Shipping stuff from NY (USA) back to Sydney (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know if anyone on here has tried but the costs of shipping are ridiculous.

For say, 20kg worth of clothes/etc in a 50cm cubed box, it'll cost me at least US$680 to ship back to Sydney (not including the $7 box itself from FedEx).

I've tried looking at other options e.g. Seven Seas which charge by the largest size suitcase 60cm x 50cm x 40cm (not too different from the cubed box above) will only cost me between US$215 for sea (84 days) or US$340 via air (14 days). With the money saved I could buy a (brand name) suitcase too!

Ridiculous. Luckily I'm not paying but still it's expensive.

EDIT: Turns out Seven Seas also do their "book boxes" which are 30cm x 40cm x 50cm and 13kg allowance for $170 a piece including the boxes being delivered beforehand (along with tape/pens/bubblewrap) to your address. $340 is a bargain compared to the FedEx price but then as someone pointed out to me, Seven Seas, whilst offering air, isn't trackable. If things go missing you're on a mission whereas FedEx has a tracking number and is quite professional about it. Maybe I'll just pay the extra (not really me paying though) and have peace of mind.

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Thought about a shipping forwarder (comgateway off the top of my head, there's a couple of others). Don't imagine prices will be that much better, plus you'd have to foot shipping from NY to wherever they're located (Oregon) and then back home.

Unlucky. What's the cost of excess baggage on the flight home? Surely not that steep?

kfnmpah

HSC
You can seriously take at *least* 5kg-10kg off by wearing a coat/heavy clothes and rolling up some of your clothes in tight rolls in your carry on luggage

saved my butt when I went to France a couple of years ago

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Reason why I'm keen to ship direct from NY to Sydney is I'm planning on travelling around Europe on a budget afterwards and would rather not be lugging around 3 suitcases, with at least 1 of them full of work clothes/etc and the other having useless things like my speakers, computer accessories, and various other purchases from the states.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)