall in love.

everfree

HSC
Well, I've watched Seven Pounds a number of times and I've got to admit I think it's spectacular and if you perform in-depth study for the film it probably could work, though it is far more reliant on the theme of redemption. When Smith's family does die in the car accident, along with others, this is indeed a source of not belonging as he becomes alienated from the rest of society due to his guilt. I believe donating his organs to the seven recipients could be seen as a seeking for belonging, since he's trying to re-establish himself into the community and rid himself of the obvious guilt he harbours from the accident. When Smith interacts with some of the seven recipients, even more so, he builds relationships and helps them - not only himself - to belong to society. The pivotal point is his relationship with the woman, but also the ending where the woman and the blind man find comfort with each other knowing they were part of the circle of seven people with Smith. Hopefully I helped! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)