shops near the ANU (1 Viewer)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
forgive the prolific (I know I didn't spell that right) thread starting, but I was just wondering. Are there any big sort of shopping centre complex thingies near the uni. Oh wait, yeah the CBD. So how is the job market around now, this time of the year? Cos i asked around where I am, apparently it's kind of slow. But i'm hoping with school starting and uni starting and whatnot, places will be looking for people. True, no?

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
just came back from canberra. theres like a westfield like centre called canberra centre and there making more shops there. also there are a sfew stores around the main cbd. btw the chix are hot at canberra and theres lots of em 80% of chix are HOT!!!

jobs i dunnoe ..i was just searching for bartending jobs and there werent any...

Kirika

HSC
Basically, you walk up University Avenue (i thinks thats the name) and you get straight to Civic. There is a big shopping centre with DJ's i think there might be Sportsgirl and things. As far as i remember its some of the more upmarket chain stores (anyone, please correct me if im wrong its a while since i have been there) umm, there is a handbag shop etc, and lots of cafes etc around the area. Quite good.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The CBD aka 'Civic' is a stones throw from uni - as said straight up university av left onto london cct and left again abit past the sydney building and you're there.

The is 'The Canberra Centre' canberras shopping centre containing Myer, DJs, Target, Supabarn, hundreds of boutiques and a food court. Whilst the centre is being expanded this is not slated for completion until the end of the year (personally I'm tipping august september completion though).

However just outside the canberra centre (between it and uni) is garema place - this is home to a whole load of cafes, restuarants, bars, fast food joints and more boutiques.

There is no shortage of jobs and a constant turnover so get in and apply. I recommend applying for supabarn (where I work) as we are currently taking on staff. Also apply where you have strengths eg a friend of mine with subway experience applied online and the next day they rang her offering her the position complete with a carte blanch to write her own hours.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
loquasagacious said:
The CBD aka 'Civic' is a stones throw from uni - as said straight up university av left onto london cct and left again abit past the sydney building and you're there.

The is 'The Canberra Centre' canberras shopping centre containing Myer, DJs, Target, Supabarn, hundreds of boutiques and a food court. Whilst the centre is being expanded this is not slated for completion until the end of the year (personally I'm tipping august september completion though).

However just outside the canberra centre (between it and uni) is garema place - this is home to a whole load of cafes, restuarants, bars, fast food joints and more boutiques.

There is no shortage of jobs and a constant turnover so get in and apply. I recommend applying for supabarn (where I work) as we are currently taking on staff. Also apply where you have strengths eg a friend of mine with subway experience applied online and the next day they rang her offering her the position complete with a carte blanch to write her own hours.
oh there aren't any advertised on the website. jobs that is. what staff you taking on? tell them I want a job :p

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
paper cup said:
oh there aren't any advertised on the website. jobs that is. what staff you taking on? tell them I want a job :p
Use seek.com.au and jobsuide.com.au (The Canberra Times). You can also try Career Hub (careers.anu.edu.au) once you get your student number.

eurox

HSC
neo_o said:
Use seek.com.au and jobsuide.com.au (The Canberra Times). You can also try Career Hub (careers.anu.edu.au) once you get your student number.
Think you mean jobsguide.com.au mate hahaa. (You missed the g).

Another site you could use is mycareer.com.au and you might want to try careers.colesmyer.com.au as there are loads of ColesMyer stores around here (you won't get a CM job without going through their online process). Lots of new shops opening here too, especially in Gungahlin with the ir expansion (20 minutes by bus from the City).

You won't find it hard getting a job here... otherwise there's always other ways ;) hahaha

Last edited:

Venusian

HSC
keep an eye on the employment section on the anu web site if youve got any exprience in admin, theyre an awesome employer (i work for em) aside from very decent pay they understand that you need time off for exams (unlike some such as superbarn who couldnt comprehend that if i worked x shift and failed my exam the following day i wouldnt be staying in canberra to be able to do any shifts ever)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Um supabarn jobs are advertised in the canberra times (so jobsguide.com.au). We are taking on frontend (eg checkout operators) and nightfill. Deli and produce are also possibilities (though the later only if you have experience - and preferably speak greek).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)