Short-Listed for Encore 2006 (1 Viewer)

lindo

HSC
heya there - i was just wondering if anyone was selected? the two from my school who were nominated for performance didn't get in... and they're absolutely amazing, so i wonder who DID actually get in - the standard must be insanely high! and did anyone get nominated/accepted for musicology or compo in the end?

musik-nerd

HSC
hey there,
i know someone who got selected to perform on violin - shes reaally good
but i think the actual selection process is based a lot more on having a varied program, ppl from across a range of schools, range of instruments styles etc. rather than who is absolute best. so getting nominated and not selected doesnt necessarily mean not being as good - so big congrats to everyone who got nominated (and anyone who is selected how exciting!)
hopefully i get to go watch.

cya =)

p.s. i got nominated for compo, but not selected. but im ecstatic anyway!

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Is it in fact true that being nominated for Encore means a receiving full marks for the performance, composition or essay? Conversely, does not being nominated automatically mean that the item did not receive full marks?

HSC
N/A
Two year 10 accelerants from our school got nominated... =)

Is there a concert? When would it be? Because I'd love to see it.

(187: contrapositive, not converse.)

lindo

HSC
musik-nerd said:
hey there,
i know someone who got selected to perform on violin - shes reaally good
but i think the actual selection process is based a lot more on having a varied program, ppl from across a range of schools, range of instruments styles etc. rather than who is absolute best. so getting nominated and not selected doesnt necessarily mean not being as good - so big congrats to everyone who got nominated (and anyone who is selected how exciting!)
hopefully i get to go watch.

cya =)

p.s. i got nominated for compo, but not selected. but im ecstatic anyway!
wowww congrats!!! even being nominated for compo is brilliant - so few are chosen! i'm so excited to see the performance (vulgarfraction it's in feb - tix are on sale already from the opera house).. 187 i think nomination guarantees full marks for the component you were nominated for (that specific performance piece or compo etc) but you CAN still have gotten full marks if you werent nominated - as musik-nerd mentioned it's a performance, and so they choose interesting and original performances etc that are of course amazing and quite 'showy' but you can definitely have recieved full marks even if you werent nominated

did anyone else get in? i assume all the letters are out right, because the kids at my school found out like two weeks ago

easy target

HSC
hey i got picked for encore, got my letter just before i left for schoolies which was awesome. Only one from my school to get nominated or picked which was surprising because and unexpected.

rivergumrob

HSC
I got into Encore, and we had one other nomination in our class of 13 (music 1)...
The guy who got nominated (band mate of mine in Olivine...www.myspace.com/olivineband...hehehe) found out about his nomination and then two days later, after I though I wasnt nominated, I got a letter saying I was in to perform my composition...'Blueprint'...I was heaps surprised coz its a rock song and i play electric guitar, and they dont normally go for that for Encore...Im stoked anyways...

hopethisworks

Banned
North Manly Beach Sexual Preference: Centaur Bans
HSC
N/A
187 said:
Is it in fact true that being nominated for Encore means a receiving full marks for the performance, composition or essay? Conversely, does not being nominated automatically mean that the item did not receive full marks?
I know how this works (just know, don't ask how).

The examiners when marking your performance put in a note if they think your performance of a particular piece is exceptional, and would be a valuable addition to Encore.

So if you are nominated, that's fantastic. It would be highly unlikely you would get a mark less than 5/5 for the performance of your piece if you were nominated for Encore. That doesn't mean that you would get full marks for *all* of your pieces, just that one.

Then, when it comes to choosing which pieces actually make it into the concert, they balance up a range of styles, instrumentation, public vs. private schools, gender considerations, whether a school had a piece in it last year etc. etc. etc.

The nomination is the most important thing really. Don't worry if you didn't actually get to play in the Encore concert: as is the case throughout the music industry, when it gets to concert programming there's much more to it than just the performance or composition being good (or not).

cadylayne

HSC
I know the girl who topped the state in Music 1 and Drama in 2003, she did performance elective for all and didn't get nominated for either Encore or OnStage. So it's clearly not who's gotten the best overall marks. Encore nominations are based on variety of styles and instruments. It doesn't necessarily represent the absolute best.

HSC
i went to go see encore with my music class at the beginning of this year...it was amazing! so many talented people there! i loved it.
congratulations for the people who got selected...and nominated ofcourse, i cant imagine how you much have felt!!
good luck for everyone this year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)