"Share with the class so we can all benefit" (1 Viewer)

ShadowLighte

HSC
This is what my teacher tells us, specifically the two English teachers that I've had within the year who have limited experience teaching (i.e. have only taught at schools for a couple of years).

Do you guys agree with this? I'm kind of conflicted but more to disagreeing. I hate to sound selfish but if you share your analysis of texts, your essays, your notes, related texts (for english) and all, wouldn't that mean the people in your class have a higher chance of beating you in the HSC? So essentially, you're giving your opponents a better advantage? Which is the opposite of what people are generally aiming for?

What about friends? Would you really help friends? I mean I know you were supposed to help them but they're technically your competition too. I kind of can't help not helping friends. You can't really say that you don't understand something when you got it right in a test either.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Personally I kind of agree with you, I don't think that you should be doing this during your school exams. Your internal rank is very very important and you don't want to give that away, that being said don't be an asshole and not help someone in need, I'm saying you dont need to post your frankenblade essay on your facebook.
After internals I would encourage you guys to share your notes and essays, you are no longer competing with each other, instead you want your cohort to do extremely well in the externals to scale everyone up.
Thats the guide to a selective school i guess where people are so anal about their ranks.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I shared my stuff, people didn't want them.... So their loss.

Kymren

HSC
Only share with people who share with you.
I really like doing group work in English, we end up coming up with some really interesting ideas.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The best results overall - and individually - I have ever had as a teacher came with the class that made a pact to share everything - good and bad with each other from day 1. By seeing the good and the bad everyone improved. Had they waited until after the internals the overall results wouldn't have been as good I am sure.

I encourage my students to share - both good and bad - but would never insist on them doing so.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I shared my stuff with everyone, and lots of people gave back too. But I wasn't insecure about my rank or whether someone would actually have an advantage over me just because they had my material. Don't forget that other people might not see your material the same way you do, or be able to handle exam pressure as well. At the end of the day, you might be giving them a hand that you might not get back, but if the HSC changes the way you look at your friends and cohort as mere competition when it really doesn't need to... well it sounds a bit petty imo.

fatassmcfat

HSC
I THINK YOU SHOULD share ideas because when you put in your own words it will end up sounding different, and it is always good to share knowledge...however wouldnt share actual essays and stuff cause that is tooo dodgy unless you really trust them...sometimes I feel kind of scared though cause it actually reflects your humanity and stuff. Like a person who literally refuses to help during HSC for his peers would be the guy in the nazi camp who betrays his friends for extra rations or something

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I gave my notes to my teacher to put on the school portal but at the end of the HSC, only 7 downloads. I guess it was too much work anyway having to sign in onto a computer, open a browser, login again, click "physics", click "recent", and then right click download.

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
Collaborative learning works in the HSC and you want your cohort to do well (not only for their benefit but yours too - stuff to do with moderation of marks). But if plagiarism is a genuine concern at your school then I guess it would be appropriate to hold out until after your trials. Technically speaking, it's fine to have someone attain a higher internal rank than you if they are actually likely to outperform you in the external HSC exams. The only concern is if someone who is ranked higher than you gets a lower mark than expected and drags others down.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Doing dodgy stuff or hoarding resources to achieve a better rank is completely counter intuitive majority of the time.

If you aren't ranked first (and/or last) in all of your subjects, your marks will be influenced by your cohort in some way.

Ideally you want to simultaneously get a good rank and help the rest of your cohort perform well. Healthy competition is good, but the practices I mentioned earlier aren't really healthy.

Constantine

HSC
Basically you want your cohort to do well (so to not drag down your marks) and yet you don't want to share your hard work with everyone which is fair enough. Before the trials I only recommend sharing your resources with people who are equally willing to be helpful for you. I have friends who ask for my essays literally two days before the assessment and I was reluctant to hand it over because being in the same class I know this friend of mine did absolutely nothing and whenever I asked questions all I get is "I don't really know" back in return. So in the end I just gave her some notes I did and my essay planning.

After the trials however, share your work with the whole school.

Last edited:

britaker

HSC
I'm all for helping people with their work but personally, have never shared my work. I get possessive XD
In contrast to yours, my English teacher has explicitly told my class before not to share notes around. Which kind of goes against most of the stuff you read on here, but then again, my school tends to do well at English so at least it's not a disadvantage.

sweetiez09

HSC
I'm willing to help people out, explain things, give examples, etc.
However, I'm very reluctant when it comes to giving out my actual study notes I've done. If they're to close friends who I have a really good relationship with and trust, then no worries. I'm ranked 1st,2nd,3rd in a few of my subjects, so people tend to ask for my "notes" a week before the exam.
What really pissed me off once was when this person, who never ever talks to me or looks at me twice, Facebook messaged me the NIGHT before the exam the next day asking me to send all my notes I have on the topics that will be examinable. Maybe if you actually talked to me sometimes and didn't message me the night before I wouldn't have really minded to give a little hand.... but arghh.

d-alarmclock

HSC
For trials, be selfish. That's what sets your internal rank. For actual hsc exam, be generous. That's what will bring the entire group up.

ivyengee

HSC
The only class where we share resources is legal studies and the other classes don't really care nor encourage. But I think it's important to help those that need help if you can because if they fall behind early on then god knows what is going to happen to them during the hsc.

emilios

HSC
Even going beyond the 'competition' perspective, sharing information, notes and essays with your peers generally just creates a positive atmosphere in the class, where everyone's contributing and willing to help each other.

Don't turn into an arsehole just for some arbitrary number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)