Share an HSC success story you know of! (1 Viewer)

egnaro315

HSC
I was failing physics in year 11 , a mark of 40/100. Im not even joking.
But then I got my ass into gear and worked hard throughout the HSC and ended up with an examination mark of 85/100.
It's true what they say, talent can get you somewhere but hard work can get you anywhere.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
In Year 11, I'd always dreamed of coming first in a subject. At the beginning of the year, I told myself I'd come first in two subjects. I didn't come first in anything, despite putting 100% effort in. I also wasn't good at english and wanted to change that. So in year 12, I told myself I'd come first in two subjects and improve in english. In addition to the stress of school work, my grandfather died and I went through a very rough period with my friends, both of which made studying 10 times harder. My friends and I had numerous fights, and I was often sad and very lonely. I vividly remember stressing over my best friend in the weeks leading up to trials and the HSC itself. But in spite of everything, I came first in geography and biology, which was a massive achievement for me. Also, my maths improved drastically; in my first assessments, I'd gotten marks like 78, and by the trials, I got 100% in mathematics, which ranked me first for that semester.

Throughout the year, I'd been aiming for an atar of 97, which would allow me to get into combined law and Macquarie. There were many times throughout the year that I thought that was unattainable, especially after receiving disappointing assessment marks. But I kept my goal in mind and improved in all subjects, especially english, with a final rank of 4th and an HSC mark of 95.

Basically, I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd get an atar of 99+, and so, never considered applying at UNSW law. This isn't really a HSC success story; it just proves that hard work and perseverance can allow you to LITERALLY achieve anything, no matter the circumstances and no matter your perception of your abilities (excuse the corniness).

So my advice to current HSC students: find something you're willing to work towards. The only reason I worked hard throughout the HSC was so that I could study environmental law and actively strive to make a difference politically. I only discovered my passion half way throughout year 12, which gave me the determination to persevere. Honestly, if you don't have a particular goal, then it's going to be hard to do well.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
In Year 11, I'd always dreamed of coming first in a subject. At the beginning of the year, I told myself I'd come first in two subjects. I didn't come first in anything, despite putting 100% effort in. I also wasn't good at english and wanted to change that. So in year 12, I told myself I'd come first in two subjects and improve in english. In addition to the stress of school work, my grandfather died and I went through a very rough period with my friends, both of which made studying 10 times harder. My friends and I had numerous fights, and I was often sad and very lonely. I vividly remember stressing over my best friend in the weeks leading up to trials and the HSC itself. But in spite of everything, I came first in geography and biology, which was a massive achievement for me. Also, my maths improved drastically; in my first assessments, I'd gotten marks like 78, and by the trials, I got 100% in mathematics, which ranked me first for that semester.

Throughout the year, I'd been aiming for an atar of 97, which would allow me to get into combined law and Macquarie. There were many times throughout the year that I thought that was unattainable, especially after receiving disappointing assessment marks. But I kept my goal in mind and improved in all subjects, especially english, with a final rank of 4th and an HSC mark of 95.

Basically, I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd get an atar of 99+, and so, never considered applying at UNSW law. This isn't really a HSC success story; it just proves that hard work and perseverance can allow you to LITERALLY achieve anything, no matter the circumstances and no matter your perception of your abilities (excuse the corniness).

So my advice to current HSC students: find something you're willing to work towards. The only reason I worked hard throughout the HSC was so that I could study environmental law and actively strive to make a difference politically. I only discovered my passion half way throughout year 12, which gave me the determination to persevere. Honestly, if you don't have a particular goal, then it's going to be hard to do well.
You are truly inspiring :). Hopefully I can improve English and prove myself a genius of hard work too:). How many hours did you have to study to claw your way up, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
You are truly inspiring :). Hopefully I can improve English and prove myself a genius of hard work too:). How many hours did you have to study to claw your way up, if you don't mind me asking?
On school days, I didn't study that much. If you define studying as doing homework, making notes, revising etc then I'd do around 3-4 hours on school days, only occasionally more. Don't burn yourself out - throughout the HSC, I didn't believe in 'burning out' but it's true - if you work for long periods without decent breaks, you'll get very tired and unmotivated. So throughout the school term I didn't study that much; I'd usually be very tired, but I planned very well. I'd rotate evenly across subjects, even if I had more homework for one. I made sure that I'd be regularly revising all subjects and ensuring I didn't fall behind on anything, even the relatively 'easier' ones.

On weekends, I did about 6 hours, and throughout holidays, a little more. But honestly, quality > quantity. If you don't have a good study regime, then hours mean nothing. Make sure you spend time on what you should be studying, rather than what you think you should be studying, or want to study. Personally, I experienced the latter for maths and english. Target your weaknesses by getting help i.e harass your teachers (lol) - get them to mark essays, or ask for simple advice on what to study and attempting questions.

Good luck! :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

What a champ-I'm inspired, wow. You became in the top 250 or so in the state getting through all that. I'm impressed :)

jenslekman

HSC
You're amazing.

Now my story. I was completely fucked for legal studies, I hadn't studied a day, so then i went fucking Ham, 20 hour study day and pulled off an 88. Bitches be miring my band 5's
you're my hero btx3 but honestly i think your snake stories are 10000 times more impressive than your hsc success stories - toppling the all mighty deswa1 then jenslekman. congratulations on your trophy and hsc.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
you're my hero btx3 but honestly i think your snake stories are 10000 times more impressive than your hsc success stories - toppling the all mighty deswa1 then jenslekman. congratulations on your trophy and hsc.
I am truly honoured to be acknowledge by the boredofstudies community for my snake skills, thank you jenslekman, but let it be known you were my inspiration not only in snake but in life, thank you jens, thank you.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
i had major heart surgery during the hsc year

and still got into the course of my dreams

and soon, will find the girl of my dreams

:)

now isn't that an true, bite-sized hsc success story we can all be inspired by

RishBonjour

HSC
i had major heart surgery during the hsc year

and still got into the course of my dreams

and soon, will find the girl of my dreams

:)

now isn't that an true, bite-sized hsc success story we can all be inspired by
lol this guy. do you always think about girls/relationships?

and timeslowsdown: amazing stuff bro. just shows what dedication + hard work can do!
Once again, if you weren't first in a subject for prelims (or your goal rank e.g. top 5), don't be discouraged, work towards it and no one will stop you :)

Last edited:

Magical Kebab

HSC
On school days, I didn't study that much. If you define studying as doing homework, making notes, revising etc then I'd do around 3-4 hours on school days, only occasionally more. Don't burn yourself out - throughout the HSC, I didn't believe in 'burning out' but it's true - if you work for long periods without decent breaks, you'll get very tired and unmotivated. So throughout the school term I didn't study that much; I'd usually be very tired, but I planned very well. I'd rotate evenly across subjects, even if I had more homework for one. I made sure that I'd be regularly revising all subjects and ensuring I didn't fall behind on anything, even the relatively 'easier' ones.

On weekends, I did about 6 hours, and throughout holidays, a little more. But honestly, quality > quantity. If you don't have a good study regime, then hours mean nothing. Make sure you spend time on what you should be studying, rather than what you think you should be studying, or want to study. Personally, I experienced the latter for maths and english. Target your weaknesses by getting help i.e harass your teachers (lol) - get them to mark essays, or ask for simple advice on what to study and attempting questions.

Good luck! :)
Great advice hahaha

When u say u did 6 hours on weekends, is that 6 hours Sunday + Saturday or 6 hrs each?

eat_well

HSC
I know this might sound like a cliché but believe me, it happened and still shocks me to this day.

There was someone in my grade who wasn't liked by very many people. She never really studied hard and always relied on scabbing notes during years 7-11 so it shocked pretty much everyone when she decided to choose 4u maths (she was also ranked last for physics in year 11). She spent her lunchtimes studying in the library and in our first assessment for year 12, she was ranked 3rd for 3u and 4u. Even then, people thought she would burn out but she proved us all wrong and got into her dream course which requires an atar of 98+.

tLarge

HSC
N/A
This is my story.
I came 1st for Mathematics Extension 2 and Latin and got 5 state rankings. Impressive? but really you don't know what happened before HSC. I was performing poorly.
As someone said before, hard work gets you anywhere.
Hopes it inspires you people :D

RishBonjour

HSC
KHS ay, get out of my area
oi kunt

I know this might sound like a cliché but believe me, it happened and still shocks me to this day.

There was someone in my grade who wasn't liked by very many people. She never really studied hard and always relied on scabbing notes during years 7-11 so it shocked pretty much everyone when she decided to choose 4u maths (she was also ranked last for physics in year 11). She spent her lunchtimes studying in the library and in our first assessment for year 12, she was ranked 3rd for 3u and 4u. Even then, people thought she would burn out but she proved us all wrong and got into her dream course which requires an atar of 98+.
that is perfect.

luvglee4lyfe

HSC
This is my story.
I came 1st for Mathematics Extension 2 and Latin and got 5 state rankings. Impressive? but really you don't know what happened before HSC. I was performing poorly.
As someone said before, hard work gets you anywhere.
Hopes it inspires you people :D
congratulations tLarge! i'm half way there with that - I was also a poor performer in year 11 :p i think i've change though and i hope i can reach my goals like you :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)