view the 2001 bilogy hsc paper
mc question 10)
its very similar and the answer is (a)

so it should give you an idea of what the snswer should have been

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
amyg238 said:
Oh man, I just realised my beech plant procedure was really wrong.
Well I chose 2 plants at room temperature and 6 in a fridge which would have its temperature lowered 2degrees everyday. BUT I forgot to mention how the hell the plants would photosynthesise in a frige!

Ah well.
yeah i did that b ut i said...each had equal amount of water on a reuglar basis with the same amount of light? i said to place a light like a 30 watt light bulb in each location to ensure that they had the same light?

but you wouldnt have to decrease the temperature on the one plant? you can just test a random group of the same type of plant for different temperatures
count the number of leaves they each had before the experiment and after like a 4 week period, count how many leaves they have on their branches and how many are on the ground due to leaf fall? so i wouldnt consider your answer way off, you ll get credit for that

philipadams123

HSC
for the experiment you didnt have to specify equipment, you just had to theoretically infer that you were keeping the plants in 'ambient' temperatures of vaeying ranges. without proper lab eqpment this experiment would be nearly impossible to achieve accurately, as a fridge is far to colder temp to analyse, and room temp is to warm.

as for blood level of gas -- co2 increases and o2 decreases due to mitochondria in surrounding cells using o2 and excreting co2 as functions of cellular respiration.

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
foofighter2006 said:
for the experiment you didnt have to specify equipment, you just had to theoretically infer that you were keeping the plants in 'ambient' temperatures of vaeying ranges. without proper lab eqpment this experiment would be nearly impossible to achieve accurately, as a fridge is far to colder temp to analyse, and room temp is to warm.

as for blood level of gas -- co2 increases and o2 decreases due to mitochondria in surrounding cells using o2 and excreting co2 as functions of cellular respiration.
that makes no sense at all...design/create or explain whateve rthe verb was, the procedures you would use to show 'the concept of leaf fallin in beech plants'how is it possible to explain the procedures with no reference or specific reference to the equipment whatsoever? umm a fridge is not too cold, because yo ucan set the temperature to suit similar temperature to winter during australia. room temperature is not to hot as i specifically noted that it would be approximately 23 degrees which is not too hot, and the idea of using a light bulb to heat the atmosphere in the other plant was used.

theres not too hot or too cold involved in this experiment as you are explaining the effects of various temperatures affecting the leaf fall of the seedling, you could choose any temperature jsut aslong they had a great enough interval to show a difference in leaf fall.

k4t5UM0t0

HSC
8 Marker
Organisms survive only in a narrow temperature range (Examples)
Australian endotherm: Example + adaptation
Autralian endotherm: example + adaptation
Australian plants: increase temperature = increase transpiration
= decrease water = death
Enzymes (function) and get denatured at high temperatures
Hence organisms unable to maintain homeostasis at higher temperatures will die
Darwin/Wallace theory of isolation and natural selection 'survival of the fittest' Australian ectotherms are at high risk of extinction due to incapability to maintain homeostasis.
Australian endothems reproduce pass favourable characteristics to offsrping.

This is what I wrote, and i don't know how i managed it in the line space

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
k4t5UM0t0 said:
8 Marker
= decrease water = death
Darwin/Wallace theory of isolation and natural selection 'survival of the fittest' Australian ectotherms are at high risk of extinction due to incapability to maintain homeostasis.

i dont see homeostasis as a consequence of this increase!??! it said 0.7 degrees every decade, dont you think the change in temperature is a minor change that wouldnt cause a homeostatic disaster?!? im not syaing youre wrong anything but yeah?

shona1990

HSC
Buiboi said:
k4t5UM0t0 said:
8 Marker
= decrease water = death

i dont see homeostasis as a consequence of this increase!??! it said 0.7 degrees every decade, dont you think the change in temperature is a minor change that wouldnt cause a homeostatic disaster?!? im not syaing youre wrong anything but yeah?
Yeah, I agree. A gain of 0.7 degrees per decade is hardly a big deal in the short term, and wouldn't they adapt to keep up with the temp changes? Pass on fave characteristics and manage to survive?
I talked about that and gave examples of the characteristics Aust plants/animals have to cope with the harsh environment: sunken stomates to avoid water evaporation, light coloured fur to reflect heat, etc. I wouldn't have thought of extinction....

eppingMCE

HSC
yoakim said:
Man, "reasons to monitor oxygen levels" I blabbed on about how important it is for monitoring the health of the patient, erm and how to detect disorders in the lungs etc
Lol i can tell u BSed the whole thing.. Oxygen is essentail for monitoring of the pateints health becuase the patient's cells require them if oxygen is too low cells will die, thus compromising the physical and psycolical fuctions. hence effecting their health. and then u keep on that track.

ChrisAlli

HSC
I think with the plant question the main point they wanted is that temp was the only variable.

I stated how the experiment would use a large number of plants in a wide vairety of temps under same light conditions

That oxygen question was fairly simple, most of the information was given in the ststement

Belly button

HSC
ChrisAlli said:
I think with the plant question the main point they wanted is that temp was the only variable.

I stated how the experiment would use a large number of plants in a wide vairety of temps under same light conditions
ok ok but did anyone put a step in the experiment as
GROW THE PLANTS FIRST?
they are seedlings......

sheshi

HSC
for the oxygen thing all cells need oxygen and if no oxygen reaches the brain then the patient will have a stroke hence the reason for the oxygen machine attatched to the patient....

dont know if thats right but sounded good to me

emoslitorist

HSC
Buiboi said:
reasons to monitor oxygen levels
I wrote something lame about how because heart turns blood oxygenated as it beats so it's to ensure the heart is still working, hence the person is still alive.

Please, someone tell me that makes sense.

musiche

HSC
Belly button said:
ok ok but did anyone put a step in the experiment as
GROW THE PLANTS FIRST?
they are seedlings......
hey yer i did lol...but the rest was kinda bulls*** - i made up equipment...i think they were all in clear 'boxes' that had adjustable temperatures...:p :bomb:

anyway, over all it seemed okay....

pretty much everyone at our school finished early by like 20mins [even after checking over] and left.....did that happen anywhere else???

gl with any other exams!
xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)