Shall i take PHY OR IPT????...plz help! (2 Viewers)

a_s

next year im gona b in yr 11 and iv already chosen my subjs but im having doubts now....its between phy and ipt, im not really sure which 1 im better at and i cant take both cus they clash (since we only have 1 class of phy and ipt)

lets say if im equally good at them, wud u guys recommend phy or ipt???
btw is phy hard???!...is there like a lotta mathematics and word problems?

ur advice wud b gr8ly appreciated
thnx

Last edited:

sig

HSC
go physics

The course is overall taken by a smarter students thus more competitive...which thus affects the scaling of the subject

If you do 2 unit maths, that'll be more than enough to tackle any mathematical questions physics can throw at you

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Its funny because i wasnt supposed to be in Physics, i was originally in modern history and one day decided to sneak into the prelim physics class and tell the teacher i was always in his class, so he put me on the roll. Technically they shouldve rejected me due to there being too many students in the class.

For maths part, normally all you need to be able to do is sub numbers into formulas, most of which are given to you.

Physics is not hard, its more about history rather than actual science. IMO the concepts in HSC are easier than the prelim.

Last edited:

sig

HSC
lol I've loooong forgotten prelim physics...

a_s

thnx 4 the adv.

1 last qu. is it true that phy. is much harder than chem and gets scaled up higher?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Ordinarily chem and physics are similar scaling. As for difficulty, i cant personally comment as i didnt do chem but generally out of the students in my school that did both, most did better at physics

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
a_s said:
thnx 4 the adv.

1 last qu. is it true that phy. is much harder than chem and gets scaled up higher?
I believe chemistry gets scaled marginally better, at least for 90+ marks.

sig

HSC
Did both chem and phys this year

Chem: 90 Phys: 93

I sincerely beleived I did better at chemistry too...oh well wierd

The physics test was probably easier this year (11% of candidates got top band..)

but honestly I think physics is slightly harder than chem however chem at times can be pretty hard at times when it comes to calculating moles etc.

Numero Uno

HSC
sig said:
Did both chem and phys this year

Chem: 90 Phys: 93

I sincerely beleived I did better at chemistry too...oh well wierd

The physics test was probably easier this year (11% of candidates got top band..)

but honestly I think physics is slightly harder than chem however chem at times can be pretty hard at times when it comes to calculating moles etc.
wtf ?/ chem's seems difficult to me .. as its mainly memorising bs ..
but as for scaling wise yeah chem is better scaling just look at the boredfostudies scaling on the front page ..

but anyway ipt .. i hear its the most boring subject.. i know people who do it at my school and all they do is play counterstrike .. and ipt is ordinary scaling compared to physics..

so PHYSICS ALL THE WAY!!

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Well i can't commnt on IPT cause i don't do it, nor do i know anybody that does, however i can comment on physics ( and chem).

Well physics is more of a mind game for me. Usually if u attempt to visualise a concept, for example when studying projectiles in the first term of year 12 (term 4 of 2004), u juts visualise where a projectile might land and how far it will land from where it was launched..shot ..or wateva, I mean like if u shoot an arrow into the sky, at a 45 degree angle with an initail velocity of 120 km/h, obiously it's gonna go more than 50 metres horizontally, and so when u make mistakes u can easily point them out, by just looking at reality..... I wasn't supposed to be doing physics, however i didn't sneak into the class... because well it was only a class of 2 students and if i tried sneaking in i would've obviously been caught..... however i too had to make a decsion and that was between bio and phys and i didn't decide until like week 8 of term 1 in year 11. But i say do phys, however, could u possibly post up ur other subjects, it could help.

As for chem, well chem is like a whole different world to physics, chemsitry for me is harder and more challenging, however the ammended syllabus has made chem a little more theory than before instead of being 100% actual chemical reactions and stuff... which is why my chem teacher now hates the new HSC (lol)

Judging by SAM, chem is a higher scalar, however i personally think it's much easier to get 90's in physics than chemistry, although i havn't achieved 90 in physics however my final for phys in year 11 was 81% and for chemistry i recieved 71%, so yeh, but hey that's just me, i knwo a few people that feel the same way, and actually dropped chemistry and stayed with physics. But i reckon give physics a try for like 2 weeks, and if u don't like it, then go to IPT, and trust me, if u do decide to drop physics ...if u pick it up....and then feel that u've made a wrong decision, then go back to it and don;t turn around..

On one day i had double chemistry and on that day i decided to drop Chemistry, amusingly i picked it back up the next period because i knew i would regret it (for some reason or another)

In the end it's ur HSC, don;t worry about scaling, pick the subjects ur good at, and as u say ur npot sure what ur beta at (whether it's phys or IPT) then try them both out and then decide. I'm sure u'll be able to catch up on 2 weeks of work.

Last edited:

a_s

hmm...i think i might go with ur advice 'physician, ta. so we are allowed to change subjs at the beg.?..thats a relief, cus i thought i'd b stuck with phy if i ended up not liking it.

btw the other subjs im taking r - chem, bio, eng (adv.), mat(ext.1), phy/ipt and i might change psychology (which doesnt even contribute to ur uai, but only took that so i'd have 12 units altogether) to either eco, legalstd, ancient hist or bus studies...has any1 here done any of those?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
I think u should be allowed to change, well my school allowed it, i mean as long as ur not known to be the school bludger that neva completes homework tasks and just attends to try to catch a fault in the teachers accent, but well if u've been accepted into the extension maths class, then i presume u did well in maths, and therefore u arent a bludger, unless if u possess a gift of outstanding mathematical intelligence or sumthing, but if u do well then u should be allowed anyways.........

Cutting to the chase, as long as u don't continuously keep on changing from IPT to physics.... like i mean, have one week doing phyics and the next IPT over and over again for a whole term, because that'll put ur teachers off, and u might really be stuck with one of the subjects.... then u should be allowed to do the swap...

Good luck, and enjoy ur holidays, fortunately for me i have to go now and complkete my 8 essays, which i still havn't started on for english extension.

And by the way u've got a pritty good subject choice, like u've allready got the 2 science subjects and with physics it'll be 3, But yeh, i don't think u should take a course that's not gonna count towards ut UAI (psychology?.. never knew u could do that ...*pushes anykey button to proceed*)

well i don't do those subjects (legal economics and the rest) .... but i reckon legals a pritty good one, it'll provide some relief from all the calculation and stuff, and give u a nice and comforting writing, debating, sequence, a subject where u don't have to use the mathematical part of ur barin, rather u use the more thought provoking side, and well it's important that we learn about womens rights and stuff.... i can tell u one thing about legal, and this is what I knwo about the course from what i've read and what i've heard, and that is that it's an extension of year 10 history.....

So yeh that's my advice and perspective, u decide... it's ur choice...... But yeh, and economics is also pritty good, but it's ranked the 2nd hardest subject after 4 units maths. so yehh, but don't let that scare u away, don't know much about the subject so ............. yeh.

neways good luck... (*grabs right hand with left hand struggling to pull it off the key b...o...a....rddddddddddddd...............d)

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
yeah phys all the way (btw- u posted this in a phys forum, did u expect anyone 2 say 2 do ipt???)

and 2 numero uno - i hav always loved ur signiture 'i hate manchester united"
but now, ur evolution of man diagram, bravo m8, bravo....

manchester suck!!!

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
yeah phys all the way (btw- u posted this in a phys forum, did u expect anyone 2 say 2 do ipt???)

and 2 numero uno - i hav always loved ur signiture 'i hate manchester united"
but now, ur evolution of man diagram, bravo m8, bravo....

manchester suck!!!

middlesbrough all the way!!!!

JumboKHS

HSC
There are both advantages and disadvantages of doing 3 science courses.

Advantages: The main advantage is that the courses will frequently touch onto simular work, giving you a larger understanding of the topic and it could make things easier as you will be doing the work partly as revision in one subject. Having a larger knowledge of science will make any of the science related courses much easier as you will be able to relate concepts from one subject to concepts from another (especially with chemistry) to peice everything together. For example, if in physics you choose 'from quanta to quarks' as your elective you will benefit greatly from doing chemistry.

Dissadvantage: Like the others said, you can get very tired of doing so many science and mathematical.

As for ipt, i hear its very boring but easily aced if your a computer wiz.
Physics scales higher and is easily aced if you are pationate about science, which it seems like you are seing as you are considering doing 3 science courses.

I suggest you take physics and replace psychology with legal studies, so incase you begin to hate one of your subjects later on you will be able to drop it and still have 10 units.

jang

is not my real name
HSC
phys rules.
i've done both ipt and phys....

a lot of people say 'dont look at scaling'
phys rips ipt in terms of scaling...
unless u come top50 in the state in ipt, it will be hard to get a good uai counting it.
i advise u keep doing phys and i will tutor you hehehe

a_s

lol yeh mayb u can tutor me online jang

i checked out the stats for this yr on how many ppl doing ipt and phy, and surprisingly phy outnumbers ipt 10114:6846...which means im gona have like almost twice the competition and mostly with all the brainy ppl that is. i guess i cud jus w8 till my first assessment or sumthing and c how i go. but yea im def. gona do either legal or eco instead of psychology (*what was i thinking?)

now lets say if i come somewhere between average and top (or just average) in phy and if i did ipt i would come in the top 50 then which marks would b better/increase my uai?

FinalFantasy

HSC
go physics, IPT scales u down and it is stupid and it's boring and stuff... hahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)