• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

shaking carbonated drinks (1 Viewer)

*fkr

HSC
hey, i couldn't find the reason in my text book and was wondering why carbon dioxide is released when a soft drink is shaken?
thanks

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I've never seen the reason written in any textbooks, and when I asked my teacher last year she told me I didn't need to know.

I'm making an educated guess, and there are two possibilities:
  • Shaking the bottle is causing a slight rise in temperature, and hence pushing the equilibrium to the left, producing more carbon dioxide.
  • Shaking is increasing the kinetic energy between molecules, making them collide into each other at a higher speed and frequency. High kinetic energy means high rate of reaction - in this case, the reaction of carbonic acid "decomposing" into carbon dioxide and water.
Ask your teacher too, and if I'm totally wrong, please reply and tell me so I can delete my post and no poor kid would be getting 0 for repeating it in their exam.

Last edited:

*fkr

HSC
yer my guess was kinetic energy too
i don't think heat though because the ammount of co2 released doesn't seem proportionate to the ammount of heat that would be generated

thanks

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Funny enough I did see the demonstration on Y?

I saw that they shook the can, then, hit it with a table spoon. After hitting it with a spoon on top of the can, there wasn't any pressure left inside the can. The experiment was controlled(i.e time and temp).

The can which wasn't hit with the table spoon built up pressure and water started to gush out.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
My chemistry teacher said that it had to do with energy being created by shaking it, he didn't go into anymore detail, because he said it was getting way off-topic (sif!).

vizman

HSC
*fkr said:
hey, i couldn't find the reason in my text book and was wondering why carbon dioxide is released when a soft drink is shaken?
thanks
carbon dioxide is released regardless of whether the soft drink is shaken or not. all soft drinks contain pressurised carbon dioxide, which gives that sound (and the bubbles) when the can is opened. when you shake a soft drink can you create turbulence in the can, and layers of bubbles are created near the surface, these are filled up with the vapourising carbon dioxide, and since gases use more room than if they were dissolved in liquids this creates pressure and you know what happens when you open it. if you don't shake it carbon dioxide is slowly released until the soft drink is flat - or tastes like sugar water

sorry if it doesn't answer ur question. just a topic of interest of mine :D

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Oo that reminds me - when using the salting method to get rid of the carbonate, after you put the salt in, let it dissolve, close the lid, shake it vigorously, undo the lid to let out more CO2 than if you just let the salt dissolve. You should also describe this step in any question that asks about this experiment.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
vizman said:
carbon dioxide is released regardless of whether the soft drink is shaken or not. all soft drinks contain pressurised carbon dioxide, which gives that sound (and the bubbles) when the can is opened. when you shake a soft drink can you create turbulence in the can, and layers of bubbles are created near the surface, these are filled up with the vapourising carbon dioxide, and since gases use more room than if they were dissolved in liquids this creates pressure and you know what happens when you open it. if you don't shake it carbon dioxide is slowly released until the soft drink is flat - or tastes like sugar water

sorry if it doesn't answer ur question. just a topic of interest of mine :D
Beats me why you need a tutor. :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
just clarifying some points in vizman's post

ummm shaking allows the gas to mix into fluid and also have greater contact with the surface of the fluid and can(aluminium)/bottle (glass) interface... [not the one at the fluid/air interface]

there are imperfections on the surface that allow larger bubbles to form than if not shaked.. so when u crack it open.. the atmospheric pressure drops..the bubbles expand whilst still in the fluid and raise upwards

the tapping with metal to make it not rush up.. is to resonate the surface of the can(aluminium)/bottle (glass) so the bubbles raise before the pressure drops..

heres is another way to think about it.. when u start to drink beer... and ure mate is a dick .. they will hit ure open bottle and it will start foaming cos the surface (glass/fluid interface) bubbles are agitated then they rush up to the lower pressure of the top..... foaming on ure pants..

i think there is another force/energy but i dunno where it is :(

angelxtearz

HSC
I was juz wonderin. wht reli wud u need 4 this prac. i dun reli no wht im supposed to put 4 the conclusion, so far ive only got the aim, method n equipment lol

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Your conclusion should sum up your results and observations in a few sentences or a short paragraph. If you haven't already done so, draw a clearly labelled diagram in your method or eqiupment bit.

richz

nothing, get the bottle ur teacher gives u and drink it and then guess how much CO2 is in it. This prac will be rarely asked, just need to know the equilibirum of carbonic acid, water and CO2 and wat effects equil. Just write it up like other pracs, just make up bs.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
xrtzx said:
nothing, get the bottle ur teacher gives u and drink it and then guess how much CO2 is in it. This prac will be rarely asked, just need to know the equilibirum of carbonic acid, water and CO2 and wat effects equil. Just write it up like other pracs, just make up bs.
eh? drink it? i thought one of the most fundamental science principles is to never consume the specimens! LOL

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
eh? drink it? i thought one of the most fundamental science principles is to never consume the specimens! LOL
That rule goes out the window when a class of high-school kids are given big bottles of lemonade.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
really?...........uhh.............oops.......

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
yeah thats fucked up.. prolly shouldnt have done wat i did anatomical sciences then eh?

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
That rule goes out the window when a class of high-school kids are given big bottles of lemonade.
aaaah thats why you only give them bottles of carbonated water, not lemonade. ;)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
but creative students with a bottle of scotch and some ice could foil ure plans

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)