Shortage of science and mathematics teachers (1 Viewer)

Which level of Matheatics will you consider teaching if you would ?

• Year 7

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Year 8

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Year 9-10 Standard

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Year 9-10 Intermediate

• Year 9-10 Advanced

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • General Mathematics

• Year 11-12

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Mathematics Extension 1

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • HSC Mathematics Extension 2

Votes: 20 69.0%

• Total voters

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
The Department of Education and Traning is experiencing a shortage of science and mathematics teachers, and will offer to offer subsidised fees, hexes and equivalent for new students considering secondary teaching of science and mathematics according to my deputy teacher.

I'm sure there are many individuals who excel at Maths, would you consider being a mathematics teacher ?

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
No, it irritates me to continually have to teach the same thing over and over again at that level. Tutoring/lecturing at uni is a different story.

HSC
N/A
I think there should be an "all the above" option in the list. That's the one I would have ticked. So I haven't voted. (For the record, I have actually taught at all these levels)

Of course noone would be doing maths at uni if noone does maths at school. And noone will do maths at school if there's noone at school to teach maths.

I taught maths briefly at uni many years ago and maths and chemistry at school. But for many years I chose to continue teaching maths at school level. And no two of my lessons are the same.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
buchanan said:
I think there should be an "all the above" option in the list. That's the one I would have ticked.
The poll is multiple choice, allowing you to choose up to all of the options available. ;)

I would teach year 11-12 maths if I ever became a maths teacher.

HSC
N/A
"hexes"...

I think there should be undergrad and postgrad options on there, but that's straying a bit off.

I wouldn't personally ever consider teaching at a high school, especially maths. But out of all the options I chose the last. Less painful.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Really? A shortage? My school has a bit of an excess of Mathematics teachers compared to the other faculties. In subjects like English, Science and Social Science (particularly in Year 11 and 12) we have many teachers taking more than one class, (E.g. one teacher taking a 2 unit English class whilst also taking an English Extension class, one teacher taking a Physics class as well as taking a Chemistry class...etc) so those faculties seem to have some extent of teacher deficiencies but this "multiple classes" thing doesn't happen much in the Mathematics faculty. A lot of them are like substitute teachers even though they're actually working there full time...lol

HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
The poll is multiple choice, allowing you to choose up to all of the options available. ;)
OK. I've voted now and ticked all the boxes.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Trebla said:
Really? A shortage? My school has a bit of an excess of Mathematics teachers compared to the other faculties. In subjects like English, Science and Social Science (particularly in Year 11 and 12) we have many teachers taking more than one class, (E.g. one teacher taking a 2 unit English class whilst also taking an English Extension class, one teacher taking a Physics class as well as taking a Chemistry class...etc) so those faculties seem to have some extent of teacher deficiencies but this "multiple classes" thing doesn't happen much in the Mathematics faculty. A lot of them are like substitute teachers even though they're actually working there full time...lol
This could change withink a few decades ... You may not notice it if you are in an academically superior school, but many students do dread science and maths ...

Affinity

HSC
Trebla said:
A lot of them are like substitute teachers even though they're actually working there full time...lol
A babysitter and a teacher are not exactly the same thing. I've had my share of substitute teachers in Highschool... I would say it's....

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I knew it very early in year 1 that teaching will be something that I won't do in the future for a job :p

...Just can't picture myself, well, teaching, a roomful of kids XD

H

housemouse

f3nr15 said:
but many students do dread science and maths ...
The only thing Im aware at the moment is that students dread english the most because its full of crap.

Raginsheep

HSC
To be honest, I've seen classes give so much crap to teachers its just not worth it in my opinion.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Affinity said:
A babysitter and a teacher are not exactly the same thing. I've had my share of substitute teachers in Highschool... I would say it's....
They're not actually substitute teachers its just that their presence is almost 'like' a substitute teacher. They generally have only about 1-2 classes of their own out of the entire Year 7-12 classes.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Trebla said:
Lol, Last year at my school one teacher taught me 5 out of 7 subjects! I had him for maths, science, PE, sose, and tech. Pretty sure he wasn't even qualified in at least two of those, espcially considering he was only in his second or third year out of uni.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
buchanan said:
Describe the crap.
Some teachers are decent, although about 3 are total pushovers.

Throwing paper darts at teachers.
Throwing balls at teachers heads when they are turned around.
Throwing up to 50 or so paper balls during a lesson.
Calling a male teacher a bitch.
Walking out of lessons 10 minutes early.

HSC
N/A
Which schools and which teachers would tolerate this crap?

Would the perpetrators of this crap do it on the understanding that it would be tolerated?

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Of course they only do it because they know they'll get away with it. Other teachers don't get this happening to htem as they wouldn't tolerate it.

Some recent ones include:

Putting fine saw dust (from a sander bag) all over a teachers back when he was turned away.
Using an airhorn in inside in English.
Putting laxatives in a teachers coffee.
'Tampering' with siren/bell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)