Shot at UAI with 10u (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
I was thinking of dropping Extension 1 and Extension 2 English, but this would leave me with 10u for my attempt at a decent UAI.

A lot of people are telling me to keep Ext 1 at least, to keep the buffer, but I don't know if I can endure it much longer. It is SO shit. Boring, hard, stressful... I hate it. Ext 2 is ok but obviously that has to go if Ext 1 is goin.

Can anyone help me? Anyone else havin a shot at a UAI with 10u?

nomz

i did the HSC last year with only 10 units and got a UAI over 90. If you think doing the 12 units will just be stressful etc its probably best just to do the ten units and concentrate on doing well with them rather than attempting the 12 then losing motivation etc... that said however extension subjects do scale really well...

theone123

blue essence
HSC
depends if you are fairly confident that the 10u you are left with you can do well enuf to get a decent uai.

eshi

shy
HSC
If you really dislike Extension 1 then it's going to be hard to get through it for the HSC no matter how bright you are. I think that in the end people do well in subjects that they like and only having 10 units isn't the end of the world, I managed to get a UAI over 90 with only 10 units, mind you I did do two extension subjects, but if I hadn't have liked them then I wouldn't have done well anyway. It's really up to you, I mean if you think that you'd like the challenge of sticking with something even though you don't like it then don't drop em but in the end only 10 of your units are going to count anyway so being able to spend more time on things that you are confident with may not be such a bad idea? Talk to your teacher maybe? (I know...sometimes they aren't very helpful...) :eek:

mattyg87

HSC
just keep ext 1 and 2. you will regret it otherwise when you get your uai back. they are good scaling subjects, and you can afford to stuff something else up

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Mate - think about it this way. When it comes down to studying time, can you really afford the time to revise something you couldn't understand all year.
I ended up with 10 units and achieved a uai of 92.75 where 86 was needed initially. Had I taken even 1 more unit, I can say that I would not have enough time to dedicate to my other subjects.
It highly depends on what your mix of subjects is as well.
I had ext 2 engl, drama, pdhpe and biology. I was terrible at pdhpe and biology. And needed all the time I could spare to pull their marks up. Also it helped with my drama performances by having a lot of time available.

What I would recommend is keeping the 3rd english unit though for another term (trust me the term flies by quickly). If you need any help drop me a line. You will see if you're succeeding or its weighing you down.
The last thing you need is to go out of the last exam knowing that if only you had a subject less you could entirely dedicate yourself to that particular exam.

hello99999

HSC
i say if you like ext. 2 then keep them both. even if you just bludge along in ext. 1 and get average/poor marks if you're enjoying ext. 2 its worth it because your ext. 2 will scale nicely and will help if you stuff up another of your subjects. only drop down to 10 if you're more confident with all those subjects than you are with ext. 2. what are your other 10 units by the way?

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
I did 10 units and got 96, and wasn't really confident with 2 of those units, but I took a chance.

A mate of mine did 11 units, one of which was Ext. 1 English, and it ended up not counting and he got a UAI of 98.5ish. Make of it what you will.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
From my experience of the HSC... having ten units is actually better- you have more time to concentrate on fewer subjects. By half way through the year you're going to hate all your subjects anyway and just want to drop them all. Just keep your head up and do your best is my advice. :)

ramin_87

it really depends, in the 10 remaining units r u very confident and sure that you will do well in all of them, if so, u can drop ext 1 and 2 english. However, if in the other 10 units, u are struggling in some of them or in doubt of doing well, keep english ext 1 and 2. My advice is to just hang in there abit longer, maybe till the end of the term and see how well u do in your other subjects in the half-yearly, then u can make an informed decision. GOD bless u.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
do 10 units of subjects you enjoy and are good at. i did 10 units too and got 99 +, why overload yourself when you dont have to? some people are comfortable doing that- (overloading) - but if youre not, then dont.

SlipStream

HSC
I hear everyone's stories about how they did 10u and got a UAI of 90 or over, but bare in mind that my idea was to do 4u english and then do easy, bludgy subjects!

But it all backfired when I moved to a new school and the course they are doing is unbarably boring! Robert Browning Poetry, Jane Austen... uhhhh!!!! We were doin Crime Fiction at my old school - about fifty times more interesting.

Here's my HSC, right at the moment:

- Ext 2 Eng
- Ext 1 Eng
- Adv Eng
- Mod His
- Anc His
- Gen Maths
- Sen Sci

I'm thinking more and more about keeping Ext 1 - regardless of how long I can keep awake during the after school lessons.

More advice very much appreciated! I read everyone's comments.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
well that sounds like sorta what i did, i did:

4 u english
anc,. history
mod. history
society and culture

sooo... it worked for me!
dont worry bout the boring content in egnlish.. you'll get into it after awhile.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
dont drop, english is your only good scaling subjects, the histories stay the same and i beleive general and senior sci go down a little bit if u dropped then you woiuldnt havw an positive scaling subjects, so even if you averaged marks at about 90, u might not acheive a uai of 90

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
do 10 units and try ur best at em.. dont put up with a subject u find boring and tedious.. i did 10u and got a uai i was very happy with

HSC
i'd say keep them unless you're pretty confident that they're not going to contribute to your uai, in which case you should probably drop them and concentrate on your other subjects - in hindsight, it's something i should've done and saved myself a hell of a lot of grief in a subject that i knew perfectly well would never count.

supergirl

HSC
SlipStream said:
I hear everyone's stories about how they did 10u and got a UAI of 90 or over, but bare in mind that my idea was to do 4u english and then do easy, bludgy subjects!

But it all backfired when I moved to a new school and the course they are doing is unbarably boring! Robert Browning Poetry, Jane Austen... uhhhh!!!! We were doin Crime Fiction at my old school - about fifty times more interesting.

Here's my HSC, right at the moment:

- Ext 2 Eng
- Ext 1 Eng
- Adv Eng
- Mod His
- Anc His
- Gen Maths
- Sen Sci
Mate, history is not a bludge. If you wanted a bludge subject, pick CAFS--I don't even do the course and I took the multiple choice test the other day and got 100%. Ha!

mouldy_bread

HSC
I say stick with 4 u english if you like ext 2 so much. theres no point in losing your safety net and a subject you're good at just to drop a boring one. As you can see on my signature I have 2 different extensions as well as chemistry. All are scaled highly provided you get the marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)