Sexual Education and Abstinence (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
In a rare situation Im creating a topic.

But as I'm sure all of you well read people will know (ok maybe three of you) the US government has been criticised heavily for promoting abstinence only sexual education.

CNN.com said:
Groups protest government sex-ed site

Friday, April 1, 2005 Posted: 2:19 PM EST (1919 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- An array of advocacy groups are calling on the U.S. government to take down one of its new Web sites, saying it presents biased and inaccurate advice to parents on how to talk to their children about sex.

The site -- 4parents.gov -- stresses the promotion of abstinence.

Emphasizing abstinence is fine, said the groups, but the government, under the conservative Bush administration, also should stress the need for contraception if sexual relations do occur.

"There's this misconception that giving young people negative information about contraception will encourage them not to have sexual intercourse, when all it will do is encourage them not to have contraception, so the strategy backfires," Monica Rodriguez, an official at the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States, said Thursday.

The council, which also provides sex education materials, sent a letter addressing its concerns to Michael Leavitt, secretary of the Health and Human Services Department. More than 100 organizations, primarily liberal advocacy groups, signed on, including the American Civil Liberties Union, the Human Rights Campaign and Planned Parenthood.

Leavitt said in a statement unveiling the site last week that it was designed for parents who are embarrassed about talking with their children about sex.

"Parents have a tremendous amount of influence on their children and we want them to talk with their teens about abstinence so that they can stay safe and healthy," he said.

Health officials said Thursday evening they were not surprised certain groups disliked the site.

"They've always opposed us on the issue of abstinence. That's fine," said health department spokesman Bill Pierce said. "One thing we do know about abstinence is that if you practice it, you will not have an unintended pregnancy or risk catching a sexually transmitted disease."

The site advises parents to tell their teens why they should not have sex: "Tell them abstinence is the healthiest choice. They will not have to worry about getting pregnant or getting someone pregnant. They will not have to worry about sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS. Nor will they have to worry that the person they are dating is only interested in them because of sex."

The Human Rights Campaign said it was particularly concerned about sections of the Web site that focus on sexual orientation. The group works for equal rights for gays, lesbians and bisexuals.

The site says: "If you believe your adolescent may be gay, or is experiencing difficulties with gender identity or sexual orientation issues, consider seeing a family therapist who shares your values to clarify and work through these issues."

Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, said in a separate letter to Leavitt, that describing sexual orientation as an "alternative lifestyle" is outdated and inaccurate language that can alienate youth at a time when they are particularly vulnerable.

The site describes condoms as imperfect, saying they can break or be used incorrectly, and it includes a chart of whether a condom protects a little, some, or a lot, against various sexually transmitted diseases.

Patrick Fagan, a research fellow at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, said the Web site's information about condoms looked accurate.

"This is standard, straightforward research on the effectiveness of condoms," he said.
For those too lazy to read the above the site is http://4parents.gov

Opinions, random Christian comments which say God is great, random anti-Christian comments that say God is bad, but add nothing to the argument?

This has nothing to do with the Pope in any way shape or form. Bar he also follows the same line.

Last edited:
HSC
The thing is, a lot of Americans would agree with this, given Bush's re-election, so imagine what it would be like being an American teenager at the moment

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
religious viewpoints and an intense dislike of american politics aside, whats wrong with a sexual health programme promoting abstinence?

dunno..I dont see anything wrong with it if it isnt pushing the point or making it law ie its the only way/thing....

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Why do i feel like the world is socially regressing back to prehistoric times? ...Tskk.

Abbeygale

HSC
snapperhead said:
religious viewpoints and an intense dislike of american politics aside, whats wrong with a sexual health programme promoting abstinence?

dunno..I dont see anything wrong with it if it isnt pushing the point or making it law ie its the only way/thing....
There's nothing at all wrong with a sexual health rpogram promoting abstinence. Almost all sexual health programs promote abstinence.
The problem is with Bush's 'Abstinence Only' programs. Abstinence isn't just promoted, it's presented as the only option. The statistics coming out of the programs suggest that they're highly ineffective- it seems that when you tell a teenager condoms are crap and don't work, instead of deciding to save themselves for marriage, many decide to save themselves a dollar.

Teaching kids abstinence should be the best solution. But it's not working. And by continuing to push abstinence programs because theoretically they're the best option, Bush is putting his fingers in his ears and going 'lalalalalala'.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Great site. I for one would hate having to be a proper parent, and even then one with a misguided sense of responsibility. Luckily I can know rely on this wonderful site.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
snapperhead said:

Nothing wrong with promoting absitence it just does so with so much force that it leaves other issues aside.

How to use contraception, condoms is vaguely mentioned. Rather that they aren't 100% effective (even less if they don't know how to use it!).

Also as much as I don't like to use the word, the site is "heteronormative" it assumes that only heterosexual issues will be discussed. More so in that it is telling the teens the only safe way is to wait until marriage. Last time I knew any committed monogamous (or even polygamous if it is an isolated group) is safe. So unfortunately those teens who are gay/lesbian or just don't like marriage will never get to have sex :rolleyes:

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
agreed that its over the top (as anything associated with american politics is) but as someone that has had to teach the whole sex ed thing for the past 12 years (both in state and religious schools) and having worked at the Wayside Chapel in Kings Cross (street and phone advice worker), I dont see anything wrong with promoting abstinence as a viable form of "contraception".
plus given that the site is aimed at parents, isnt up to the parents to decide how they use this information? Imean, just cause the govt says so doesnt make it necessarily so.... or are we assuming that all americans dont have a brain?

(again the stress is on that my opinion is not religiously motivated but rather professionally motivated and based on much experience of seeing what a careless decission can do to an individuals life)
meh..my opinion. You are welcome to disagree with it (as I know people will!)

Abbeygale

HSC
I don't think anyone's likely to disagree with you. Abstinence is the only way to 100% avoid pregnancy and STDs, so it should always be included in any curriculum on sex education.
But teaching that abstinence is the only option is a good way to boost the population.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Interesting that you mention this, since I distinctly remember that during my entire school career (ie going through it) never once was abstinence mentioned. It was all about first how puberty (and the blood/semen emissions associated with it) are all normal, then it was all about how you have to wear a condom.

Never once were we encouraged to think about not having sex, but rather "talking about it" and "making sure you're comfortable". Certainly, they did say that it's alright not to have sex, but it was ALWAYS in a way that assumed you would at some point in the near future rather than waiting for marriage.

As for sexually transmitted infections...well, all it takes is a slight nick in the wrong place for a condom to be useless (ie pelvic incision).

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
snapperhead said:
agreed that its over the top (as anything associated with american politics is) but as someone that has had to teach the whole sex ed thing for the past 12 years (both in state and religious schools) and having worked at the Wayside Chapel in Kings Cross (street and phone advice worker), I dont see anything wrong with promoting abstinence as a viable form of "contraception".
plus given that the site is aimed at parents, isnt up to the parents to decide how they use this information? Imean, just cause the govt says so doesnt make it necessarily so.... or are we assuming that all americans dont have a brain?

(again the stress is on that my opinion is not religiously motivated but rather professionally motivated and based on much experience of seeing what a careless decission can do to an individuals life)
meh..my opinion. You are welcome to disagree with it (as I know people will!)
That site is similar to what is being taught in many classrooms.

It isn't that it is taught. It is that it is really the only one taught.

We were taught abstinence in regards to contraception, with it being the only 100% safe way to do it.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
That site is similar to what is being taught in many classrooms.

It isn't that it is taught. It is that it is really the only one taught.

We were taught abstinence in regards to contraception, with it being the only 100% safe way to do it.
it is the safest way

and Im pretty sure the percentages still point to it being the only 100% sure fire way of avoiding things (from condoms are 98.something% safe)

Look Im agreeing that its over the top but I dont see an issue with promoting abstinence if its done properly.

Maybe its a generational thing ie Im not so concerned with my sexual rights be "taken away" from me! (or with my not "getting some")
LOL

Plus since when do students follow what they are taught at school anyway?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Exactly. But students might learn some things from school, such as how to use contraception, which is being disregarded for more "wait until marriage" (which is quite stupid, since it assumes a) Marriages are lifelong and don't break up b) it is the only way to be in a committed relationship).

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
to me its the fact that the US spends so much money without researchin the complience rate!

lik teachin a person to ue a condom is important.. cos its the last line of defense against STI's..

a recent study of 'pledges' in the US.. these are ppl who "pledge" to preserve their virginity.. (another thing that is encouraged through some abstinence program) is that they use condoms less, are 6 times more likely to have anal and oral sex w/o protection.. and also hav a STI/s as a result of the non-condom use

Abstinence is 100% effective.. Duh.. but how many can stick to it?
condoms are up to 99% effective with correct use... but compliance rates are higher..

think as a teen: ure horny.. have sex using a condom or dont?

the Abstinence Only programs are flawed IMO

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
to me its the fact that the US spends so much money without researchin the complience rate!

lik teachin a person to ue a condom is important.. cos its the last line of defense against STI's..

a recent study of 'pledges' in the US.. these are ppl who "pledge" to preserve their virginity.. (another thing that is encouraged through some abstinence program) is that they use condoms less, are 6 times more likely to have anal and oral sex w/o protection.. and also hav a STI/s as a result of the non-condom use

Abstinence is 100% effective.. Duh.. but how many can stick to it?
condoms are up to 99% effective with correct use... but compliance rates are higher..

think as a teen: ure horny.. have sex using a condom or dont?

the Abstinence Only programs are flawed IMO
Sigh...sad fact of life. The stricter your moral code, the less people are able to adhere to it. :)

But that's where we come in Alv. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)